Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting take on Sheep Hunting in Alaska...

Default Interesting take on Sheep Hunting in Alaska...

I guess us resident sheep hunters are decimating the sheep and are putting the guides out of business. I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

http://www.steveshunts.com/sheep_AK_dall_backpack.html

"We will be the first to admit that we have pulled the majority of our sheep hunters out of Alaska. This is due to the number of resident hunters and the growing pressure they are placing on the Alaskan sheep populations. Combined with a growing wolf predation situation and the fact that most of Alaska’s sheep units are going to a draw to control sheep harvest it is becoming harder and harder to book quality sheep hunts in this state."
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Yes, he seems to be confused. I would reword that sentence to "due to increasing pressures from greedy guides and booking agents like myself scheduling $15,000 hunts.....sheep hunting can be a little crowded in places!"
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

mustn't have reed or herd wentjs and heimers info!
    wes

This outfit thinks things are looking up though. He may be able to get back to 100% success rate now that the "resident pressure" has dropped off. hmmm, could 10 years of taking 8-10 rams per year have had anything to do with it? I'm just asking the question.

http://www.besthunts.net/North%20American%20Sheep.aspx

"This outfitter has experienced 2 tough years in a row for legal rams. They are seeing plenty of sheep, in fact, more than years past but the rams are just coming of age. He remembers back to a couple of very wet January’s and thinks they lost 2 years of fawns. Resident pressure has appeared to drop off and we expect this hunt to be on track. He only wants to take 4 or 5 sheep hunters in 2012 and is currently booked. In 2011 the early part of the season experienced terrible weather conditions and overall they ended up taking 3 rams for 6 hunters."

"2010 was tougher than normal due to extreme weather with high winds and more resident pressure than past years, but they still took 8 rams for 10 hunters."

"In 2009 all 8 hunters took rams and over the previous 10 years all HCU customers have scored on full-curled rams."
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Dang I hate it when the fawns die!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Dang I hate it when the fawns die!!
    And the "wet" Januarys in the Wrangell's can turn the high country into a swamp.... They probably drowned....poor rascals... I wonder how the lambs faired?

"On this hunt our clients are flown to a remote lake and then backpack a full day to their spike camp. (sometimes two days depending on the location of the sheep) By backpack hunting the cost to operate this hunt is reduced by eliminating horses and helicopters. This hunt is only for people with determination and good physical conditioning. If you cannot carry your spike camp on your back or at least a good portion of it - this hunt is not for you! Call our office for details on our Alaskan sheep hunts, dates, and availability."

At least they eliminated those pesky helicopter costs!

Good riddance.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Sheesh, the nerve of those pesky resident hunters !

Don't let the door hit you on the way out !

Haha...is this guy serious? It would blow his mind if some of you guys told him how many sheep you have taken...probably most without being granted a draw or even having to do a registration hunt! Good ole harvest ticket, park the truck, pick up the pack, see you in 10-12 days!! I bet his clients would love to hear things like that...especially the cost of hunts like that!

If I was spending $15K it better include a helicopter drop off!!!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

only thing that's kept me from dropping money on a Dalls hunt is hoping i become an Alaskan resident......i can move all my stuff up there for less than a sheep hunt.

"it is becoming harder and harder to book quality sheep hunts in this state."

Where on earth is he finding "quality sheep hunts" better than Alaska?

Probably Canada.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    And the "wet" Januarys in the Wrangell's can turn the high country into a swamp.... They probably drowned....poor rascals... I wonder how the lambs faired?
    NO perry... but thay can turn it all to ICE, and cover/encase any remaining food sorce
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    NO perry... but thay can turn it all to ICE, and cover/encase any remaining food sorce
    Ice sure isn't something I conjure up in my vision of a wet "swamp"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Ice sure isn't something I conjure up in my vision of a wet "swamp"
    wet rain in January, Febuary... we have had a few of them in recent years. it all freezes shortly after falling... but you know that...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I looked at the SOA website and had to wonder about the ram picture with six people behind the harvested ram. That doesn't seem like a backpacking hunt to me. Also, what is with the ram picture down in a meadow with large spruce trees? That doesn't look like any place I've hunted sheep?????

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I looked at the SOA website and had to wonder about the ram picture with six people behind the harvested ram. That doesn't seem like a backpacking hunt to me. Also, what is with the ram picture down in a meadow with large spruce trees? That doesn't look like any place I've hunted sheep?????
    heck the meadow is the only place to hunt them... they come down for water all the time. walk right through moose camp, and up the next side. I have some nice video of a 3/4 walking across the airstrip... have seen Full Curl on the parks highway, even seen a Big horn walking down I95 by the hoover dam last fall. I know that if i am patient... one will come to me, i dont have to climb the hill...

meet on face book here

I guess he forgot the statistic where resident hunter numbers have been steadily declining for the past, what?, 10 years.

Vince, your post #15 ? Have you seen much "dry rain " Which month does it occur? LOL

I assume somebody has sent that Steve character an email explaining that resident hunter numbers are on a decline? The guy it a putz and his show is a 1/2 hour infomercial. I'm a fat guy just like him and there's no way he's getting his fat butt into sheep country without a lot of help. There's a reason he likes those Canadian hunts...helicopters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast