Thread: Aurora Borealis over Alpine Creek Lodge

Default Aurora Borealis over Alpine Creek Lodge

I'm still trying to work on my photography of the Aurora. It's tricky! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Attached is a pic from a few days ago.

Claude
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Hey Claude,

Beautiful shot!! I think you could be giving lessons not taking them. Hope all is well with you guys.

Dave in Barrow

My first post! I'd love to make it up your way sometime. Maybe next year when I get a machine... I saw the lights for the first time since I've been here (2 years, really) three days ago. Pretty diluted, Palmer you know. I kick myself in the butt for not driving up Lazy Mt. and getting a better view. Awesome pictures.

Thanks Dave! Hope your winter is going great over there. I'm just East of ya now 2 weeks of the month. Things are great at the lodge. We've had a really nice winter so far with lots of snow. Jen and Bob are doing well. I sure like taking pic's of the aurora. Everyone is different, and I have it so it just takes a 30 second exposure every minute, until the battery is dead. Still wish I could improve the clarity.

Moose! Welcome to the posting world of the forums! You'll have to make it out here and see the aurora with no other light around. Pretty amazing!

Claude

awesome picture Claude!! Better than I am doing! you got it on 30 sec exposure? I assume sitting on a tripod? I have tried a bunch of different things, but that pic you got is awesome, let us know if you get the clarity thing figured out!! Sorry didn't make it back up there this past year. I assume you got your wood cut without me. I bought a new saw, I might have to give it a workout up your way next year!

Talk to ya soon!
    Tim Bloom

Just rememberguys to cool down your camera if it is digital so it does not condensate the lense when you walk out below zero. A tripod and a remote cable shutter spring is good also. Or put your camera on a tripod and set it for 10 second delay so your hand does not shake the camera when you press the shutter. Bracket your time and keep notes on what you take, per shot. Trial and error will tell you what to do. Just my learning curve, not to be meant to be gospal
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Tim! great to hear from you! yep, the pic was a 30 second exposure. I think F 3.2 and 1600 ISO... I could have this all messed up, but it was something like that. I did have it on a tripod, and I also for the first time tried a remote shutter cable like thewhop mentioned. I can only say, if your going to get a camera for these types of shots, a remote shutter cable is a must! What I liked is that I could use the remote cable, put it on lock, and it just keeps taking 30 second exposures until the battery is dead. We got some decent ones of riding a snow machine as soon as the picture starts, and riding up the hill. Makes a really cool streak! Good point on keeping notes. Each picture tells you what you did, but there's more to it than that, for sure!

I'm wondering if maybe I had condensation on the lense, and that's why it's blurry on the shot. I have found for me it's nearly impossible to get your focus right on the camera. I try to find the brightest star or something and focus, but wow is it difficult.

Thanks for the replies!
    Claude