Thread: New 44, tested and passed

Default New 44, tested and passed

I got a myself a new 44 magnum a little while back, Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter, dang that's a mouthful. Anyway, I've been wanting to try one for some time now, having fired a couple Bisleys that needed testfiring after work in the shop. I found the grip very easy on my boney skinny hands, whereas with my old SBH the corner of the frame had the nasty habit of splitting the inside of my thumb with anything over about 1200fps. I contemplated cutting the bbl to 5.5in, then decided to just leave it alone after shooting it some. I have a 4" 629 for my river gun, and plan to make this one more of a hunting handgun.

All of the cylinder throats measure right at .430, which surprised the heck out of me, I've never seen a Ruger where they all measured the same, let alone the right size. The only modification I've made is to do a triggerjob, 3.5# and breaks like glass now. It was and has been too cold for me to slip out to the range, but I did make the drive to the indoor range to sight in and burn a couple boxes of shells. The rest of my time has been mostly spent casting bullets and loading ammo for when it warms up. I procured a Diamond D chest rig for it shortly after buying the gun, so I have means to pack it, although I'm reminded of the flour sack from True Grit everytime I look at this new hogleg.

Having a week off after working the Dallas Safari Club show, I made the journey home to SW Oklahoma, taking my new shooting iron with me of course. I'm from that area of the world and my folks have a ranch out in the hills there. Aside from being excellent hunting for deer, elk, and turkeys, they like the rest of that part of the country have an overabundance of feral hogs. Having never taken any big game with a CF handgun, I must say I was impressed. A 245gc Keith bullet,cast from straight Linotype, powered by 9.0gr of Unique, made the full trip from front to back through a 300lb pig. One shot show over, except for the eating part that is.

All I have to say is, Snyd really is onto something with this BisHunter business, get one you won't regret it.

I want one in 45 colt!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I want one in 45 colt!
    Same here and I been lookin a long time now, they didnít make many in 45.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a Bisley Hunter and it is one of the most accurate revolvers I have had the pleasure of shooting. Trigger sucked out of the box, but that was easily addressed and now I can find no fault. With handloads it will shoot under an inch at 50 yards. Nothing to sneeze at.

Congrats on the BisHunter and first handgun kill! If I remember right, it was you Kid who got ME goin on the BisHunter. I was looking for a 5.5 45 Colt Bisley and you gave me the heads up on this Hunter for sale right here in Fairbanks. The rest is history as they say. Thanks again!

LuJon keep your eyes peeled at rugerforum.com they come up from time to time. If I see one I'll let you know. Within the past year Ruger/Lipseys did a "clean up" run of the 45 Colt Bisleys. I think they are up to total production now of just over 300. Mine is one of the first run of 279 back in 05. If you can get one for less than 800bucks you'd be doin good. Unless it was beater.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I've wanted on in .45 for years as well, I kick myself for not getting one when they were available.

just picked up the 44 mag at the base in anchorage.
    Went to walmart for some shopping afterward and saw they had the .454/.45 in stock. $780 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SocalSnipe View Post
    just picked up the 44 mag at the base in anchorage.
    Went to walmart for some shopping afterward and saw they had the .454/.45 in stock. $780 bucks.
    You must be talkin about the Super Redhawk as opposed to the Super BlackHawk like this....

My 45 Colt BisHunter

Last edited by Snyd; 01-27-2012 at 18:36.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You must be talkin about the Super Redhawk as opposed to the Super BlackHawk.
    Shoot! Sorry guys. Jumped the gun on that one. Yes the super redhawk.