Thread: Testing for OUPV (6 Pack) ?

Default Testing for OUPV (6 Pack) ?

I'm in the process of getting my OUPV charter license and have a couple questions for you charter boat Captains.
    I haven't been to a school or taken online classes to obtain a license. I've done everything on my own and what an adventure it has been, drug screening, medical exams, letters, sea service, TWIC and the $$$, it's defenitly been an eye opener. Anyways recently I submitted my license package for review a few weeks ago and just got the letter in the mail and email stating that I'm eligible to test for the tonage I requested (OUPV nearshore and inland). I have several yrs of sea service on 3 ships not including my qualifications on many other small boats and could probably qualify for a 200 ton license but I don't want to set myself up for failure, so I want to start off with a 6 pack and upgrade to 100 masters and up from there. I'm a 13 year USCG veteran and a Boatswain's Mate, so I've been driving ships and boats for over 10 yrs. I noticed that in 2010 the test changed from 30 questions on the navigation rules to a 50 question test 90% pass rate. The plotting changed aswell from 70% passing score to now a 90% score. I feel confident in the nav rules test, my CG Deck Watch Officer's exam was about to expire after 5 yrs and I just passed it last month. I'm really not too worried about the other stuff like first aid and CPR and fire fighting, but I hear that the plotting can be a real pain. 90% and I really don't know what they are looking for. Has anyone here recently taken the test, is there set and drift, maneuveringboard or tide table conversion problems? I hear that you can use a whiz wheel (time/speed/distance)? I also hear that you can test 3 times and if you fail you have to wait 60 days to retest, hope it doesn't come down to that, but if it does do you have to pay another 90.00 testing fee?

I'd appreciate any info, tips, etc.
    Thanks Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

If I remember correclty you can't upgrade a " 6 pack" licence to a masters licence. Get the largest licence you qualify for, get the near coastal endorsement and take the test once. I have a 100 ton master near coastal and I can upgrade to a 200 ton if I had enough sea time on a vessel large enough. The one who knows a lot about this is AKCapt. I think he still teaches classes at AVTECH in Seward durring the winter. The test isn't very hard (especially with your previous training) and I think that it would be a good information for rereation boaters to use too ( a lot of saftey inforamtion in the test).

Good luck
    Boatless

When I got my 20 ton through Alaska Waters Consulting in Anchrorage they just told anyone that wanted just the "6-pack" not to bother because it only took a little more studying and testing to get the 20 ton and I didn't bother with the 100 ton because I only wanted to use it for chartering out of Homer. I concur with FISHFACE. Go for the highest level you think you might ever need because it's a lot easier to just get it out of the way right now and just have it done with.

Of course it's probably too late for you now since you've undoubtedly spent quite a bit doing it yourself, but the course at AWC was $750 and they pretty much guaranteed you would pass the tests. I was in a class of 9 people and not one of them failed to get the license they were after.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I sent you a PM. Want to let you know go for at least a 100 ton because no STCW requirements, and if you can get your towing at your first license you sould because if you don't it takes 3 years of bridge time on a tow boat and most don't pay for your learning time.

I have been an instructor at the State of Alaska Maritime Training Center for 7 years and a charterboat captain for 25.

You can email me at crackerjack@gci.net and I will answer your questions. You need some guidance, so you don't waste your time and money. Shoot me an email. I am away right now on vacation and can answer your post better from outlook than on here. I will repost my response on here for anyone else that wants to see it.

thanks

Andy

Thanks for the helpful tips MGH55 and AKCAPT. Will defenitly pick your brains on this stuff.
    Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.