Thread: Winter flying gear

Default Winter flying gear

Hey folks, I'll be doing some air support for some buddies running the iron dog. I got an pretty good supply of gear in the plane for a "cold camping trip" but I can always learn something new. What does every one carry in their planes for winter gear?
    I got my standard survival gear food, water, gun, flares fire starter, multiple fuel stove with fuel, wing, prop, engine covers. I'm even toteing along my honda eu 2000 generator for keeping the engine and cabin warm with plenty of power cords. Small tent and some wiggies sleeping bags. I'll be in my 185 with wheel skis. Any other suggestions?

How about a massage therapist? Sorry...couldn't help myself. You sound well equipped. What about a cell phone? or a handheld transceiver? How about a short big diameter rope for roping one ski if you get stuck and need to turn really tight?

if you dont have this yet: http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/...Section110.htm

add a pair of snowshoes and a shovel and you should be good

Ice screws, a compact come-along (pack mule), rope (I carry 150' of 3/16" Blue Steel with my come-along kit. Packs small, low stretch, light weight. Trees are never close enough when you get stuck), my trusty MSR stove engine preheater (you may need to pre heat the genie), I assume snowshoes, shovel, and other standard survival gear would already be on board. Preparation should be similar to any winter XC flight. If you don't already carry a sat phone you'll want one to communicate with your team's race coordinator, get racer updates, etc.

My year-round survival pack is always in the plane. My winter supplemental gear is in a separate waterproof duffel. Hilleburg tent (easy to erect), two Wiggys -20 bags in sea-to-summit small compression bags, snowshoes, avalanche shovel, and the come-along kit. If I'm forced to camp the engine cover and wng covers will likely be used for ground cover and bivy covers so I figure the -20 bags are plenty. You may want to take a small can of starter fluid for your EU2000. Mine starts a lot easier with a shot of ether when it gets below -20 or so.

Have fun.

A small 1500 btu catalytic flameless heater to put under the cowling and cover to keep your engine warm during prolonged stops. A Coleman Blackcat with a small screw-on cylinder will safely maintain the engine temp for about 12 hours.

You can fit a Black Cat through the cowl door on a 185? I'm not sure I can fit a Survival Cat into mine. I ought to try it.

Doesn't anyone use a Thermex (flameless) heater any longer? Gives off no CO, can't start an engine fire, and keeps the boiler room warm all night . . . . . Just wonderin'.

yeah forgot to mention the snow shoes and grain shovel, getting a 185 stuck sucks!! All air planes are heavy stuck, but a 185 feels impossible to move. I have one of those black cats, but how the heck do you get that thing under the cowl easily? Grizzly, I will check into one of those thermex heaters! Forgot to add I do have the sat phone, and will be carrying my spot, and a buddy wants to throw his spider tracks onboard to see how it compares to the spot. Mr pid, good idea on the small can of starting fluid! The genie is a back up is I can't get power. I've called ahead, and it seems I can get power everywhere I PLAN on landing. I do have the ice screws, need to put some more rope in the back, just for those possible stucks! Thanks guys keep it coming. I really want to see/hear how to get that heater into the cowl!!

Good thread.
    Years ago I set my PA-12s carb on fire due to trying to start it without a complete pre-heat. It started but I flooded it and it kicked back..
    The next thing I knew I had lights under the cowling...
    I also had a pre-heater made from a 5 gallon bucket that I lowered a Coleman camp stove into....And of course I set the sleeve of my parka on fire out in the middle of nowhere..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com