Thread: Lordy I about sharded my-self the end of Dry Fly Capes

Default Lordy I about sharded my-self the end of Dry Fly Capes

Holy Wa! I went to Sportsmans this weekend and about passed out when I went to purchase a Number 3 Metz Cape! Oh that's correct there were no flippen dry fly capes that were not Metz and only two types Brown and Griz and there were number 1 and 2 Capes but no 3's Oh and they started at 78.00 bucks! WTH. Even the number 1 saddles that was there was 80 bucks again WTH.

I thought back on the forum post of the fashion police using capes for hair styles and we all had a good laugh. So I go to the internet and check out some of my old sources and BANG! Wham! Slap! sorry no saddles available becuase of Fashion. I thought you have to be baggen my old ars but (NO) we actaully have a hackle shortage and most are going for big bucks.

UGH! time to go back and sign up for my wholesale gig which I was trying dearly to avoid bulk orders in order to afford a decent cape.

Has anyone else notice the same thing? Might be interested in assisting with a bulk purchase if enough interest. 30-40% off is looking better and better however without having classes it is hard to justify a $1000.00 order.

Thoughts?

And Hollywood ruins yet another outdoorsman's hobby.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

True dat! Well put J. That's it I am going to the Big Island and getting me some of those Jungle Foul No close season.

Whiting is not slated to deliver again until June, and all the shops I know have waiting lists going. And there is zero certainty that Whiting can fill all orders.

wow, time to start raising some birds.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Holy Wa! I went to Sportsmans this weekend and about passed out when I went to purchase a Number 3 Metz Cape! Oh that's correct there were no flippen dry fly capes that were not Metz and only two types Brown and Griz and there were number 1 and 2 Capes but no 3's Oh and they started at 78.00 bucks! WTH. Even the number 1 saddles that was there was 80 bucks again WTH.

I thought back on the forum post of the fashion police using capes for hair styles and we all had a good laugh. So I go to the internet and check out some of my old sources and BANG! Wham! Slap! sorry no saddles available becuase of Fashion. I thought you have to be baggen my old ars but (NO) we actaully have a hackle shortage and most are going for big bucks.

UGH! time to go back and sign up for my wholesale gig which I was trying dearly to avoid bulk orders in order to afford a decent cape.

Has anyone else notice the same thing? Might be interested in assisting with a bulk purchase if enough interest. 30-40% off is looking better and better however without having classes it is hard to justify a $1000.00 order.

Thoughts?
    Don't count on saving as much as you might think with wholesale either. I still get mine through wholesale and their selection is down and the prices have been skyrocketing too! Amazing difference from even just 5 years ago...

Try looking at Mountain View. They have a number of dry fly necks for $28 and they come in three different colors.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Sounds like the fad peaked and hair demand has gone away. Gonna take some time to raise some more roosters. At the height of it there were some grizzly saddles going for close to $500 on ebay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steven_Tyler_1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	56726 You can thank this guy!

And the latest is they are now weaving them into horse manes... Yes sireee.... Your horse beautician can fix you right up!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Don't know if it was because of their 20% off sale last week or what. Just stopped in back in and they had #3 necks for $46.00 and number 1 necks were $78.00 bucks. Far different from this past weekend. Still no selection of Saddles but at least all the pricing was not starting at almost 80 bucks.

I don't know if you're still looking, but these aren't awful prices anyways:
    http://www.caddisflyshop.com/hebert-capes.html
    No sales tax and free shipping helps keep the cost down too.
    I've never ordered capes or saddles from them, but have bought tons of other stuff and they ship promptly and are very easy to deal with.

Thanks for the idea and the link enjoy the rep point

Thanks for the link--good prices--I think they just replaced hook and hackle as my fly material source!