Thread: cabin noise

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Default cabin noise

Have been thinking about getting a radio for listen to programs, catching the news...keeping in touch.

Would think KTNA is reachable from my location 8 miles from Talkeetna.

Has anyone used one of the C. Crane units? http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/

Any recommendations?

If have 12volt batt, A cheap car radio with antena, might work. I bought mine a shucks yr,s ago was like 29.00 bucks and has cd player in it to..

I have A CC Radio 2, and it is the ONLY radio that reliably picks up Anchorage AM from the Caribou Hills. I've tried the most expensive Radio Shack one, a Grundig, A Sangean, and a couple others, but the CC is the way to go.

I literally spent more on several inferior radios before a swallowed the idea of a $180 radio, but I should have just saved time and money and gotten the C crane CC from the getgo.

Thanks for the input.
    Have heard many good things about the CC, the new and older models.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    If have 12volt batt, A cheap car radio with antena, might work. I bought mine a shucks yr,s ago was like 29.00 bucks and has cd player in it to..
    I second this, car radios with a external antenna are the only ones that have consistently worked for me. Plus a 12v battery can be charged with a small solar cell.
    Chuck

Don't overspend. We're about 8 miles NW of Talkeetna and an old boom box am/fm/cassette thing pulls in KTNA without much problem.

I agree with Toofewweeekends... I have 2 radios at my Cabin... we are above the big bend on the Yentna
    I have a cheap little am/fm pocket sized radio - that uses 2 AA batteries and I have one of those multi channel crank up radios that one of the kids gave me... I can pull down all the FM radio stations in Anchorage and the valley with no problem...

I'm much happier with an iPod. I keep a little AA cell weather radio around, too. That's the only news I care about.

We're near Twofew and KTNA is no problem on a old cheap AM/FM/cassette player with a broken antenna. Most of the time we can also get KSKA.

Car radio and a CB
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Bought one of these works great and I live about 60 mi outside the city in a valley. Antenna up high will pickup farther away at work we where in the basement ran a wire to the roof (5 stories) put antenna up there, other wise you couldn't pickup anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/multi-purpos...71393628210549

More food for thought.
    THANKS everyone!

I'm about 8 miles south of Talkeetna and just have a fairly cheap am/fm radio and a ipod docking station with built in speakers which was also relatively cheap from Freddie's in Wasilla and they work great. KTNA comes in loud and clear and a few fm stations come in too from Anchorage. Plenty good enough for me. I've got hundreds of cd's loaded onto the ipod so I'm good to go music wise. Now I just need to find a female type partner to boogie with!