Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best scope warranty...

Default Best scope warranty...

I had a rifle built and I want to put some quality glass on it. Money isn't really an issue, but I do want to make sure it has a great warranty. It's a hunting rig, so it may see some abuse. I'm mainly concerned with the warranty, quality glass, but also wanting to know if anyone has any experience using said warranty?

I know, I know, a warranty is no good when you're on the side of a mountain and not leaving for a week, but I still want a good one so I can get issues sorted out when I get back.

Leupold and vortex have great warranties. Most all of the high end euro glass has good ones as well.

Swarovski second to none GREAT customer service,had an issue with my binos a week before hunting season called up swarovski, overnighted binos they fixed them in a day and overnighted back. They also repaired my rifle scope with the same great service

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Swarovski second to none GREAT customer service,had an issue with my binos a week before hunting season called up swarovski, overnighted binos they fixed them in a day and overnighted back. They also repaired my rifle scope with the same great service

I looked at the swaros but it looked like they don't cover any accidental damage. I'd love to use one of their scopes, but I'd hate to think I put that kind of money into a scope and it isn't covered if something happens while I'm out hunting, roll a quad/sled, etc...

my buddy rolled his quad and it messed his scope up, he sent it into leupold and the fixed it and sent it back to him. they didnt fix the cosmetic scratches but it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I looked at the swaros but it looked like they don't cover any accidental damage. I'd love to use one of their scopes, but I'd hate to think I put that kind of money into a scope and it isn't covered if something happens while I'm out hunting, roll a quad/sled, etc...
    never really read thier warranty I just know they have always taken care of my issues whether I caused them or not.I do agree though it is a lot of money to spend to have something happen an not have it covered.

Ducks,

You looking for insurance or a warrenty on your new scope?

I have sent scopes, binos, spot scopes, ect to almost all of the major manufactors...
    And they have all been good service on thier warrenty.

As too "No Questions repair" Leopould and Swaraski have been head and shoulds above "imported cheap glass".

My 02 cents

Chris

What do you want? Great warranty or bombproof product?
    leupold or Swarovski are very unlikely to need warranty service, but if you do need it they are second to none.
    if you just flat out enjoy sending stuff back and forth for warranty work I would recommend cabelas.
    Alaska Board of Game 2013-2014 tour... "No animal left behind"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/ http://www.obviouslaw.org/

Ideally both. I want the Swarovski but that sentence in their warranty kinda scared me a bit. Has anyone dropped/broken/messed up one and had Swarovski repair it under warranty? Leupold's seems to be pretty outstanding, but I'd rather have the Swarovski on my gun. I'm pretty much down to those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Ideally both. I want the Swarovski but that sentence in their warranty kinda scared me a bit. Has anyone dropped/broken/messed up one and had Swarovski repair it under warranty? Leupold's seems to be pretty outstanding, but I'd rather have the Swarovski on my gun. I'm pretty much down to those 2.
    From the sounds of the responses ... it's probably more of a judgement factor.... probably something like,
    1) "I took your product hunting" fell down this cliff and can you help me?"
    versus
    2) "I threw the product under a tank or dragged them for a 1 mile behind my ATV, you all shouldv'e told me it couldn't handle that type of abuse."

When I buy things, I take the approach that I'll be fair ... and if it needs warranty work... plan for them to be fair with me. If I perceive them to not be fair ... I certainly don't buy from them again whether it be a $200 product or a $2000 product.

With that said, I have a Swarovski Spotter and Bino's and have never had to send them in for repair or warranty. But in your case, two leupold's probably cost less than one Swarovski's. Kind of self-insurance.
    Hooker ads seem to be okay on Craiglist but not legal stuff like guns. (ADfields)

Personally i think Vortex has the best no fault lifetime warrenty in writing as well a fantastic product.

my .02

Fin

As far as Swaro having the best, I don't agree. I have a pair of 10x25 B pocket binos with an eyepiece that has chipped glass. I took a spill and I had them on a chest harness. I guess a rock hit it just right when I fell on my face and they won't fix it. I can pay to have them fix it but since it wasn't a default in manufacturing they won't take care of it. I would take Leupold or Vortex warranty over the Swaro one.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Ducks,

