Thread: Family/Fly Fishing Vacation Outside Alaska

Default Family/Fly Fishing Vacation Outside Alaska

I need some help.

My wife and I haven't been on a vacation in six years and we finally may get a chance this March/April. We have three criteria for our destination that have to be met;
    1. There needs to be warm weather and a beach for my wife to enjoy
    2. There needs to be fly fishing near by
    3. It's not the Florida Keys, which is my first choice. My wife doesn't like to fly and Florida is just too far. She'll fly, just not that far for a vacation.

So what do you think? Any suggestions?

March / April to get to warm may take a longer flight than the wife might like. I'm researching Hawaii, Belize, Baja, Costa Rico, Bahamas, and Florida. I will be going to one of these places soon and a couple in the next couple of years. Rooster Fish, Bonefish, Tarpon, Permit, etc. The family can spend as much time as they want on the beach while I'm fishing.

When I started reading your post I was thinking Bahamas and bonefish. Of course a trip like that has been high on my list lately although I don't care necessarily to fly that far eaither.

Last time I was in Hawaii I found a little honey hole 2 hours before flying home and only wished I had taken a pole with me. A quick search came up with this post http://globalflyfisher.com/reports/hawaii2004/ It is older and has some positive and negative comments but there may be some usefull information. Obviously the winter is getting long as there are many of us thinking about warm weather and fishing already.

AKBighorn,
    Jody is leaving to Bonefish Hawaii Feb 17th to March 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    AKBighorn,
    Jody is leaving to Bonefish Hawaii Feb 17th to March 2nd.
    You guys are killing me!

Hmmm... My wifes birthday is thursday. I'm thinking she wants to go fishing. Yup, time to get some plane tickets

Winter is definitly getting too long. I drove down to Cooper Landing to fish under the bridge last weeked. It was -14 but was able to fish for an hour. Landed one rainbow. It felt good to cast a line.

I Googled Hawaii bone fishing and it looks like there is a couple of areas to fish. I'm sure there are more, they're just not written about on the web.

Oahu. Talk to Mike Hennessy at www.hawaiibonefishguides.com

I'm ready to hit Cooper Landing. I have to coach hockey this weekend and then I'm going to the Peninsula for hockey. Sounds like a rod in the truck is a good idea.

Why would you wanna go to Hawaii if you can go Bahamas?

I have heard lots of great things about Turneffe Flats in Belize. Never been, but the reports make me want to go. Friendly vacation idea for the avid fly fisherman and wife alike.

http://www.turnefferesort.com/?gclid...FY2b7Qodql3Cuw

Why you ask HI versus the Bahamas well it is a 5.5 hour flight and with a little home work it can be fun and you can save a buck or two if you do your research. Check out some of the blogs about do it your self stuff as well you might be suprise that someone has done some of the work already for you. If you happen to be retired Mil or DOD Civ you also have some options at Rec camps some are better then others but still a smoken deal if you can get in. If I were not to fly to HI for some close fun I would more than likley look to Honduras Roatan Island excellent Suba and fishing Combos there as well.

Ugh! Now I want to go tooooooo!

I would love to go to the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Belize, and all those places named above, but for a quick fix, Hawaii it is. Eventually it will be, I have been to all of the above.

#1 reason for the OP to go to Hawaii is that he said his wife didn't want to fly far so the Bahamas was not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    #1 reason for the OP to go to Hawaii is that he said his wife didn't want to fly far so the Bahamas was not an option.
    keep forgetting. Its an hour flight for me

Hawaii is sounding like the best optiion.

All this talk made me do it. My wife got a trip to Hawaii to go fishing for her Birthday It's a good thing she enjoys fishing as much as I do. I'm a lucky guy. Next year it'll be further south.

Depending on when next year. I may go with you.