Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep hunt comfort items?? what would you bring

Default sheep hunt comfort items?? what would you bring

OK so we decided on the dates. Will fly in on a sheep hunt for 14 days. This will be my first trip of this length. I have a couple others of shorter durations.

Need to start working the gear lists now. I have plenty of gear to pick and choose from.

What I am looking for from you all is what comfort items would you accept as worth their weight to carry with you?

There will be two of us going it for this hunt. 9th-22 Aug is the plan.

"Puffy" gear seems to be a favorite. Anything comfy for your feet so your boots/feet can dry.

A pair of crocs for sure! Won't go without a pair. A sleeping pad and pillow does the trick.

A lb log of summer sausage and box of saltine or Ritz crackers. Around day 8 to 11 you'll be craving the salt and fat that both will provide ... of course with lots of water.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I have an old piece of blue closed cell foam the thin kind that old sleeping pads were made of. I cut it to be about 18" x 24", and I fold it in half twice to make it a compact neat-square. Everyone I have ever been out with is jealous and brings one in the future.

It weighs next to nothing, I put it in my day pack to sit on for lunch, and sit on it at breakfast and dinner too, put it on the ground outside the tent to stand on in bare-feet, rest my elbows on it when spotting from prone position, etc. etc. etc. Wouldn't leave home for an extended trip without it. Having a dry surface to sit on, kneel on, rest elbows on, etc. is priceless.

also, +1 on crocs.

Oh, and if you are flying in, bring a head of cabbage and some salad dressing. some green nutrition after about a week will hit the spot.

Puffy suit and crocs are on every trip. Smoked salmon and candy bars are both worth the weight as well!

I don't go on a lot of hunting/camping trips, but when I do sausage always sounds like it would hit the spot real well, as stated in post No 4, but I always forget to add that to the list. but, for things I do bring (we pack everything in a few miles for moose hunting, never been sheep hunting but I'm sure its the same) I almost always bring a pair of sneakers, and some hand warmers, the sneakers are real nice cause my feet can relax in them and on hot traps my feet sweat like crazy as I get some insulated boots so I can use them int he winter too. THe hand warmers are nice for when its raining and 25* caribou hunting with 40 MPH winds blowing the rain through your water proof tent and a tarp, stick a few in your sleeping bag, one at your feet and on at your chest and you'll be roasty toasty, most all the night long. If you stick socks and such things in your sleeping bag while you sleep to dry them out like I do, it helps with that too. So, sneakers and hand warmers, and I will add sausage to that list.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Want to be comfy ? Bring your wife!!

Quote Originally Posted by farnorth View Post
    That my friend is a good first post.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Extra snacks like cheese or pepperoni sticks and candy bars.

Now that I think back on it, my brother dug out a can of spam and pilot bread on our last goat trip. Salt, fat, and something crunchy after days of mountain house is nice!

Adult beverage of your choice to celebrate success, within moderation of course.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    A lb log of summer sausage and box of saltine or Ritz crackers. Around day 8 to 11 you'll be craving the salt and fat that both will provide ... of course with lots of water.
    A 5lb block of cheese would be a good compliment to that if you can manage to slip in your partners pack before heading out.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL all the sheep hunters i know have about 60lb with them... my cot takes up half that... dutch over and wood stove tend to leave it behind. .. normally have several cases of beer along, a full line of HOSTESS, along with several pounds of potatoes.. fresh meat etc...

One day one of them suckers will walk down off the hill through camp

till then i like to watch i comfort
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

+1

Welcome to the Forums, Farnorth.

So far, in every post you've made, you've proven "Genius", keep it up
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks for the welcome , but I have been here for a while. I just thought I would give him something to think about .

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL all the sheep hunters i know have about 60lb with them... my cot takes up half that... dutch over and wood stove tend to leave it behind. .. normally have several cases of beer along, a full line of HOSTESS, along with several pounds of potatoes.. fresh meat etc...

One day one of them suckers will walk down off the hill through camp

till then i like to watch i comfort
    I think they call that baiting Vince!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I think they call that baiting Vince!
    323 had never been past my camp as far as i know.. So... i cant be BAITING.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ain't that the truth....though my wife handles the elements just as well and hikes just as faster or faster than some of the folks I have taken up the mountain with me in the past.

That said she did have me haul in 3 liters of wine in on both sheep hunts we did last year.

Luxury item for me is air pads and a rangefinder. Could easily get by with a CCF foam pad and leave the rangefinder behind as well.....but I don't.

Took my wife hunting 2 times.. maybe thats why i am working on my 3rd

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast