Thread: 9D/9E Spring Brown Bear 2012

Default 9D/9E Spring Brown Bear 2012

Does anyone have any info they would be willing to share/trade for spring brown bear down on the ak peninsula. i am wondering about past experiences down there and what i should expect. hunt dates are from may 12-20th. i am not tied down to an area yet but will need to specify where soon. any info on past experiences, locations, weather, snow levels, inland vs. coast, hunt tactics, outcomes, etc. would be greatly appreciated. i have some great info for other ak hunts or other great hunts in the lower 48 for that matter. thanks.

well all i can say is make about 3 different plans, that way if the area you picked has someone/guide sitting on it you have another option...the pen can get busy in some areas at some times, sometimes your all alone...as for area....not sure many guys in here will tell you right where to go. hunting areas are getting more and more crowded each year due to internet research...its a sensitive subject. get a map, throw some common sense on it, call some biologists, some air taxis. just do some old fashion leg work and you'll have a great adventure, bear or no bear.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

sdrhunter... I'm right there with ya! I also want(ed) to do this hunt but the lack of available knowledge, along with the logistics involved, sure did hamper making the plans... Good on ya for offering to trade info.

Best of luck!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    well all i can say is make about 3 different plans, that way if the area you picked has someone/guide sitting on it you have another option...the pen can get busy in some areas at some times, sometimes your all alone...as for area....not sure many guys in here will tell you right where to go. hunting areas are getting more and more crowded each year due to internet research...its a sensitive subject. get a map, throw some common sense on it, call some biologists, some air taxis. just do some old fashion leg work and you'll have a great adventure, bear or no bear.
    been there and done that jake. thanks for the input though. i don't see what the big skiff is about offering info about a brown bear population in a location that is grossly over populated. moose numbers are down. bou numbers are right there with the moose and the brown bears are out of control. most poeple don't eat them, can only kill 1 every four years, and quite frankly can't have brown bear mounts in every nook and cranny of your house like a sheep. brown bear info is hard to get and it doesn't quite make sense to me. mark my words, i will be more then happy to share any gained knowledge from this hunt with anyone looking to hunt these blasted predators. just ask. cracks me up... it's just a brown bear and they are running wild down on the peninsula. hope somebody chimes in, i have only been there in the fall. thanks.

Running wild eh? Well I can say after guiding out there regularly, this year was TOUGH for us. I hunted the same valley this year as 2 years ago. 2 years ago, we saw 107 brown bears. NO moose and lots of caribou. This year same valley, same hunter, same everything (just better weather), we saw maybe 10 bears, the same ones over and over, only 1 sow and cubs, and killed a dandy. We did see 5 bull moose this year and cows and calfs! I ran into lots of guided hunters in King Salmon who had rough luck as well. 6 guys at one camp only got 2 between them guided both sows. Even with a 1 in 4 it gets crowded. In my experience, be ready to hike, it is a great time to get a dandy (spring). Good luck.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Running wild eh? Well I can say after guiding out there regularly, this year was TOUGH for us. I hunted the same valley this year as 2 years ago. 2 years ago, we saw 107 brown bears. NO moose and lots of caribou. This year same valley, same hunter, same everything (just better weather), we saw maybe 10 bears, the same ones over and over, only 1 sow and cubs, and killed a dandy. We did see 5 bull moose this year and cows and calfs! I ran into lots of guided hunters in King Salmon who had rough luck as well. 6 guys at one camp only got 2 between them guided both sows. Even with a 1 in 4 it gets crowded. In my experience, be ready to hike, it is a great time to get a dandy (spring). Good luck.
    Bear behind every tree
    Sending you a pm Gooch.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

"it's just a brown bear and they are running wild down on the peninsula" "brown bears are outa control"
    then why do you need info? call and air taxi tell him you want to shoot of the those "blasted predators" and send him a deposit.... have a great trip, someone will toss you something i'm sure....just remember to respect the bears.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    "it's just a brown bear and they are running wild down on the peninsula" "brown bears are outa control"
    then why do you need info? call and air taxi tell him you want to shoot of the those "blasted predators" and send him a deposit.... have a great trip, someone will toss you something i'm sure....just remember to respect the bears.
    even though IMO there are far to many brown bears down there, i have not been there in May and a spring hunt is foreign to me. i will stand by bears everywhere even if i don't see one, haha. that just means they are in the hills if i am on the coast or vice a versa. place is grossly overpopulated. have done lots of legwork. am looking for more specific information than the old standby suggestions. if someone wants to share in trade with me. thanks.

i understand....
    Master guide 212