Thread: Using 4 wheeler seat for bear bait!

Default Using 4 wheeler seat for bear bait!

I've not had it happen to me yet, but have been out in the woods and seen a couple times where a bear had tore up someone's foam seat on their quad.

The new place I plan on baiting this year is a wheeler ride in, and then a mile or so pack. Naturely, I'm worried about leaving my wheeler there while I'm up in my stand. Any advice? Stories?

Your asking for a question that is still in study, lol and is the fear of many men if the wife is along.

I'm saying its false.

My four wheeler was chewed up ( the seat and the tires (brand new )and just because it was fun for him. He found a case of beer that I had stashed and opened all but one of them because of the fizz., pissed me off when I got there and did'nt have a beer after the ride.

To this day I hope he was wandering the woods in a haze, lol.

I guess I should say that the 4-wheeler is parked near the river where we dock the boats. All the family use's it to go the 3/4 mile to get to the cabin. I have 5 sisters, lol , and we have since made a metal cover for the seat, and the thing has sat there all summer for 12 years, and other than that one time and it's never been bothered since. ( But that one time cost about $200.00 , lmao )

My Dad had his Plane at a place out in the woods and it was about a mile away from the cabin and he was checking it daily and one day he went down there and a bear thought it was fun to run his claws through the fabric, lol. Well thats where the 100 mile pre hour tape came to get its name, LMAO, That plane looked liked something from the RED-GREEN show.

I have often sat in a tree stand while trying to get a furry black bear come in and wondered if an ATV seat and some fabric from a plane would work better for bait than popcorn and anis spray.

Funny story 11 years ago when I moved up here I hunted with my neighbor the first year bear hunting in the spring everytime we would get to our atv parking spot he would take off his seat and put it under his atv. I laughed everytime because he said bears love seats.Well being new to Alaska I allways thought he was yanking my chain well after 3 weeks of doing that on our way back 1 night I keep seeing stuff all over the Tundra he started laughing.....Yep it was my seat all over the place needless to say a long ride home standing up.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

if youd change your undies more then once a month this wouldnt happen Roger ) Hows K and the new GIG @ pville goin?
    700 in yet ?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I had bears climb on my wheeler and take a whizz on the seat, but never had them chew it up. I have had them chew up 2 soft gun cases and play around with our helmets...and as it turns out, they seem to enjoy a cold Dr. Pepper also.

If I bring my fourwheeler to my bait I usually park it about 300yds or so away from my stand. Never had anything munch on it...yet! I did have a bear steal my nice temperpedic memory foam seat I made for my treestand though

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have three with torn seats from one bear ... one visit. he didnt eat them just playing on the bikes claws ripped the fabric and pulled some foam.

bears are like puppys... they play with stuff ... espessally if you got bait on you, then rode the bike in.

i have an old tent fly in my yard i use to cover thing.. i have trail cam pics of a dozen different bears over the last s3 years dragging that flapping fly behind them... for the fun i guess??? then!!!!!! THERE ARE GAS JUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKANRMK View Post
    if youd change your undies more then once a month this wouldnt happen Roger ) Hows K and the new GIG @ pville goin?
    700 in yet ?
    It's going, If I can keep everything from not freezing. Nope got you a 900 (2-450's)

Had a friend that would hang a towel out on a limb every spring and sure enough the bear would show up grab it and play with it and drop it at his doorstop at night.

Had one that was looking to see what I had in the boat, big bruiser left a 10 long front paw print right on the seat but did'nt eat it, ( probably scared the heck out of him when the boat tipped, lol ) ( It got my attention real quick because I was just down there an hour earlier, lol. )

Don't even get me started on how many empty gas jugs they have riuned, but its funny they never have messed with the one that are full.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Don't even get me started on how many empty gas jugs they have riuned, but its funny they never have messed with the one that are full.
    LOL luck you, i had one take down the tree the 15 gallon jug was tied in, just to chew the jug. lots of saw gas and oil bottles all eaten, have had them break into totes to get to it, up root trees, etc.. you can hide them, hang them, bury them, the bear will find it, if the potential FINE for environmental damage was not so high, i would use full gas jugs for Bait in the spring.

EDIT****

Griz are much worse then Blackies with the gas IMO also.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was thinking about using an electric fence, but now think that I'll just take the seat off and put it in the cargo tub I have bolted to the back of the wheeler.

Just got an email today of a grizzly that got into a Toyota Sequoia and then the door clicked shut behind it... The pictures are pretty amazing. I'll see if I can post them later this evening.

Attachment 56727

Here's one, have to leave the house now, but will try to do the rest later.

i know right screw stashing the wheeler in the trees park it next to the barrel!

I accidently deleted the email with the trashed Sequoia pictures. Whoops. Anyway, everything was ripped up and all the airbags had deployed and then been ripped up also. The griz had finally broke out the back window and gotten out, it said. Bet it was the first time the grizzly had ever deployed an airbag. Would have been interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    It's going, If I can keep everything from not freezing. Nope got you a 900 (2-450's)
    spinners????

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKANRMK View Post
    spinners????

Thats a man with to much money, LMAO.