Thread: "New" Sheep rifle scope

Default "New" Sheep rifle scope

Yes, I know the VX-2 has been around for a good long while but flipping through my latest Cabelas catalog I got to checking out the specs. The VX-2 in 2-7x33 with CDS weighs in at 9.9oz

Honestly I don't see me yanking the Swaro off my Kimber for this but at $350 with the custom turret dial it is a pretty darn good deal. I do wish that Swaro would make their ballistic turrets for the Z3 3-9x36 but that seems unlikely.

Kenton Industries will make you a custom turret for Leupold.
    Outdoorsmans in AZ will make you custom turret for your Swaro.

Default Leupold VX-3 CDS

I put a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 on my 7mm RM, sent Leupold my load data after working up a load (Berger 168's, 3000fps MV, 2000ft elev., 200yd zero) and they sent me a turret in about a week. It's dead on. I bought mine last year when they offered two turrets free, now i think it's just the first one free. My buddy and I were shooting and I'd pick a target, he'd range it, I adjusted and was hitting everything he called out. It's a bit heavier (12.6oz) but the image is crystal clear and it's accurate so I think it's worth the weight.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

You could also get a 4-12X40 VX-2 and still be 10% lighter than your Swaro 3-9 and have a bit more zoom to boot.

The swaro is crystal clear and sexy as heck! I don't see any changes in that rifle anytime soon.

LuJon,
    Try here: http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product...&categoryId=61

$199 per turret, $100 more than for the Leupold but if you want to keep your Swaro you can get this turret.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Unfortunately the Z3 3-9x36 won't accept the custom turrets. I will admit it is just a little tempting to put a VX-2 3-9x40 with CDS turret on my sheep rifle.

Didn't know Leupold offered the turrets on the VX-2. Is that a custom shop item?

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Didn't know Leupold offered the turrets on the VX-2. Is that a custom shop item?
    It used to be, but now for 2012 they are offereing VX-2 to get CDS from factory if desired.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupo...h-All+Products

the scope i chose to top off my sheep rifle this year was a 4.5 x 14 vari-x III. this is the lightest scope leupold has with a 30mm tube and a parallax adjustment. i put target knobs on it and it weighs in at 15.2 oz. it is a great setup and i feel the lightest scope i could put together with its components. i chose this scope b/c the rifle i was shooting is very capable of "long range" shooting, not here to open a can of worms please. i used nightforce titanium alloy rings b/c i needed a picatinny rail to mount my level and angle compensator. the setup worked out great but i might change it for next year. i ordered a vari-x III 3-10x and had the CDS knobs installed in the custom shop as well as the parallax set at 250 instead of 100 yds from factory. here is my scope this year mounted on my rifle (6.5 WSM with a MPI ultralight stock, stiller action, 1.5lb jewell trigger, and pacnor ultralight bbl.) shoots very nice groups at 440 yds....