Thread: Daugters First Coyote through her eyes

Default Daugters First Coyote through her eyes

Long and short of it was this couple weeks ago at my farm. We had two colts get taken down with in a couple days of each other by yotes. They would get them from behind and take out there ass/guts. The mares of these two are pretty skidish so i'm sure they never fought the yotes.

So with one colt left i'm back to being a trapper. Set some power snares out with my daughter around where i knew they come through used the second killed colt for bait. Shot one calling. Day 3 checking the snares after work when i can hear huff/choke sound. Caught a yote, check it out got it around the chest, and no gun took it out that morning cause it was -40. Run back to town grab a .22, give my daughter the option to go to hockey practice or shoot a yote.

Now hear is why we all should hunt/trap the adrenaline and excitment that was coming off my daughter was amazing. She wrote a story on her i pod i had to share.

I was scared, some people say it's the adrenaline the makes you hunt. For me the thing that makes me hunt is that excitment of the first coyote you shot. I was home from school when dad came home from work he gave me two chooses go to hockey or shoot a coyote. I love both but went to get a coyote. So i got my coveralls on and reached the little farm. I felt like I was going to faint, we got to the tree which had a piece of wire on it called a snare which had a big coyote on the hard white ground. The coyote was still alive caught around the chest. If the snare was any lower the coyote would of escaped. Dad gave me the .22 rifle it looked at me in fear i was so shaky i missed my first shot. The next shot was right smack in the heart. I guess it is a hobby only I can love

Great story ,but sorry to hear about colt .

Great 1st post! Welcome to the forum.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

That's great on the first coyote, thanks for sharing. I hope that you can get more around your farm and keep them from killing anything else of yours.

Thanks, we got 5 in a week one called in and 4 snared!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

excelent!!! i love it. great post, and an awesom first one at that!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

What kind of rifle is your daughter is holding .

Not sure the make it's an old single shot bolt .22 where you pull back the bolt to cock it as a hammer. It was my great grandfather trapping gun. Got it's 5th generation kill under it's belt.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 88outdoors View Post
    Not sure the make it's an old single shot bolt .22 where you pull back the bolt to cock it as a hammer. It was my great grandfather trapping gun. Got it's 5th generation kill under it's belt.
    I love that, 5th generation firearm,....what a topping on the cake of this story,

Welcome 88, and tell the girl, "She's AWESOME,...."
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I love kids, and I love kids hunting. Way cool. Thanks for sharing that, especially w/ the photo. Now all of us old guys expect more of them, right gang?
    5 coyotes don't hardly pay back the loss of your colts. That just stinks. Sorry to hear about that.
    Don't forget, post more kids stories when you get them.
    ARR