Thread: First time fishing Kenai penisula

Default First time fishing Kenai penisula

Hello from Texas

Myself and two friends have booked a 7 day trip to Homer We are arriving June 27th Guided trips do not start until June 30th Any suggestions for us to go fishing by ourselves on a river or maybe a flyout trip from Anchorage? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Flyouts are great but pretty expensive. Alaska West Air in Kenai is probably the best on the Peninsula. I've used Rusts in Anchorage at Lake Hood and had good results as well. Late June is a good time for the Kenai or Kasilof for Kings....KRPGA.org has a lot of guides' websites listed. Soldotna Chamber of Commerce is also a good source. Personally I'd do a day on the Kenai and a day on the Kasilof....very different experiences. Several guide services fish both and would make it easy for you to book. I've never used a guide on the Kenai so really can't make any reccomendations but I'm sure many others on this forum can give you good suggestions.

Default Things to do

If you make it to Soldotna, also check out Talon Air Service for a flyout across the inlet for sockeye. The local area lakes will be doing very good for trout/char and land locked salmon... easy DYI trip while awaiting your guided trip schedule.

Good luck

Default Fishing Options from Anchorage

You could rent a car and head to the Russian river for Sockeye. Keep in mind this is a combat fishery. Try your luck fishing for trophy Kings on the Kenai, or fish the Kasilof river. You could also drive north of Anchorage to the Deskha and Little Su Rivers for Kings, or fly out to Lake Creek. Seward is also a good destination for ocean fishing.

I'll second the recommendation on Talon Air. I don't normally charter so can't make any comparisons. I received a trip with Talon as a gift (charter to the far side of the Cook Inlet). It was outstanding. Great guides, equipment was in great shape, everyone limited (that of course is never a guarantee). When we were finished fishing we did a bit of bear veiwing on the lake. Outstanding memories all in all.

I'd say unless you like watching 50 other boats disrespecting bears don't go to wolverine creek/ big river lakes which is where talon air takes you.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

what kind of fishermen are you? if you like to hike/flyfish there are countless opportunities to get away from the crowds and have an awesome experience. that's our best time for weather, so it would be a great time for a hike/fish. if you don't like crowds - don't goto wolverine creek (the most popular flyout trip) or the lower russian river for sockeye. if you want more specific info pm me and i'll help you out, but i need to know what type of fishermen you are... fly? beginner? gear? etc...
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Bob Estes at Moby King Charters (www.mobyking.com) has been used by my brother, my dad, and my brothers father-in-law. All had great things to say about him.

Hope this helps.
    -Keith