Thread: Best Air Charters for Brooks Range Sheep??

Question Best Air Charters for Brooks Range Sheep??

I'm starting to do my homework incase of the sad scenario comes up where no tags are drawn again this season. I was curious of Air Charters that people would reccomend for a sheep hunt in the Brooks. As well as a ballpark price people pay, I know that the price depends on the distance, weight and what type of plane to take you to a certain location, but any ballpark price would be helpful. I want to be ready to book a trip knowing the day after if I do not draw any tags. Advice on a good charter is key to me.
    I've been sheep hunting once before and have came up empty on a draw tag, and would like to get one last shot to go with the dad before I plan on leaving the state in the fall.

Thanks, Randy

It will largely depend on what time during the season you want to go if booking a Brooks hunt this year is even an option. I tried to book a flight for the opening week of the season back in November and came up empty with the most highly recommended transporters. Waiting until the draw results come out almost ensures that you'll be hunting late in the season if at all due to the fact that good transporters book full for the most desirable dates in October and November. Perhaps one hope is that folks who have booked end up breaking their bookings because they drew a permit elsewhere.

Call Wright Air out of Fairbanks. We used them last fall and I definitely recommend them. Give 'em a call quick and they may be able to fit you in somewhere. Good luck!

Contact Mike McCrary at operations@seventynorth.com concerning north slope drop offs.
    Check forum archives for additional/duplicate answers/information...

Or call Mike McCrary, owner Seventynorth, operates on wheels out of Happy Valley with a 600 or 700 pound max load (depending on the strip), at (907) 659-2544, www.seventynorth.com.

If you want to pay more then call Coyote Air, owned by Dirk Nickisch, flying a Beaver on wheels with a 1200 pound max load, out of Coldfoot. at winter # (907) 479-5995, summer # (907) 678-5995.

+1 for Big Mike he is the only guy I use when I head to the slope each fall.... Great guy and he runs a great business... Good Luck

Be careful who you use, there's at least one operator that will happy to drop you off at your sheep hunting spot and have no problem taking others there while you are still there. If you want to know who it is just shoot me a pm.

With that being said, I've used Wrights and Brooks Ranges Aviation and they are both top notch air charters. There was another operator flying out of Coldfoot but I cannot remember there name but they were very willing to take me whereever I wanted at a reasonable price.

I have only used Wrights but had a great flight and would use them again.

What is wrong with going later in the season? {besides - the full curls are all shot up and you might get snowed in}....we have booked with Mike for Aug 25 through Sept 4.........

Mostly lookin for Griz though.

Average cost, if you don't go too far, is going to be around $2K after you get to Happy Valley. Figure you are only going to fly 60 miles one way with that price...further is more $$. Most of the rates are hourly (both ways) up there and you basically pay by the pound. If you need a bigger plane, you pay more dollars and get to land in less spots.