Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas auger

Default Gas auger

Looking to get rid of this hand auger. Any suggestions? Looking to keep it under $400 if possible, but i want something reliable.

Thx

I like my Jiffy model 30 I have an 8" and a 10" I also have an Eskimo 8" and it has NEVER failed to start on me.
    I have to adjust the idle screws on my jiffy's if there is a big temperature change between uses but that is a very minor deal.
    My Jiffy is a lot faster than my Eskimo if you have to drill a lot of holes in thick ice.
    I would try to avoid those augers with plastic handles as I have heard of them breaking on cold days when they were accidently dropped.
    I like as many metal parts on one as possible. Plastic and the cold is seldom a good thing although they all have more of it these days.
    Look at the warranties on augers as well there is usually a difference. A better warranty can be priceless if you have issues with your auger for any reason.
    Also make sure they stock parts locally for your auger of choice. I would hate to have to ruin a fishing trip because I needed new blades or an auger extension and had to order it and wait for the mail.
    I vote for Eskimo or Jiffy as I like them both.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Buy a Strike Master. Best Augers.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I agree with kasilofchrisn with the Jiffy. I have a Jiffy white lightning and it has never failed me. It has always started and works great. I have had it now 4 years with nothing negative to say about it. It also has barely any plastic on it. Seems like Plastic is on all augers now. They either break with the cold temps or burn from the exhaust. Really? Seems like a poor choice of material.

strikemaster. i have a cobra 3.5 horse my dad handed down to me before i came up here and he had it for years before giving it to me. had a 10.5 inch drill for many years until the welds broke. got a 8 inch drill on it now and it rips through ice like no other. The new strike masters are amazing dad got a brand new one and one or 2 pulls and its rip roarin ready to go.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I agree with kasilofchrisn with the Jiffy. I have a Jiffy white lightning and it has never failed me. It has always started and works great. I have had it now 4 years with nothing negative to say about it. It also has barely any plastic on it. Seems like Plastic is on all augers now. They either break with the cold temps or burn from the exhaust. Really? Seems like a poor choice of material.
    Yes it is sad to see all the plastic on these new augers.
    I read on iceshanty about a guy who somehow dropped his buddies new strikemaster and he broke the plastic handle.
    I think some of the new Eskimo's have plastic handles as well.
    They may be a tad lighter but i'll take my mostly metal augers anyday.

Thx for the info i think imma go with the eskimo mako but should i stay 8" or go with the 10"

If I were to give up my electric drill and total portability for a gas powered auger, I don't think you can beat the mako 43 in 10" with the $320 price tag. SW even had that model on sale for $280 for a bit at the beginning of the season. It was tempting. We'll see if they tempt us again as the ice starts melting.

I must say that I'm perfectly happy with my Eskimo 8" Barracuda chucked up to the 18v lithium powered 1/2" Makita drill. Sure it's a little slower to drill, but you can't beat the weight savings and the drill does more than just punch holes in the ice. Plus, it quickly converts back to a hand powered auger if needed (which is usually even easier than the drill for early season ice). Not sure what else you can do with a gas auger around the house and during the summer? It's just another engine to maintain... though it does add to your total piston count.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Haha joat, you made up my mind imma head over to SW when i get time away from work. Maybe they got em on sale again.

Aih on commercial drive in anxhorage has the 10 inch for330 and I'm pretty sure sportsmans is 430 but it might be a little bigger engine. I used mine from aih it's an Eskimo and it worked awesome.

if your going to be carrying the auger out to spots or pulling it in a sled i would go with the 8 inch. but if you have a sled or a wheeler where weight isnt an issue i would get the 10 inch. especailly if you do alot of laker fishing i would get the 10 never know when you will get that monster and it would be ashame not to be able to turn it up the hole lol
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Out of my 3 Strikemasters I use the 2hp 8" lazer mag the most. It has plastic all over it and I've hauled it all over hells half acre for several years without breaking anything. When I take a couple friends and drill 15 holes for pike you get to love the lightweight and speed. Beats my old 3hp 10" cobra hands down. Whatever you buy, you'll be glad to put up the hand drill!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    if your going to be carrying the auger out to spots or pulling it in a sled i would go with the 8 inch. but if you have a sled or a wheeler where weight isnt an issue i would get the 10 inch. especailly if you do alot of laker fishing i would get the 10 never know when you will get that monster and it would be ashame not to be able to turn it up the hole lol
    Thats my biggest fear getting the fish to the hole and he wont fit. I gotta have the 10" idc if i have to drag a lil more weight.

silly folks, with a strike master 8", you can drill into the side of your first cut to make a 14 in wide oval shaped hole. Some models can't do this.

Can' beat that Solo (german engine) on the strike masters. tested it at 40 below zero (f). Darned near a chainsaw engine on those Strikemaster Augers. I went through two Jiffys to get to this gem.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    silly folks, with a strike master 8", you can drill into the side of your first cut to make a 14 in wide oval shaped hole. Some models can't do this.

Can' beat that Solo (german engine) on the strike masters. tested it at 40 below zero (f). Darned near a chainsaw engine on those Strikemaster Augers. I went through two Jiffys to get to this gem.
    Your prolly right lol but falling through the ice is my sec fear haha. I'm new to ice fishing and i dont quite trust the ice even if it is 24" thick. Last sat. the ice cracked and i bout had to change clothes. i read somewhere that is normal for the ice to crack on sunny days but idk if thats true or not.

Is that the same strike master sold at wal-mart for like $440?

Its very normal forthe ice to make noises and crack and it always makes me uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Its very normal forthe ice to make noises and crack and it always makes me uncomfortable.
    It sounded like a gunshot the ice cracked bout a ft from the quickfish. The crack was 10' or so, Only being out on the ice 4 times i didnt know cracking was normal.

Thx for all the info.

Wait until a truck drives by and water sloshes in and out of your hole! Good times... You just get used to it.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Yes the cracking is normal. I have had cracks go right between my legs. I was only on 4" at the time but I wasn't really worried.I have been ice fishing since I was a little kid.
    Usually it means the ice is growing or otherwise changing but usually it isn't a bad thing.
    As Alaskanassasin said lot of people get a little scared the first time a truck drives by with all the cracking that causes.

Default Basic Physics

Unlike most substances, water reaches its maximum density at about 39F (which will be the temperature of the water at the bottom of any still lake during the winter, as the most dense water sinks to the bottom; hence the reason most fish like to winter over at the bottom where it's the warmest). As it cools further and then changes into the solid state, it becomes less dense (and rises to the surface). This expansion of water as it freezes into ice is absolute. In short, there is no way to freeze the surface layer of a pool of water without the expansion of that ice causing fractures and cracking as it expands. Also remember that the ice is buoyant and will float your weight very well, even if it's fractured.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast