Thread: Standard fly grouping for kenai

Default Standard fly grouping for kenai

Hello,

New to the forum. Going to be spending some time on the kenai pennisula this summer. Was curious what standard flies I should be tying in preparation for my trip? I live down in Colorado and not sure if the standard flies down here work up there. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Boy, it sure depends on what you'll fish for, and to a lesser degree where on the Kenai you'll do it.

I'm no expert on the Kenai, but there are lots of guys here than can fill in once you give them a framework to use.

Now BB you fish the Kenai.

Couple of thoughts and Brown Bear is spot on lot depends on location, traget fish and time of year.

Some people are all about the Bead and flesh, some people are all about Big and Bright and some people are all about the yarn.

I have a friend who I provide a couple dz little soft hackle stones to every year and does very well on them in the Spring for Bows.

There are patterns that are proven more so than others. If you want to KISS and if your after the first run of Reds or even in the middle of them Beads tend to work.. The Russian is a little different IMO early I have caught bows fishing Woolley Buggers in the middle of the run through Mid August however not the most productive pattern.

Most folk's tend not to pay attention to what is what in the air or even coming off but if I were a betting person which I am not I would bring some old standard trout stuff an have some fun.

Prince Nymph size 12-10-8, Stone Fly yellow and brown size 10-8-6, Woolley Bugger size 6-4, Clouser size 6-4, Madam X or Stimulator size 12-10, Caddis size 12-10 and for giggles Griffith Gnats size 16-14-12. That is if I were bringing standard flies. This allows you the ability to fish other streams in the area for trout as well as grayling.

Don't forget to read up on Beads and what rules and regs apply as well as your standard assortment of Russian River Flies.

Last note I promise. There are some darn good stone fly hatches as well as caddis in the area and the lakes are fun as well.

Have fun sorry for the spelling errors an enjoy your trip.

One specific location at this point is three days on upper russian lake / river / goat creek. Other areas are yet to be determined. Will be there in mid to late July if that helps. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1st run of Reds will be up an through by then so Flesh and beads might be a requirement. You will be in for some standard fly fishing IMO. Bears! I would assume you are hiking in? Might just be max trout fishing going on as well. Others will chime in with additional data.

For the Upper Russian Lake area, many of the same stillwater and stream flies you use in CO will work fine. The list Moose gave in post #3 could get you along pretty well around the lake. That's far enough up the Russian River system that it won't be completely dominated by salmon. Farther downstream towards the Kenai River, you'd definitely do well to go with flesh and egg patterns/beads.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I've had very good success around that time on small ESL in purple or black, gold stones, bead head hares ears, prince nymphs for trout. As for reds I use about a 1/4 in X 1/2 in long piece of black yarn attached by way of snell knot on a 3/8in gapped egg hook
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

If your fishing the upper russian lake / river / goat creek you should definitely bring some mouse patterns. In the Upper Russian and Goat Cr. you can have bows smash your mouse every cast. It's so cool to watch your mouse bump around from all the trout hitting at once!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly