Thread: Thoughts on the 30-350 Rem. Mag.

Default Thoughts on the 30-350 Rem. Mag.

My Grandpa has a 30-350 RM that he is giving to me. However, I do not know anything about the caliber except that it is a wildcat. I am just wondering if this is an okay caliber for game, or if it is just a paper puncher.

I used to load for one back in the 1970's, but details are sketchy now. Though I don't have any experience with today's 300 WSM, my recollection is that the two are somewhat similar in results. The WSM is loaded to much higher pressures, so unless you look at pressures too, it might be apples and oranges for me to say they have things in common.

One point to watch for-

The guy who had the 30-350 built back in the 70's had specified pretty tight chamber specs, and as a result I had to neck ream the cases. That issue was resolved when I tried reforming some 6.5 Rem cases, but if I recall correctly I had to do some jimmy work with the shoulder in that process, so it was kind of a tradeoff between two hassles. My log book from that period has gone missing in the middle of reorganizing my library, so I can't be more specific.

Good round. The guy went with a faster twist, and his rifle was at it's happiest with 180 grain bullets, with 190's coming in second.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    My Grandpa has a 30-350 RM that he is giving to me. However, I do not know anything about the caliber except that it is a wildcat. I am just wondering if this is an okay caliber for game, or if it is just a paper puncher.
    I've no experience with one, but from the description alone its external and terminal ballistics should be practically identical with a 30/06 so I'd consider it a hunting cartridge.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

It's a short action 30-06, and I'd venture to wager that you're loads will be within a grain of powder of 30-06 loads. That with the strong caveat that all rifles are rules unto themselves and work up loads with care and caution.

So long as you have the reloading dies you should be good to go. You can have them custom made, but that'll be pretty spendy.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks brown bear, I will look into the twist rate if I can find it. And I do have the reloading dies and some brass. Thanks guys.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You can measure the twist rate yourself.

Use a tight cleaning patch on a jag, to where the cleaning rod turns. Mark it on top, and the spot on the cleaning rod. When the rod turns one full revolution, mark the rod, again, and measure the distance between the marks.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks smitty, I will do that.

Rocket Man