Thread: What's the story on Karluk, for Steelhead ?

Default What's the story on Karluk, for Steelhead ?

Hey, FWater Fishing Folks, hoping you can help me out with some info

I've been working with a guy down here in the shipyard in Port Townsend, WA,...
    pretty good Wood Boat master shipwright
    and he's all wound up about coming up to go chasing Steelhead in the Karluk River,

Does anyone have the basics of the recent story, so I can fill him in ?
    He's a diehard fisherman, not interested in Salmon as much as Complete Steelhead maniac

So any info on Basic Logistics, like RT cost of flight to the lake, I guess he'd bring 3 friends to share costs,
    and are there public use cabins available (is it massive advance reserv required?)

Or, is it still all about the Thorne River, for Steelhead, closer to the Pacific NW ??

any tips, or discouragements on the idea?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Just sent ya a pm

Must have seen the Fly Fishing Film tour piece on it. Looks interesting to say the least, I will visit it someday. Its on the bucket list.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I imagine, by as much as he talks about it, it's been a dream of his for a long time,

probably heard about it from some Commercial Fisherman, as he is a Shipwright, for his living,
    has been fixing up Alaskan Boats for the last thirty years or so, used to be quite a few wood boats fishing the Karluk area

He's a genuine good guy, worth gettin the story for, wouldn't want to send him to a slaughterhouse of crowded streambanks

Any info by PM would be welcome too, just lookin for "General approximation," of the logistics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

havent seen the film but have fished the karluk for steelhead. most of the people who fish for steelhead fish in the portage area which is about ten miles below the lake. i dont think the fishing for steelhead is all that good up by the lake. downstream from portage there are areas that are supposed to be good, some of which can only be reached by floating the river. there is a cabin up at the lake managed by the refuge. there is a large and a small cabin down at the portage area managed by the native corp through their business called koniag willderness adventures. the large cabin is rented out every year during steelhead season by commercial guides and not availabe to john q public. the small cabin is really small not much bigger than the bunk beds inside and could be used by one guy or two really good friends. there is a cabin down at the karluk lagoon that is owned by andrew air service and that can be used to access the lower river on foot in the area of the fish weir. after the run moves up though the fishing at the lagoon is nonexistent. the other access options are to stay at one of the lodges in larsen bay(probably the most popular option) and then they can bring you to the portage area by 4 wheeler over the trail from the head of larsen bay. the other option is floating the river which can be done with a guide or by yourself. the air services can rent you rafts etc as well as fly you in and pick you up. the run starts early september, is usually best the middle two weeks of october but is fishable at least at portage into november. the bears are usually up at the lake during steelhead season and not a problem but the weather that time of year can make camping a spectaculary miserable experience.

Very Cool lakecreek, thanks,

Koniag just raised their prices on the guard shak and yurt to way more than they are worth!!! I have stayed in the guard shak several times for fall steelhead but now that it's 100 bucks a night no effin way.

i get down there by float plane... a beaver load of 800 pounds or less which is how i roll is 1400 round trip with sea hawk and similar with andrew air

I dont know how die hard your friend is but if i go this fall i'm camping... wind, rain and cold be ****ed

Default Karluk Floattrip 2011

Hi Guys. I floated down the Karluk two times. In September 2009 and September 2011. We started both times by the Karluk Lake Outlet and floated down in 7 days to the Lagoon. Island Airways or Andrew Airways will bring you out there and pick you up. We stayed the first night up by the Lake in the Cabin from Koniag, rigged up the boats and the rest and from then on we stayed in tents. Here a short report from the 2011 Trip: Started Stept 24th to Oct 1st. 5 Guys, 3 Tents, 2 Rafts. Landpermits from Koniag. During the nights the teperature was 14 Fahrenheit. Our target fish was Coho's with hoping to catch some Steelies. Fishing method: 95% Flyfishing. Fishing Tackle: Flyrods #5/6 for Dollys and Steelheads (fished with Beads), #8 for Cohos and Steelheads (fished with Streamers). From the Outlet to Portage (middle Section of the river) we caught uncountable Dollys, Sockeyes and Cohos (In 2009 at the same time no Cohos - too low water level). From Portage downstream the Steelheadfishing began. Further up, no Steelheads. At Portage itself you can rent the Yurte from Koniag (not cheap) or the Shak. But the fishing is much better further down. You will find the Steelhead-Spots: fast water ! In the slow water you will catch Dollys & Cohos, the Steelheads we caught in very fast water. Best practice was bead fishing. Streamers worked well, but never in the same way as the beads. Take big beads ! Each of us caught 5-8 Steelheads per day (in the section between Portage and the Lagoon). I made a youtube vid from the whole floattrip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9SBF4cKtzQfrom I'm pretty sure the fishing is going better and better as later you go. Our problem was, that we had to take the latest direct flight back to Europe - and this was on Oct 5th - next time we will go Mid October/End October. We all where impressed about the amount of the steelheads. OK, they are not in the same size like they are in Canada - but is that important ? On the other side, you are alone at the Karluk - together with a huge amount of fish and bears - Heaven on earth !!! I made a full report, but it's in German. Just watch the pics:http://www.floaters.ch/float-trips/k...attrip-karluk/ Have a good time and all the best from Switzerland ! Urs