Thread: Smitty are ya out there?

Default Smitty are ya out there?

Smitty ya know what Smokey done went and did? He preverted me into a 280 toter! Yup thats right been an absolute 270 nut my whole life but my 270 was getting real tired(been shooting it since the mid 70's) so it got retired a short while back. Then the tother night Smokey texted me saying that he had this nice tang safety 77 in .280 that he was looking to part ways with. Truth is that I have been reading up on those .284 boolits and you wasn't whooeying me none when you heaped all that praise on them.

It's all right old timer you can go ahead and poke fun of me for crossin over iffen ya want.....I don't care

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty ya know what Smokey done went and did? He preverted me into a 280 toter! Yup thats right been an absolute 270 nut my whole life but my 270 was getting real tired(been shooting it since the mid 70's) so it got retired a short while back. Then the tother night Smokey texted me saying that he had this nice tang safety 77 in .280 that he was looking to part ways with. Truth is that I have been reading up on those .284 boolits and you wasn't whooeying me none when you heaped all that praise on them.

HERE I IS.

It's all right old timer you can go ahead and poke fun of me for crossin over iffen ya want.....I don't care
    Good cartridge, good gun. (Like, I would know)

I like those older Ruger Tang safety, rifles.

What bullet weight are you gonna use?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Good cartridge, good gun. (Like, I would know)

I like those older Ruger Tang safety, rifles.

What bullet weight are you gonna use?

Smitty of the North
    I found a box of Hornady bullets on the shelf at the shop and I think the were 162 gr Interbonds. I have a set of dies on the way from Midway and a bag full of new 25-06 brass that I will neck up. I have been shooting Varget in about all of my rifles this last year but haven't even looked yet to see if will work well in the 280.

I found a box of Hornady bullets on the shelf at the shop and I think the were 162 gr Interbonds. I have a set of dies on the way from Midway and a bag full of new 25-06 brass that I will neck up. I have been shooting Varget in about all of my rifles this last year but haven't even looked yet to see if will work well in the 280.
    IIRC, 154 gr is beeg as you get in the InterBond for 7mm.

Inter_____ sumpthin Else??????

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

162 gr Interlock EKC, good grief!

Smitty I may have made a mistake putting an adult cartridge in EKC's hands - this could get ugly!

I have sure been impressed shooting the 139 gr Hornady Interbonds that are priced well and very accurate.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

They're 162 gr Hornady A-Max and they were free. Also it looks like there are lots of powders out there that are better than Varget for the .280.

What I am really finding interesting is that my Speer reloading manual shows the .280 and the 7mm-08 to be equal with even the heavier bullets. With the 150 class bullets the 280 has the edge by a mere 20 ft/s. With the 160 grainers they show the edge goes to the 7mm-08. This is with both test guns having 24 inch barrels. I'm sure other manuals will show it differently but still thought it worth mentioning. Since I have both the 7mm-08 and will soon have a .280, I'm gonna do some testing of my own.

Elmer, the difference is in the pressures. SAAMI pressure max for the 280 is 60,000 psi, while for the 7 mm-08 it's 62,000 psi.
    The larger case capacity of the 280 should give you about 100 fps more with any bullet than the 7-08, AT THE SAME PRESSURE.

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    Elmer, the difference is in the pressures. SAAMI pressure max for the 280 is 60,000 psi, while for the 7 mm-08 it's 62,000 psi.
    The larger case capacity of the 280 should give you about 100 fps more with any bullet than the 7-08, AT THE SAME PRESSURE.
    Thats kind what I found with the 35 Whelen vs 358 Winchester a few years back. My Nosler manual stated higher velocities for 358 than the Whelen, however when I loaded to their specs it was obvious that 358's were showing more pressure signs than the Whelen, The 358 primers showed where they had flowed(if thats the right word to use here) rearward and cratered around the firing pin. The Whelen cases on the other hand showed very little signs of pressure. When I loaded the 358's down to where the pressure signs were more to my liking there was 200 ftps difference of course the larger capacity case coming out on top. That was 30 years ago when the loading manuals weren't nearly as conservative as they are now. I am going to work up to that top load in the 7mm-08 watching for pressure signs. I also know that looking for pressure signs can sometimes be deceiving. I have had once fired brass that would barely hold a primer for the second loading because of a stretched primer pocket and there was very little visual evidence that those rounds were any where near pressure levels that would stretch the primer pocket rendering them junk after one loading. All of that took place back in the day when I thought I had to wring the most velocity of any given cartridge. I outgrew that thinking 25 years ago and my reloads these days are usually pretty mild. I guess thats what happens when one gets old! Huh

As I understand it, the 280 started out as a lower pressure, cartridge for the Rem. Pumps and Autos, to duplicate the ballistics of the 270.

BUT, I think that later they chambered them in 270, also. ????

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I think there is also some merit in having a long action gun in your hands that has some weight and perhaps better balance.
    so for some the 280 is just a better fitting frame than a 7-08 - both are outstanding choices and very capable rounds IMO.

Kinda like asking a date to the Prom - Hmmm do I go for the smaller gymnest or the leggy blonde track star?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey:

Trbl with SA rifles/cartridges is you gotta seat "heavy for caliber" bullets deep into the pwdr space, & that bugs
    me some reason.

That works, of course, but it's a compromise.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

ld. I guess thats what happens when one gets old! Huh
    Thats why they say the wise old man.

Well, drove to Ioway today and met up with old EKC for the first time - glad we met there as I doubt IL woulda let him in! Ya know we don't like guys that carry guns and bibles and are just really great people !
    Actually we had a great time cussing and discussing and 2 1'2 hours flew by way too quickly for me. EKC went home with a fine Ruger 77R and I had a beautiful TC Encore Pro Hunter 50 cal! Got that smokepole home and burped her at the farm a few times and I am sure with a little TLC she'll put some venison on the pole this fall!
    EKC you are a fine man and I am proud to welcome another friend into my life!
    Only thing that scared me Smitty wuz I had to show him 3 times how to load the Ruger - just not sure about that boy!