Thread: 45/90

Default 45/90

Does anyone use a 45/90

I have been told that those who do, also shoot the 45.70 in it. It seems like it would foul the chamber and that accuracy could also be effected ??

It can be done, but it is not recommended. Accuracy will drop precipitously too. There is really no need to use a 45-90 today unless you are using black powder. A modern 45-70 with smokeless loads will do anything a 45-90 will do. Jim

Some folks are taking their 45/70 singles to 45/120 and use all in between but my 45/70 has all the recoil I need
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My buddy hooker has a 45/90, I never heard of one till he got his
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Yes, you can use 45/70 ammo in a 45/90- it's just like 38 special in a 357 mag. You will have a little bit of freebore, but usually no real accuracy loss. Not recommended is 45/70 in the 110 or the 120... much different effects. What I have seen is the brass doesn't seal the chamber fast enough to keep blowback of burnt powder ect into the chamber area. Pressures are not as consistant as should be either. I played with a 45/70 that was reamed out to 45/120 for a while. And honestly I liked the 45/120 with a paper patched 527 gr projectile using a blackpowder substitue. Also if the firearm is one of the lever actions... sooner or later you will get a feeding problem with multiple bullets coming out of the tube. Like using 45 Shofield in a 45 Colt levergun.
    Ammo fits, but feeding sucks.

If you need to use different ammo in an emergency, it's good to know what will fire in your firearm. (But, not for EVERYDAY USE>)

Like knowing you can shoot 45 S & W and 45 Schofield in your 460 S & W, they works but ... why?
    I have yet to be in an ammunition emergency, and found either of those laying around.

Use what shoots best in your firearm, and carry enough Ammo.

Chris

gentlemen, thank you

Chris, thanks for the extra information, it is appreciated