We had a customer who when he got to where he flew into his rifle was dropped out of bush plane and objective lens broke. He chopped the scope off with an ax so he could hunt with iron sights. Got back to Fairbanks and we sent it back to Leupold.. They sent a brand new scope and a letter of apology for breaking. Let me say that again.. HE CHOPPED IT OFF WITH AN AX, AND THEY REPLACED IT FOR FREE! Only damaged swary scopes I sent back have been seal leak, or bent due to 4 whlr error.(rifle took most of the brunt)..and still repaired. Swary charged shipping due to not their fault, but no cost repair.
    Remember, I work in a shop so have seen more than most other individuals.

Heck, why not get the scope you want---- then list it on your Home owners Insurance?

But otherwise, I wouldn't lose sleep over being able to get a premium scope repaired if I damage it.
    Send back if it gets damaged, let the company make a decision on charging or not.

Personnally, just on my own scopes, I have sent more Leupolds back than other brands. I also own more than one scope and rifle combo. (Hey, I own a toy store!) And have always got satisifaction in return.

Get the scope that fits your rifle, ammunition, hunt style, pocket book, and you will be happy.

Chris

I agree with some others I think it is be based on a judgement factor as well,I can only speak on my experience with swarovski, years ago I fell off a cliff and busted the tube on my binos, clearly my fault. I sent them in and they replaced the tube and since the lenses were abused from years of guiding they also replaced all the glass, they only charged me a 100$ so I will take that any day for a 1500$ pair of binos. I also seem to have to call them every year for losing the protective rubber caps on my binos and or spotter and I have yet to be charged. I also know from hunters that leupold is outstanding as well.
    Dave

I have had great experiance with the scope I use Zeiss made in germany . Not the conquest model

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Get the scope that fits your rifle, ammunition, hunt style, pocket book, and you will be happy.

Chris
    Excellent advice.

To be a bit redundant ... when one hunts with good glass, I would think you would appreciate it. Yes, I'm biased towards the Swarovski products if money is not the concern. IMO, the not considering good glass because of a warranty concerns seems counter intuitive - basically reaches the conclusion that hunting with partial vision all the time is acceptable when contrasted by the small risk that partial vision could be restored if a warranty issue would occur.

But I'm not going to say buy Swarovski or it isn't good glass as you will make the decision as to what's acceptable for your use. If money was truly not an object, I would strongly suggest that you consider Nightforce and Schmitt & Bender also.

Cliff notes: If you consider the quality of glass in the scopes equal ... then buy it cheaper and/or the one with the better warranty.
    Hooker ads seem to be okay on Craiglist but not legal stuff like guns. (ADfields)

I don't consider the glass equal, and not planning on a VX-1 either. I'm not planning on giving it the tank treatment, just want to make sure it's taken care of. Kinda like the binos story mentioned earlier, I don't want to get shafted if it's a genuine accident. I'm really leaning towards the Swaro, just don't want to have to pay even more if something happens that isn't under warranty.

I guess I'll just do a little more research, maybe make a few phone calls, and from there.

Tangentially, does anyone have any experience with Leupold's CDS vs. Swarovski's Ballistic Turret?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
    Personally i think Vortex has the best no fault lifetime warrenty in writing as well a fantastic product.

my .02

Fin
    x'2!! I have 3 vortex havent had to use the warranty however my buddy had a viper and we were predator calling he had it slung on his back on the snowmachine his sling came undone rifle fell off his back I ran it over and shot it out the back of my snowmachine. It was an AR so there was little to no damage to the gun but his elevation turret got pushed in he sent it in they sent him a new one 2 days later no questions asked.

Vortex has the best warranty, you can beat your scope with a hammer and they will replace it.

I would agree with the writing in the Vortex warranty. I own a pair of Vortex binos and used next to some Leica's on Kodiak this past fall. Me and my partner agreed the Vortex was better clarity than the Leica's. I hope I never have to use the warranty, but take comfort in the writing I will be taking care of without any additional cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast