Thread: How hard is it to change a track?

Default How hard is it to change a track?

I just got my first sled, a 95 skandik 500. It looks pretty good given the age and $400 I paid for it. The only thing I noticed when loading it in the truck, and getting it stuck, is that it really needs a paddle track.

Is this a couple hour job, couple day and colorful language job?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Not sure on that particular sled but the only really challenging part is dropping the jack shaft out on the few I have done. Corrosion can play a key roll on how much colorful language and time is needed to complete the work. A buddy and a good lift along with a 6 pack can make it a better experience!

Couple hours usually.
    BK

I can do it in a couple hours, but the first time it took me several hours. I would replace the speedo side bearing and the chaincase side bearing and seal if it were me. Also, you may be limited to how much paddle you can run on an older sled like that. If you want, I'd be glad to come over to take a look one of these days and give you some advice.

Doug,

I appreciate the offer. I found a 136" 1 1/2" track on craigslist, so don't have to pay for a new track. I was talking to a co-worker and he mentioned that the clutch side bearing on the chaincase should be looked at as if the previous owner hasn't been greasing it, it will fail on you.

Maybe I'll swing by one of these days if I'm up your way. But if you are passing through Eagle River, drop me a pm and we'll see if we can hook up.

Thanks!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Will do. I think you can get away with a 1 1/2" track on those without any issue, but I will check. It's going to be tight, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Will do. I think you can get away with a 1 1/2" track on those without any issue, but I will check. It's going to be tight, though.
    Also might run out of engine, hp.. pulling the extra lugs.They are set up from fac, just so. Might have to play with the clutches maybe even the gearing,So as don,t lug it down to much..

plan on changine the idler wheel bearings as well if they havent been before. if they wiggle side to side or dont spin freely with the track loose they need changed. Might as well change the hyfax while the skid is out

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Not sure on that particular sled but the only really challenging part is dropping the jack shaft out on the few I have done. Corrosion can play a key roll on how much colorful language and time is needed to complete the work. A buddy and a good lift along with a 6 pack can make it a better experience!
    hahaha, thats a good one

Paul I have a sled lift I can loan you if you would like. Sure makes it easy. If nothing crazy can be done in less then 2 hours.