Thread: High Volume Outboard Jet Pumps

Default High Volume Outboard Jet Pumps

I been reading up on high volume jet pumps for outboards on the River jet forum.
    Seems like a worthwhile option on any outboard motor 200 hp or better.
    I am curious to see if any of you have them on your motors and if you do, what are your opinions of them?
    Tennessee

Default Outboard Jets

If the Outboard Jets brand is what you're referring to, their hi-volume, or "power jet" increases the impeller diameter from 7 3/8" to 7 5/8". I have one on my 2004 Evinrude DFI 225 pushing a Sea Ark 2472. The motor WOT rating is 5500 - 6000 rpm and with an uncut impeller will turn 5800 rpm. Having just moved up from a 175 with a 7 3/8" pump, I can say the largest difference to me is performance under load. The ability to climb up on step with 3 adults, moose hunting gear, and 300 gals of fuel is day and night between the two. With two adults and a day trip load, it'll top out at approx 43 GPS mph, and cruises comfortably at 4300-4500rpm/30+ mph.

IMO the larger pump is well worth the money, but if you're thinking of moving up, you need enough ponies to take advantage of what it can offer. I suspect anything under 200 hp would require cutting back the impeller which somewhat negates the whole purpose. It seems to be a nice match with the 225.

Hope this helps,

Brian

The 7 5/8 is way nice on the 140 hp suzuki which by the way is a standard option.....i'm in agreement with the outdoorsman on everything except for the horse power.....look at the 140, talk to folks that have them....

My motor will either be a 200 or 225. First choice is currently the Yamaha V Max followed by the Mercury Optimax. But I still have four months to change my mind, lol.
    Thanks for the tips guys. High volume pump seems like the way to go.
    Tennessee

I have a 2005 Evinrude 250 with the power jet and I am loving it! Up on step in a flash and I like the way they have upgraded the housing and shaft blots.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

River jet forum? Please share!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/