Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Quarter Bore (+/-) for me?

Default What Quarter Bore (+/-) for me?

I am looking to get a nice new hunting package this year. I want a good stainless, iron sighted hunting rifle to haul around the woods.

I have always been a quarter bore fan, and am looking to stick with it. It will be my longer range moose, caribou and deer rifle.

Couple options I have looked at is the .257 roberts, .250 Savage, .257 Weatherby Mag, and the .264 remmington.

I have a couple .243's and love them to death. I have shot dozens of whitetails with it and know plenty of people who shoot moose with them as well. I want to go with something different now for a heavier bullet.

I have a couple 30-06's that have served me well too, and I just got rid of my Tikka T3 300 winmag. I need something with irons and that wont kick my ass.

What say you?

You forgot the 25-06, which would probably be my choice.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

6.5X55

That is quarter bore plus (26 caliber vs. 25).

Great round with a lot of potential and proven on moose etc especially with the 140 grain bullets.

What do you plan to hunt with it?

Whitetails?, 257 Bob or the 25-06. w/ 100 gr or heavier

Caribou?, 257 WTHY w/117 gr (nice and flat shooting)

Moose?, 257 WTHY w/120 gr projectiles

coyotes, wolves ect?, 257 Bob or the 25-06

250 Savage is getting to be too much reload only prop today- that wouldn't stop me, heck I shoot a 303 Savage.

And the list goes on... These are my favorites. Though I don't currently have a 25-06 in my personal safe.

Chris

I am also a big fan of the 243 for whitetail and the like. I will not take a Texas lung shot.....has to be broad side for me. With that in mind a 25-06 would be perfect!

I've got no qualms with either .25s or iron sights...but I think when you get to the hotter .25s you're really into scope territory. Back up irons are nice but an iron sighted .25 is really a pretty odd duck.

If you want to run an iron sighted rifle then the .257Bob or the .250 Savage are just fine...or perhaps at the outside- the 25'06.

When you're talking a .257Wby or .264WM- you're solidly in scoped rifle country- your rifle would easily have double the effective range of your sights. A scoped .257 would be a great caribou rifle....I picked up a Wby Vanguard in .257 a few weeks ago thinking that very thing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've got no qualms with either .25s or iron sights...but I think when you get to the hotter .25s you're really into scope territory. Back up irons are nice but an iron sighted .25 is really a pretty odd duck.

If you want to run an iron sighted rifle then the .257Bob or the .250 Savage are just fine...or perhaps at the outside- the 25'06.

When you're talking a .257Wby or .264WM- you're solidly in scoped rifle country- your rifle would easily have double the effective range of your sights. A scoped .257 would be a great caribou rifle....I picked up a Wby Vanguard in .257 a few weeks ago thinking that very thing.

I plan on putting a scope on it as well. I just want irons from factory. The only reason I got rid of my TIKKA T-3 is because is has no irons and I didnt want to tap it for them.

I did forget about the trusty 25-06.. how silly of me..

So I am inbetween the 25-06 and the .257 wthby...

I figure my .243's can do the job of the .257 bob.. so its a long action choice now.

I had a short 5 year stint with the 260 Remington which is a 308 necked down to 26 cal. If I wasn't stuck in my 35 and 36 caliber ways......this would be my "quarter bore".....for sure. I had 129 grain handloads, and 160 grain round nosed handloads. I was a darling of a rifle cartridge. You can get these 260 remington rifles with open sights. Unfortunately, I don't see this dandy little round available in a stainless rifle with open sights.

If we're talking open sights my all-time favorite 25 is the 250 Savage in a 99. I wouldn't call it a moose gun necessarily, but with a receiver sight the rifle package is about as much fun to shoot and hunt with as a guy can stand. Not a long range powerhouse, but it's not meant to be either. I "lost" my most recent one to my wife. She's taken it over and she's not giving it back. Last time out she went 25 straight on 16 oz plastic water bottles at 75 yards. OFFHAND!!! And she only stopped there because she was out of rounds.

Looks like I am going to have to build this rifle myself... Cant find a SS iron sighted rifle.... At least not in my chambering choices... Ruger and everybody else who makes an "Alaskan: only do so in big calibers...

Savage or Rem action.... hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    6.5X55

That is quarter bore plus (26 caliber vs. 25).

