Thread: Holster Question

Default Holster Question

Hello all I have a couple of questions. I am moving up to Fairbanks in the summer to be stationed at Ft.Wainwright and would like to know what type of holster you all are using for your S&W's when in the outdoors. I have a older S&W M29 with a 6 1/2 barrel that my grandfather gave me when I turned 18 and that he bought when I was born. It is blued and wondered if you think I should have it redone with some other finish.
    Thanks for any help, right now I have only known a week but my wife and I are already going crazy with all of the different adventures that we can have. I am sure that you will see this sight plenty in the furture and hope to get to know many of you.
    I also have a Remington 30-06 Mountain Rifle that I would bring, I am going to replace the stock but would rather not by a whole new rifle. I do reload and it already has a good scope on it, will this rifle work for general hunting in the area. I still have to look into all of the fishing gear, spotting scopes, pack frames, etc.. So I dont want to end up in the hole before I make it up.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by joshbayles View Post
    Hello all I have a couple of questions. I am moving up to Fairbanks in the summer to be stationed at Ft.Wainwright and would like to know what type of holster you all are using for your S&W's when in the outdoors. I have a older S&W M29 with a 6 1/2 barrel that my grandfather gave me when I turned 18 and that he bought when I was born. It is blued and wondered if you think I should have it redone with some other finish.
    Thanks for any help, right now I have only known a week but my wife and I are already going crazy with all of the different adventures that we can have. I am sure that you will see this sight plenty in the furture and hope to get to know many of you.
    I also have a Remington 30-06 Mountain Rifle that I would bring, I am going to replace the stock but would rather not by a whole new rifle. I do reload and it already has a good scope on it, will this rifle work for general hunting in the area. I still have to look into all of the fishing gear, spotting scopes, pack frames, etc.. So I dont want to end up in the hole before I make it up.

Josh
    If you don't mind using the gun, I would just carry it the way it is, and get it refinished when it gets too beat up. I like Kydex belt holsters, if you can find one for your gun, because they don't hold water or dirt, but they are noisy in the brush and hard on the guns finish.

I think you're set up just fine, don't buy a bunch of stuff 'til you get out a bit and have a good idea of what will work for you.

I think HBM gave you some good advice. I wouldn't get Grandad's ol' smith reblued or coated. I'd find a holster that YOU like that won't keep you from carrying it. It comes to personal preference really. I personally like leather belt holsters. Simply Rugged Pancake holster gives you the option to carry strongside or crossdraw or you can get the Chesty Puller harness if you want to carry it on your chest. I like leather and wood. Some guys like rubber and nylon. Each to his own. I tried a Uncle Mikes under arm rig once and hated it. Everytime I want to add or shed a layer I had to mess with straps and snaps and buckles, etc. I carry my 4" Redhawk strongside in a Simply Rugged with a good stout gunbelt cuz that's what I like.

Your wood/blue 30-06 will be fine. Just use a good premium bullet. Regular ol bullets like CoreLokts will work fine on moose if you make a decent shot. But, we've got big brown fuzzies up here and if you have to shoot one of those guys you'll want a bullet that will hold together. Same with your 44. Some good 300ish gr hardcasts at about 1300fps and your good to go.

After you move here you may decide you want to change some things. It'll give you a good excuse to buy more guns!

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

EDIT: OH... and welcome to the forums!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Take a look at Ringler Wyoming combo holster, I have tryed everything in the bush and this to me is the best, You can find them on line and give them a call they will build the holster for your gun. I have two of them and they work perfect.

Some sort of a cross draw holster might work ok. I use one from Galco that is really the old Jackass Leather Goods holster. If your gun is one of the early 6.5 inch barreled S&W revolvers it's value may surprise you, I would look it up.

Try the Guides model holster from Diamond D Custom Leather in Wasilla, Look up on line or give them a call, Great leather holster, can be worn many different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by North65 View Post
    Take a look at Ringler Wyoming combo holster, I have tryed everything in the bush and this to me is the best, You can find them on line and give them a call they will build the holster for your gun. I have two of them and they work perfect.
    +1. I've got one for my scoped Super BlackHawk Hunter.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Diamond D really does offer a great product. If you'd like to see a kydex option feel free to give a call as well.

I've been very satisfied using Blade-Tech kydex holsters for many years. My S&W .44 has been in a Blade-Tech belt holster for years.

If I was starting from scratch I would probably go with a crossdraw belt holster in kydex, or as I have mentioned to Frost a nice clicky kydex holster on a chest plate, similar to a Guide holster or Eagle SOH but without the two hand fumble required with the hammer straps on leather and nylon holsters.

I think that as far as I can tell you are already gtg with your armament just carry the way u are already use to, then get some hard cast for the 44 and some Cor-lokt for the 30-06 and give AK hell when u get here. I grew up in a village of 74 people here in the state and have seen a lot of bi-tee,scratchy four legged animals dropped with less.