Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike fishing tips.

Default Pike fishing tips.

I know this has been gone over before, but today I went in to sprotsmans and one of the guys that worked there helped me get started pike fishing, showed me tip ups, leaders, hooks, we ant over bait choices, depth and various other things. anyway, because I had a self imposed limit of 25.00, this is what a came out with for the gear I'm using
    I bought a tip up(I plan on making more, but I wanted one that I can rely on just to make sure, plus I needed a prototype), soft plastic jigs (they look like fish), and herring, I plan on using some of those single hooks that come with vibrax's to save money on hooks and I found a spool of 'ice line" last winter, I think its around 30 or 40 LB line. I figured I'd drill a hole and set the tip up out with herring (in big lake where I will probably do most of my fishing for the time being, as its close, you have to use a whole piece of bait fish, so I got the smallest herring I could, they are about 4 inches long, as I don't care if I catch a big one or a little one, just one something) and fish with another line, rigged with a soft plastic, and jig it. we'll see what happens.

I was thinking about setting the herring about 1 foot off the bottom and jigging at various depths just to see what happens. Any tips would be great as I know nothing of pike fishing and have ben real good about not spending money this winter and treated my self to some new fishing tackle.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Sounds like you're on the right track. By this point of winter, the pike are going to be in deep water and near the bottom. They'll be doing more scavenging than hunting. So a dead herring free floating is a good choice.

I rig my herring with a 2-hook rig and backwards; that puts the lower hook in the head and the upper hook in the tail. Pike take their prey head first, so if you rig herring like you would for trolling, the line coming off the top hook can actually get in the way of getting a good hook up.

I know the plastic fishy jigs you're talking about and I've never had good luck with them on any species. For pike, something flashy with reds and whites on it always seems like a good choice. I was recently introduced to the world of using wet flies under the ice. I'm not sure if I will ever go back to traditional steel lures for ice fishing. I imagine the same bright pike streamers used in the summer time would be killer under the ice as well. I'm ramping up for the Trustworthy Hardware ice fishing derby and will have to make another pike trip to try and get a nail on that species box, so I'll be giving the pike flies under the ice a try real soon.

Good luck to ya!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the info on rigging it. I'da never though of it that way.
    I got the soft plastic cause I figured that a pike would think a soft thing in its mouth would be more natural, and he wouldn't reject it, but i know nothing of such things. I'll take some flashy spoons with me too
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I am from the Interior and I don't fish Big Lake but I was under the impression that bait is illegal in that body of water?

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I am from the Interior and I don't fish Big Lake but I was under the impression that bait is illegal in that body of water?
    Thats what I'm reading too, also one single hook per line. AK regs will forever boggle me.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

The rig Joat mentioned does work great I might add.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Thats what I'm reading too, also one single hook per line. AK regs will forever boggle me.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

The rig Joat mentioned does work great I might add.
    Read the paragraph at the top left of page 35....!! FF&G is legal for pike...

I stand corrected! Thanks much Old John!

Rep to ya!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thumbs up

i've not fished pike thru the ice at big lake, but if you've been there in the summer and noticed weedbeds, try and fish either over the weeds if there is at least 2 feet of water beneath the ice, or just in front of the weeds. i'd set my herring just below the ice in that scenario. also, you could consider using a single norweigen hook. i grew up using those, but have since gone with a simple, single treble to increase hookup frequency. to increase the amount of bite action, get those homemeade tipups built ASAP to match the 5-line max allowed on big lake. good luck, and i look forward to hearing a report!

Set gear in the dark, first thing in the morning and be ready for sunrise. The early and late periods of light change are the best. Midday is very slow. Big herring = bigger pike...

JIG!!!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Furfishgame I make my own quickstrike rigs for pike and they are deadly on a tipup.
    They consisit of 2 #8 or #6 trebles and some nylon coated seven strand leader material.
    I put a 1/8oz egg sinker on my line then a duoloc snap. I have swivels on the end of my quickstrikes and when I get a fish I just unhook them and put on a new one that is prebaited.
    Gets my tip-up back to fishing quicker and it is easier to unhook them as I can take my time and don't have excess line in the way.
    If they are legal on big lake they would work great.
    PM me with your address and I will send you some for free to try out. I know you are on a limited budget so maybe this will help you out.
    I made way too many this fall as they ae easy to construct if you have the materials and I was having fun adding different beads and blades to these things while I dreamed of giant pike and waited for safe ice.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Lots of good info one here. Yes, boat is legal for pike, as long as its a whole, recognized baitfish, such as a herring.

The way i was thinking was a small herring will catch small pike and some big pike, but a big herring will only catch big pike, and since I don't have mush confidence in my skills, and I have never even set a tip up before, let alone caught a fish on one, I would rather catch a few small ones to build my skills before I go after the big boys, plus bug herring were considerable more expensive. Hopefully I will get out tonight. if not, maybe tomorrow night.

I was thinking I would set a herring on a tip up and jig with a spoon with my ice pole, cause then I can catch some trout or char or what ever too, and thats always a good thing

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Lots of good info one here. Yes, boat is legal for pike, as long as its a whole, recognized baitfish, such as a herring.

The way i was thinking was a small herring will catch small pike and some big pike, but a big herring will only catch big pike, and since I don't have mush confidence in my skills, and I have never even set a tip up before, let alone caught a fish on one, I would rather catch a few small ones to build my skills before I go after the big boys, plus bug herring were considerable more expensive. Hopefully I will get out tonight. if not, maybe tomorrow night.
    Careful...bait is only allowed between 8am - 5pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Careful...bait is only allowed between 8am - 5pm.
    That coulda been bad, I didn't know that. Thanks! I planed on going out around 4:30 and fishing till after dark.

My tip up has 2 notches, one that is "light" and the other "hevy" for pike, should I set it on the "heavy" setting?

Yes, put it on the "heavy" setting. And don't be too fast to grab the tipup and start pulling line. Give the fish a bit to ensure it has taken the bait. Pike are known to grab their prey, swim a short distance, stop and release the prey to orient them head-first before eating. If you start pulling line before they complete this little dance, you might miss your opportunity.

As far as herring size, a pike can eat fish that are upwards of half the pike's own body length. Hence the big herring for big pike concept.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hey, thanks, these are still about 4 inches long, I may p grade after I figure out if there is and pike in there or not. Thanks for the advise

i finally got my license today. i hope to put in a few holes tomorrow out between purdy point and long island.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i finally got my license today. i hope to put in a few holes tomorrow out between purdy point and long island.
    If your out in the morning, I should be out there on a side road past long island somewheres, I'll be in a red kia sportage with a back window made out of plastic and blue duct tape, come say hey.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    ... with a back window made out of plastic and blue duct tape ...
    A true Alaskan right there. LOL!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast