Thread: Keep um dry

Default Keep um dry

Don't ever forget to whip down/oil you gun after you bring it in from out side, the condensation is bad mojo for it. I sent 8 really tight patches through the barrel of my mosin and there is still some sort of crap that won't come out (gonna pop a round off to clean it out tomorrow). lots of rust around the extractor and magazine where I couldn't get into to clean, after just 2 days of it being moist it got really bad, and I had just oiled everything a week or so before. Just a reminder
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quality in the parts and the material go a long way in a firearm, imo. I have one rifle that has been on a lot of hunts in different locations throughout Alaska and that rifle has never seen a drip of oil or cleaning solution.

Jeez. I didn't even give it a though till I was bringing it in today from the car (I pretty much take it with me everywhere, for just in case) and I noticed a little rist right in the start of the barrel, so I got out some paper towels to whip it out, I didn't think it was gonna be as bad as it was.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

The steel is the same in most all rifle barrels from 1880 to today, with better techniques for tempering and manufacture being the main improvements.
    You barrels steel has pores that will hold all kinds of crud, copper , lead, carbon, and if it rusts, , pitting from that will give you hell forever.Solvent or Hot water/dish soap will free this from the steel with a scrubbing with the bore brush.
    If your using the Soviet cleaning kit, with the rod and muzzle protecting cap, Do not forget to use the rod sleeve and cross peice to make the "T" with your cleaning rod, and allow the brush to rotate with the lands and grooves, and effectively clean them while you stroke the brush up and down the bore. If your rod is ridged or your stroking the bore with too small a brush, you may be leaving carbon and metals in "blind spots" like sweeping hard down a stairs and not getting whats next to the step.Be sure you brush your chamber too, the oiling is a protector for the bare steel.
    Still, if your just wiping and oiling ,you are not getting the moisture off from the parts that are covered.
    If its a cold rifle and you have space in your front door shed, leave it there.
    If your getting rust in the barrel, are you using non corrosively primed Military ammo? Hot water will dissolve the salts and flush them out, and dry itself, while solving your 'cold sweating" blues..... Patches are not enough, they are to wipe what you have dissolved and to put oil on the steel.
    When I bring a rifle in from the cold, it gos immediately to a furnace room or next to my wood stove for heat to dry it, as I make hot water for my barrel cleaning and tea when Im done.

get agressive on all rust, and a dab of cold blue doesnt hurt on those exposed places, either, after a deep cleaning.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Don't ever forget to whip down/oil you gun after you bring it in from out side, the condensation is bad mojo for it. I sent 8 really tight patches through the barrel of my mosin and there is still some sort of crap that won't come out (gonna pop a round off to clean it out tomorrow). lots of rust around the extractor and magazine where I couldn't get into to clean, after just 2 days of it being moist it got really bad, and I had just oiled everything a week or so before. Just a reminder
    I've learned to seal my guns in a "canoe" bag and squeeze out all the air before bringing them indoors. The more air you can get out of the bag, the less they condense. Once they come up to room temp you can take them out of the bag without issues.

Gotta watch for the condensation you can't see. Such as the innards on blued revolvers and inside the trigger housings such as you find on Remingtons. They'll rust as surely where you can't see it as where you can.