Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best rifle scope?

Default Best rifle scope?

I'm looking to put a scope on a 30-06 in an attempt to have an all-purpose big game rifle. Is it possible to have one scope to hunt anything from moose and caribou to sheep and goats, and if so, what do you recommend? Also, as an aside, what's your opinion on the worth of a stainless barrel over blued?

In my opinion the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 the best scope for the money. Superior glass to Leupold, constant and generous eye relief, etched glass reticle, sturdy construction, lifetime warranty. The 3x9 power is as versatile as you can get.

Stainless steel is the way to go for Alaska. Much less maintenance in the field.

I think a leupold 3x9x40 will do it all for you.

swarovski Z6

Ditto,,with northway,,,I have 2 that have been used and abused for 30 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by trout hound View Post
    I'm looking to put a scope on a 30-06 in an attempt to have an all-purpose big game rifle. Is it possible to have one scope to hunt anything from moose and caribou to sheep and goats, and if so, what do you recommend? Also, as an aside, what's your opinion on the worth of a stainless barrel over blued?
    Are you looking for power/objective or manufacturer recommend? What's your budget? Is the gun ss or blue?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I'm more looking for power/objective recommendations but I'm all ears for manufacturers too. Barrel will be stainless- just wanted to check people's opinion on that.

A Leupold 3-9X40mm is the most reliable, clearest, best bang for your buck scope that one could buy.

3-9x40 seems to be the standard. I like the tweener scopes in the 32-36 mm objective and usually some variation of around 2x to 9x. They make nice compact packages and are plenty bright for the time of year I hunt.

For a hunting scope, Leupold is king, imo.

for my money on a big game rifle its a 2.5-8 Luepy. Plenty of low end for close shots in brush, plenty of top end for any distance im willing to shoot at a critter, and nice and light and compact and super clear.

My favorite 'go-to' scope has been Leupold VX II 3-9x40 for a long time. It is a great scope for a fair price. I splurged this year and got Swaro Z3's to go on a couple of rifles after looking through them and hearing from others who love them. I also love my VX III 1.5-6. One of these days I will bite the bullet (pun intended) and get a Nightforce for a tactical rifle.....

I personally don't like large objectives and when people talk about light gathering ability I just feel that if that is a concern to dial down the power. A smaller objective at a low power sucks in light very well!

There are so many good scopes out now I think it would be harder to pick a bad one than a good one (within reason)!

a fixed 4X or 6X scope is tough to beat as an all around choice for most hunting. For stand hunting whitetails maybe leaning to the 4X, but a 6X42 leupold is pretty tough to beat as an all around scope. If a variable scope lights your fire, something with a maximum magnification of around 10X is plenty. I've owned and use a lot of different scopes, but the 3.5-10X40 Leupold is significantly my favorite variable though the Conquest 3-9 is a very fine optical instrument. You can spend more money, but out to lot farther than most shoot, you won't top it.

SS is better than CM in all ways save being able to finish it in a high polish blue. For a hunting rifle that is to be used in all weathers, I'll take SS every time.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have the Conquest 3-9x40, nice scope, but don't like the rubber ring on the ocular lens as I can't find a flip up cover that will stay on the silly thing. For the money and the performance I would probably just go with the VX-11 if I had it to do over again. For serious packing around one of the midsize scoped would be nicer, (2-7x32 etc) all depends on how addicted to magnification you are. I do like that 3.5-10 though...

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    I have the Conquest 3-9x40, nice scope, but don't like the rubber ring on the ocular lens as I can't find a flip up cover that will stay on the silly thing.
    A Butler Creek #14 eyepiece fits the Conquest 3-9X40 like a glove, but requires you remove the rubber ring. The ring is simply attached with two-sided tape if you ever decide to reapply the ring.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have Leupolds on three of my rifles. Medium priced scope, very good quality. There are better ones but more $$$, and lesser ones.

I have a couple fo the Bushnell Elites one is on my .338 and it seems to work great, most of my hunting is on the North slope in August so the 3 x 9 by 40 works great for that...

Everybody in my family uses Leopold, a couple of 4X's and a couple of newer 3x9's. They are an excellent scope with great customer support, if ever needed. I got started with Leupold many years ago and one item I took into consideration was given me by a sporting goods shop in Fairbanks,AK. There was a big flood that covered all of downtown Fairbanks more years ago than I like to think about. During the flood the shop owner said that the Leupolds were on the bottom shelf and underwater for one full week. When the waters subsided, every single Leupold was perfect and merely had to be wiped clean. The same was true for Lyman, which is no longer in the mix; the same for Bausch & Lomb, now owned by Bushnell; every single Redfield had to be returned to the factory for repair; he didn't mention Weaver. I checked out the optics of everything then available and felt that none were superior to Leupold so I went with them and never had a problem for MANY years. My eyes aged and I began screwing the eyepiece out more each year so that I wouldn't need glasses in order to shoot. I am pretty certain that I had one screwed out a good number of turns. I dropped my rifle onto my cement floor in my basement and the rifle landed on the rear end of the scope; the result was a slight bend in the threads. I contacted Leupold and was told to send it in, which I did. They told me that they would replace the scope; I asked if I could upgrade from 4x to 3x9 and they ended up upgrading it at their cost. I only lost the shipping to them. That kind of customer service is unheard of! Needless to say I remain a loyal customer, and my kids have all purchased Leupolds. We live in AK and have hunted in pouring rain and temperatures as low as -40F with no sign of a problem. Their optics remain excellent.

leupolds are what i prefer, the 2-7x32 varixII is a great all purpose piece of equipment and quite reasonable in price, currently i think they call them vxII. This particular scope has been on a 270, 338 and 2 diffrent 50 cal muzzleloaders without skipping a beat and has helped me put more venison in the freeezer than any other scope i own. In the past, I worked in a gun shop for about nine years and can only remember sending back 2 leupolds for repairs.

i have a redfield 4x fixed it was $399 it has great glass but year before last out in the sound bear hunting the front lense rattled loose. nothing but fog the rest of the hunt. i havent sent it back but will in the next month, I'm hoping for the best.this year i bought a vortex its not as clear but i think clarity is related to price point. i wanted a leupold but locally i could not find the right retical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast