Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thieves at Petersville

Default Thieves at Petersville

Was down at Petersville Sunday,And there was a bunch of trucks with broken windows and trailers broken into apparently sometime Saturday
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Were they parked in the parking lot or in one of the highway pullouts? Unfortunately not the first time.

kevin

Down at Kroto parking lot
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

That's ballsy- Kroto usually has at least some people in it. Might be there's some witnesses.

Hate thieves.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

We need a remote parking lot vehicle protection law. It would make tampering with vehicles in remote areas a felony and provide a castle doctrine type defense for anyone who shoots someone caught tampering.

if any thing was taken, a person could probably find it a the crack-head flea market of stolen goods at pittman rd.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We need a remote parking lot vehicle protection law. It would make tampering with vehicles in remote areas a felony and provide a castle doctrine type defense for anyone who shoots someone caught tampering.
    Once again, we don't need more laws, as damage over $500 is already a felony, the problem is that it's rarely prosecuted and even more rarely punished per the presumptive guidelines.
    Also, the laws on deadly force (AS 11.81.350(e)) were intentionally written to deny a castle doctrine defense for vehicle damage, except when a threat to a person might also be involved.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

I'm confused... Seraphina says we don't need more laws, and she does not want us to use deadly force to protect our vehicles, even though we may die of exposure if our truck is unable to be started. But then she cites a law denying us defense of our life and property.

I do agree, we need less laws and more guns. Problem solved.

Too bad about the vehicles in Petersville. Hope they catch the perps and hang em.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I'm confused... Seraphina says we don't need more laws, and she does not want us to use deadly force to protect our vehicles, even though we may die of exposure if our truck is unable to be started. But then she cites a law denying us defense of our life and property.
    Nothing to be confused about there Claude, since that's NOT what I said. Passing more laws won't change the fact that we don't effectively enforce the laws we already have. What happened at Petersville is already a felony.

Also, there's no reason for your rudeness. Citing our current law says nothing about what I personally do or don't want. It's simply a fact that our current laws allow deadly force in defense of life, but not in defense of property.

But most of all, I'm shocked to hear that a big, tough outdoorsman like yourself would die of exposure just because your truck doesn't start, while a little old lady like me would promptly provide myself with fire and shelter!
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

I think there have been cases where deadly force was used in situations where the theft of a vehicle would have resulted in the probable death of the vehicle owner. I think you could fairly easily make that case if you were in a particularly remote location where the odds of traffic coming along before you succumbed to hypothermia is unlikely, or if you have life saving meds in the vehicle etc. Regardless it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6- if I felt certain that my life was in danger I would use deadly force.

That said- Kroto parking lot? No. It's not nearly remote enough. There are frequently scores of vehicles parked there and it's a short walk to occupied cabins and homes. I don't feel my life would be in danger there by someone disabling my vehicle.

I would love to see cops start looking for these thieves and judges actually do more than slap them on the wrist. Some good harsh sentencing might actually be a deterrent but the current revolving door Justice system doesn't do anything to slow property crimes down.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Wow, if what I said was rude, someone is very sensitive. Now, your reply could be construed as rude, but I'm okay with that. Not worried about myself, but I do have family and friends that may not have the knowledge and tools I have, and it could become a life threatening situation.

I agree with Dee. If they do catch any of these guys, they need to really throw the book at them. Currently it's nothing more than a slap and fine and away they go, and that's only if the time is taken to catch them. It has to be a tough crime for troopers to even be able to find the criminals.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

i got a good long rope ) im sure we can find a tree and settle it like in the old days ...........

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKANRMK View Post
    i got a good long rope ) im sure we can find a tree and settle it like in the old days ...........
    Perhaps tieing them up and dragging them behind a snowmachine would be more apropo.

Unfortunately there is an element in society that is slow to learn and not easily deterred, and hence a harsh and firm response is required.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Perhaps tieing them up and dragging them behind a snowmachine would be more apropo.

Unfortunately there is an element in society that is slow to learn and not easily deterred, and hence a harsh and firm response is required.
    I say the Bears and Wolves need to eat too.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I would love to see cops start looking for these thieves and judges actually do more than slap them on the wrist. Some good harsh sentencing might actually be a deterrent but the current revolving door Justice system doesn't do anything to slow property crimes down.
    DINGDINGDINGDING...we have a winner!!

It is a combination of limp-wristed sentencing and GOOD TIME. You get 1/3 knocked off for good time. So if you are actually sentenced for three years, you only do two. And you can do even less with parole and out-sourcing to furlough facilities.

Only way to change this is to change the system: if you are arrested, you go to trial. Period. Right now of course a charge can be dropped or reduced or in MANY cases the DA will simply not prosecute and the "judge" orders the criminal to be released. Only way to get around activist judges and this crap by the lawyers will be to go to trial.

By the way, if a criminal were reading this thread they'd be laughing their butts off, you have to remember it's all your fault for tempting them by leaving your truck there and no-one to guard it. No kidding at all, it is how they think. And it is going to get worse, much, much worse as the economy worsens and the prison population begins to catch up with the level of criminality of prison pops outside.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

it's only a matter of time before someone knocks a hole in one of those idiots and some of this stuff will stop
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

This has been a "tradition" in the various parking lots in Petersville and the mp 126-129 Parks Highway lots for a long time. The last crime spree was steeling tail gates and doors (?) off trucks since they were easy to pawn to junkyards. I pisses me off like anyone else, but I have no clue what to do about it. We currently have 4 troopers and 1 F&W trooper assigned to cover the entire area from the north end of Houston all the way to Byers Lake... That's a Hell of a lot of turf to cover for 5 guys, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

crack-head flea market of stolen goods at pittman rd
    Where you can't beat the prices, but you can beat your wife, kid and mother! Lol

Sorry bad humor.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Angry Thieves

I would designate someone to stay & watch your "stuff" and repay him with money or favors.(no fighting, take turns) . Also, trail cameras are worth their weight in gold! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    This has been a "tradition" in the various parking lots in Petersville and the mp 126-129 Parks Highway lots for a long time. The last crime spree was steeling tail gates and doors (?) off trucks since they were easy to pawn to junkyards. I pisses me off like anyone else, but I have no clue what to do about it. We currently have 4 troopers and 1 F&W trooper assigned to cover the entire area from the north end of Houston all the way to Byers Lake... That's a Hell of a lot of turf to cover for 5 guys, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Actually, the last spree was someone drilling holes in vehicle gas tanks to steal the gas. That was going on late last summer up and down the Parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast