Thread: Trouble with Remington 1100 not cycling

Default Trouble with Remington 1100 not cycling

My grandson has a youth model 1100 20 guage. He took it apart to clean. The rubber o-ring got damaged so he got a couple on e-bay.
    Now the gun will not cycle and load another shell. He's shot about 6 boxes of target loads with no problem, before. I had him shoot a slug today and it worked fine. I checked to be sure the piston, collar and o-ring were in proper sequence. The only other thing I can think of is the action spring in the butt stock may be the problem.
    BUT, cannot remove whatever is holding that spring. there's like a big screw but it wont budge. Anyone know how to remove this. PM's are OK. Thanks.

The big screw is actually a nut. It is not uncommon for these to be rusted in place. Clamp the receiver in a vise and use the biggest flat blade screwdriver you can lay your hands on. After you get the nut off then you can slide the buttstock off the tube. Then push the spring plug slightly forward and push out the retaining pin. At that point the spring will be loose and can be removed out of the tube. The follower at the front of the spring may not want to clear the tube and may need to be pushed out of the tube with a rod. It is possible that the barrel seal,(o-ring) is incorrect.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Good show "gunbugs" will try your advice. You qualify for a rep.

I ended up calling Remington. They sent me a new o-ring. well, yesterday we went out and same problem, fires a shell but wont cycle a new one. I then had the grandson fire 2 slugs. Good action there. say, try your target loads again I said. He ran 4 without a hitch. Hope the problem is solved. Thanks guys.

Have you checked the gas ports. The little holes in the barrel where the mag ring is, be sure there is no carbon buildup in them, I also put a little grease on the oring to seal it a little better. I have an old 1100 3" that will not shoot trap loads, only single shot, but the 3" only has one gas port. My 20 gage works like a swiss clock, I have shot thousands of rounds, just have to keep it clean.

In the future to save some money just bring an O-ring you already have into a plumbing store and ask for some more. They're pretty cheap without the gun store markup.