Thread: 2013 Hunting plans...Questions

Default 2013 Hunting plans...Questions

So My hunting partner and I are having some problems trying to figure out what we would like to do, hunting wise, in 2013. So what better place to ask than here. I would like to do the following hunts, but could only choose 2. So here they are, goat hunt in Kodiak, black tail hunting either PWS or Kodiak, fly-out caribou/sheep hunt in the brooks, caribou hunting on Adak, and finally a black bear hunt out of either Seward or Valdez. So I want to know if you could choose 2 hunts, what you choose. Thanks and this should make for a fun thread.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

If it was me...assuming you live in Alaska as annotated.. I will leave the humor out..lol

I would go with the Kodiak goat/deer hunt..awesome place and my next hunt next year as well.

The black bear would be on POW instead of out of seward or valdez..but either way. I think those would be my first picks. Third..yes had to go there...would be the Adak island caribou/reindeer hunt.. I think that would be a great experience as well.

Good luck on any excursion you pick..regardelss of where you go or the quarry..you will see some awesome countryside and have a great time.

DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Kodiak goat/deer hunt combo, then caribou/sheep in the Brooks. I have done Kodiak one and everyday I relive the memories. Now, time to try the caribou/sheep in the Brooks.

I would do kodiak goat/deer. Hunt bear on the weekend's, cause they're an easier get. And caribou/sheep.

If I could afford the fly-out option, it would put Brooks Range for Sheep on top, can't imagine more exotic country, as long as I was fairly sure I could get far enough away from other hunting pressure,
    (not sure how that works up there, but would not plan a fly out, only to get dropped in an area with others around)

Then, Kodiak Island, for Mt. Goat, runs a close second
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Well JC, the funds available are gonna be key. That fly out in the brooks will cost more than all the others put together!!! Also you are considering hunting three of the rainiest areas of the state or the driest so that might be something to think about.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Well I'm leaning to a duo hunt out of Thorne bay. Black bears and deer. I'm think last week of September. Then probably reindeer on Adak. Then 2014 goat, and sheep. Time to save money and get into shape.

Of all those, I'd put Adak on the very bottom of the list, and without a close second.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Well I'm leaning to a duo hunt out of Thorne bay. Black bears and deer. I'm think last week of September. Then probably reindeer on Adak. Then 2014 goat, and sheep. Time to save money and get into shape.
    Those are Nelchina caribou on Adak, no reindeer out there. And I agree with Tlingit... bottom of the list right now, unless you're going to Adak for the whole experience...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

My pics would be the brooks first then the Kodiak trip.Like others have said bears are an easier get on the weekends.

ya adak isn't even on the list for me...
    kodiak goat/deer is a must do for every alaska hunter....
    sheep/caribou brooks is also an alaskan must do....
    course your archery so you could just do a nov goat hunt on the road system and pull the whole deal off for less than 500 bucks...boom movin' on whats next.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would do the Kodiak goat (possible deer) and Valdez bear. Valdez you could fish, hunt bear, have a riot. Kodiak goat, call Rolan and make it happen! My last goat on Kodiak, we killed 2 billies the first day though we saw no deer. Sign everywhere though.

As for a Thorne Bay deer/dear hunt at the end of September, I would pass on that IMHO don't waste your $. Bear by boat only, fishing good in the rivers which is a good time in itsself but deer is kind of tough then. Actually I think it is really tough for deer then. I don't take bear/deer hunters then but I don't like making excuses each night ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I would put Adak low on the list of places to visit; perhaps when someone else (work or friend) foots the bill for the trip.

From the list, I'd say Kodiak. But then illusions of brown bears, fishing, crab, dear, and goats capture my interests. The brooks range would also be a cool adventure.

So here is my "plan", and as we all know, plans change. First I'm gonna do a spring/early summer black bear hunt out of Seward/whitter. Then in October, go to Thorne bay and try to get some deer. If I can plan on getting to Kodiak for as much as it would cost to get to POW (via ferry) then it'll be Kodiak instead. I know its not finalized, but it'll depend on my hunting partner.

For me Kodiak for goats/deer and a spring black bear hunt is the only way to go.