Thread: line suggestions for new salmon rig

Default line suggestions for new salmon rig

Wife bought me a St Croix salmon rod, 8'6'' heavy action, with a shimano spheros 6000. Plan to use this to fish for kings and maybe some pike.
    Any suggestions on the type and pound test of line that I should put on it.
    Would be using it for any type of king fishing. Boat, bank etc.
    Thanks
    Jason

Nice rod. As always, I would suggest Power Pro, 50 lb. or 80 lb.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Im a big fan of 80lb braid. I use it on my Abu baitcaster. It rips the lips off 'em! Just have to be carefull with the braid, it can get ugly if your not paying attention. Makes one hell of a knot.

Default Line for Salmon

I would suggest 20lb mono line with low memory for a Shimano 6000 spinning reel. Maxima ultra green, Trilene Big Game, or P-Line are good choices. Like the others have mentioned you may want to load the other spool with 50lb or 60lb braid. However, it can be tough to work with if your not use to it. Spinning reels have a tendancy to create wind knots which can be a hard to untie. I just bought the new Phlueger 3500 Supreme spinning reel and loaded it with 30lb Tuff line braid for fishing the smaller coastal rivers.

20lb mono is perfect.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default 50 pound power pro

I used 30 and 50 pound power pro last year for kings and I had probably 10 kings break my line. I don't think the power pro is good unless it is at least 65 pound test, still small diameter but a lot stronger. I spooled my new reel with the 65 pound for this year. I know three other people that have had the same experience. Small diameter power pro seems brittle. Good luck

Default Power Pro

SalmonMan, you must be fishin on the big ones. I have 40lb power pro on one of my baitcasters. Maybe I should switch to another brand? Although, I won't be using it on the Kenai or Klutina rivers.

Question

Any chance those lines weren't breaking but rather the knots slipping because they weren't tied correct? Just seems odd I could never break the stuff if I wanted too but tie a knot wrong and it pulls right out.

i echo akbighorn's comment. it's much more likely that the knots were faulty because that stuff is notorious for being nearly impossible to break. it's real popular on the kenai because you can get hung up and almost always get your gear back. i've seen folks drag up huge snags off the bottom of the river with that stuff... any other line would have snapped long before the snag came up. not trying to hate on your knot tying skills, but braided line is real tricky; many of the knots you're use to tying will simply slip right out. the other possibility is that you somehow got a rotten spool of line.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default there are better braids than pp

For spinning where u are not just fishing a sandy area (like most rivers) use 50# or higher and forget the PP....on spinning it's especially bad b/c of knots and it's not very abrasion resistant...stren super braid and suffix braid both have much less of an issue with wind knots and abrasion b/c of the application of the coating. On pp the coating is just on the outside and it washes out whereas on suffix and stren it is put on each strand which allows for better abrasion resistance and less wind knots (none so far for me whereas I had plenty on pp). 50# or 65# should be just fine...suffix is the most abraion resistant and this is why it's so popular here on the east coast in the rocky surf.

I use 30# where I am fishing open beaches and where distance is key, but 50# and 65# braid will still significantly outcast mono on spinning tackle.

Default Power Pro

I know I thought I was not tying the stuff right. I used the knot they recommend, I think the Palomar? But my brother and a friend saw it too. I would hook a king, most were over 30 pounds, and the line would snap half way between myself and the water. I definately figured out how little abraison resistance the smaller diameter has. You don't want to bounce the bottom of a river with corkies and spin&glows unless you have at least 65 pound test. Just my experience. 20 pound mono definately works well on the russian for reds. Very abraison resistant. I like Maxima the best in mono. The only problem with mono is its ability to be cast long distance in the larger diameters.

I use 17 pound mono, and never never braid, I much prefer landing fish to simply hooking them, I also like to not have my rods break.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Sorry but the line doesn't break rods, people do. Just like guns don't kill, people do

but braided line makes it easier to break a rod, just as guns make it easier to kill people.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.