Great round with a lot of potential and proven on moose etc especially with the 140 grain bullets.
    +1. I think the 6.5x55 is a perfect choice given the OP's criteria.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Just out of curiousity....why not add a set of aftermarket sights to a factory rifle? Its a pretty straightforward process any gunsmith worth his vise should be able to handle easily. Admittedly stock design might make them less than ideal, but they're back up anyway.

Heck- pick up a new stainless Weatherby Vanguard in .257Wby, have the gun tinker of your choice apply your desired sights, scope it and go huntin'. Easily less than a grand...maybe a lot less if you shop careful.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Just out of curiousity....why not add a set of aftermarket sights to a factory rifle? Its a pretty straightforward process any gunsmith worth his vise should be able to handle easily. Admittedly stock design might make them less than ideal, but they're back up anyway.

Heck- pick up a new stainless Weatherby Vanguard in .257Wby, have the gun tinker of your choice apply your desired sights, scope it and go huntin'. Easily less than a grand...maybe a lot less if you shop careful.
    Its looking like Im going to have to do that.

I do like the new Vanguards.. And this time I need to pony up for good glass as well.

.25-06' would be my first choice followed by the 6.5x55. Ammo, components and rifles are aplenty. If cost of ammo or components are not part of the equation then I would give the Weatherby consideration.

Have fun making a choice !

Well I have plenty of time before moose season.

I will start looking for 25-06's, 257Wby and 7mm rem mag. My dad hunts with a 7mm, and since we hunt together that may be a choice for me as well. I'll just start picking up rifles and figureing what feels right.

Going to buy local and get irons installed most likely. Thanks for your input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by zacsquatch View Post
    I am looking to get a nice new hunting package this year. I want a good stainless, iron sighted hunting rifle to haul around the woods...I need something with irons and that wont kick my ass.

What say you?
    Will the iron sights be the primary sighting equipment or do you intend to mount a scope and have the iron sights "just in case?"

If you want a .257 caliber cartridge, I think the 25/06 or is your most sensible choice. The 257 Roberts normally comes on a LA (Kimber makes it on their SA) and every possible advantage when comparing the two rounds lies in favor of the 25/06 on a LA. The .257 Weatherby is quite a cartridge, but its recoil, cost (ammo in particular) and normally heavier rifles must be weighed against its increase in external ballistics in comparison to the 25/06. At ranges under 400 yards the 25/06 i darn near perfect in the 25 caliber lineup.

There's nothing wrong in selecting a .264 or a .243 and both calibers open significant options, but if you're sold on a .257 diameter muzzle, then I'd buy a 25/06 and start killing stuff.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I would say go for a 25.06 in a good huntin' rifle platform and to heck with the irons - Spend wisely on a good quality scope (my choice would be a Leupold VX3 in 2.5 x 8 or 3.5 x 10 x 40mm hands down) and hunt with a smile on your face ! I helped a buddy some time back to "create" a 257 wthby on a Rem 700 (and I L O V E .257 wthby) but after the smithin' and the PIA factor AND the resulting rifle's velocities, MY money goes to getting a 25.06 and as a matter of fact, that's just what I'm gonna do come Spring - I will do either a Kimber Montana or a Tikka T3 BUT it will be my deer / goat rifle as I don't hunt elk with less than a fast 7mm and I personally would never head North to BC or AK with less than a 325 WSM and a "338" better yet, but that's just "me" ....

OH, I forgot to ramble on about the 25.06 - I've carried and shot one alot and with 75 Vmax's it is a blast to shoot long range vermin with (I have tried prairie dogs and it rattles "my" cage too much for high volume) but it will surely reach "way out there" and WHOP when it arrives - Just remember that in the past 8 - 12 +/- years bullets have changed so much that the old school trains of thought are "no more" ... (sorry, had to say it) too many premium bullet choices to discount virtually any caliber considerations

Try this....Savage short action with a good trigger, good quality barrel in .260 Rem cut to 20", good light weight stock and the glass and sights of your choice. I built one for a fellow and it is fun to shoot and will kill mountain dew cans at 300 yds, weighs ~8 lbs in hunting dress and will make you smile. I built one for myself in 260 AI and it is not worth the AI chambering IMHO. Also consider Model 7, 600 or 660 Rem with a new trigger in 260 or 6.5 Rem Mag...very handy guns.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

How bout a 25-08 ? (25 Souper)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast