Thread: Utah in April

Default Utah in April

I'm gonna be in the Ogden area in early April. Wondering if anyone has any experience in this part of the country this early in the season. Will only have a day or two to fish so think I might hire a guide, but hoping someone has some pointers. Don't need honey holes or miracle flies, just some hints in the right direction, I'm fairly intuitive.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

A little bit....it can be dry and sunny then, still snow in the mountains. By all means go visit Arches and maybe Canyonlands, they are nearby and really beautiful that time of year, and no crowds. Arches is a popular mountain biking place. Easy to see most of the good stuff in one day. Take a camera!

How far are you willing to drive? The Green River has great trout fishing, plus it's a very scenic drive through Flaming Gorge
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Like I said, maybe a day to fish, so willing to drive far enough in the morning to get there before daylight and be back for work the next morning so a few hours would be the limit.

You can do it in a day. I made that run several times when I lived in Ogden. The drive is nice and the trout average around 17in.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

The green is okay, not what it used to be because of invasive snails. Probably seven hours round trip from

I never did great on the Ogden. Probably a little better off driving a little further to the logan, blacksmiths fork, or the weber. Hopefully they're not blown out with runoff while you're there.

I had a chance to talk to a guy from that region last summer when he was up here fishing. I don't recall the waters, but that's his favorite time to be out and about. He was showing me a couple of his fly boxes and they were dominated by Chironomids, San Juan Worms, Skwala and BWO, if that tells you enough about the fishing.

I lived there about twelve years ago but knew the area well. In April it could be rough to find something thats not blown out with high water. If you get lucky and conditions are good it could be real good. In Ogden you can fish the Weber or the Ogden rivers. Both are small with brushy sides but are great nymphing streams. Up Ogden canyon above pineveiw reservoir is the south fork of the Ogden. Its also i nice little stream.

If you dont mind driving a bit I would head toward Logan. The middle portion of the Blacksmith fork near hardware ranch has always produced for me. Although snow may still be deep up that way. Also the little bear is by far the best sucess story in the area. I helped with trout unlimited in the long process to restore that river so, Im a bit bias. It is a beautiful stream with several guides working this area.

Well I could go on all day but that should get you started. By the way those Utah trout love a beadhead prince!

Hillbilly

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to start looking at some maps and doing a little planning. I might just hire a guide since I'll probably only be able to fish for a day or so.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Raptor,
    I just booked tickets for april too, headed down on the 18th. If things are blown out with runoff, look for dams and fish below them. I'll do a little research because there are some private property laws that have gone back and forth the last few years. I'll try and shoot you a pm with some spots that should be fishable (so long as they're not private property).
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I would fish the middle section of the Provo river, near Heber. Lots of public access, good fishing, and it is a Tail water. They have such little snow this year, runoff should be minimal. I fished the Provo for five years while going to school there, it is a special river.

Call Angler's Inn in Ogden (they're the resident experts that will know all the water conditions and success rates and patterns to use) @ 801-621-6481

I spent my teenage years there just South of Ogden, in Layton and still have all of my family there. The middle Provo is a good bet but a crappy commute South from where you'll be. Forget about the Green/Gorge/Uintahs/Logan area I would skip since the waters are good right where you'll be. Stick with what's close and you'll have more productive time with less hassle.

The Weber and Ogden might not be as high as most years with their light snow pack this year. If it were me going back for a day I would take my gear and drive up Weber Canyon (I'd go that way even if I was going to fish the Provo). Then personally for nostalgia's sake I'd drop into Morgan and fish the Weber above the campground and below the Golf course, and then drive up and fish East Canyon creek from the turnout above town before Zarehemla, then drive up to the resevior and follow it around out by Henefer and hit Devils Slide at Croyden. Then you can either hit Lost Creek or head further up and around towards Provo beginning with lots of good holes along the Weber as you follow it up to Echo resevior.

If you choose the Ogden you will be relegated to a small tight fast stream until you get above Pineview to Causey and then if it were a little later in the year you could drive the dirt road through to Cache Valley and hit Paradise/Porcupine/Blacksmith Fork, left hand fork, and then down to the Logan river...but again I wouldn't.

I would definitely just chase the Weber up and see where it takes you. It will be the best/prettiest drive with the closest most productive waters and the friendliest small towns along the way. Don't waste too much time on the lower waters in the canyon unless you like scrambling over boulders by the highway, it just takes a few minutes to get above the canyon to the many honey holes that dot the many miles up into the Uintahs.

I guess that's the nice thing about being Air Force spawn. Home waters abroad and aplenty...
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I had a chance to talk to a guy from that region last summer when he was up here fishing. I don't recall the waters, but that's his favorite time to be out and about. He was showing me a couple of his fly boxes and they were dominated by Chironomids, San Juan Worms, Skwala and BWO, if that tells you enough about the fishing.
    If they've got a skwala hatch, this would be the time to be there (or even earlier). I'm headed to the bitteroot in Montana in early April for their skwala hatch. Have been there several times and the boxes described above are absolutely the ticket. Nymph in the mornings til it warms up a bit, then pull out the skwalas and concentrate on cutbanks and woody stuff. Big trout are looking up, but lying in real tight to cover, fish them like hoppers with your drift tight tight tight to shore. I was amazed at what came out of a foot of water from under the bank. Don't worry if you're not seeing the bugs, their big and relatively few compared to other hatches, but the trout know what they are, and like em smacked down on the water like hoppers. Have a great time, hope the water and weather cooperates.