Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bearcat owners check those idler wheels.

Default New Bearcat owners check those idler wheels.

I checked my bearings on my 15 or so idler wheels on my Bearcat Z1 XT at the beginning of the season and they were in pretty good shape. I replaced one outer rear wheel due to damage. Today I lost two of the eight inner ones that don't have replaceable bearings. I checked the rest and they are all toast. I only have 1000 miles on the sled. All of my outers with replaceable bearings are also toast. We'll see if they are under warranty. I'm just going to replace the bearings in the replaceable ones with U.S. made ones if I can find them. I am in search of an innner that has a replaceable bearing right now.

I really love this sled, but like many of the new ones the use of bad bearings really ticks me off. I pulled out my '98 Summit X from the weeds after sitting for 5 years and not a single bearing was bad and they had 2000 miles on them before I parked the sled. Our older Polaris sleds have original bearings and they are from the mid 90's.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be checking our tomorrow.

Justin wanted me to get ahold of you I figured I'd just make a thread. I'll keep everyone posted as to where I get bearings, possible idlers with replaceable bearings, and their part numbers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Justin wanted me to get ahold of you I figured I'd just make a thread. I'll keep everyone posted as to where I get bearings, possible idlers with replaceable bearings, and their part numbers, etc.
    Doug,
    I've lost two idlers on mine, (570XT) this winter and I'm pretty sure some bearings are going. I'm assuming we have the same undercarriage.

Thanks in advance for posting what you find out.
    Kelvin

Wow! I've been looking into getting a new bearcat and this raises a question or two....

1. Will the factory warranty cover this issue? (when you find out)

2. Would this issue stop you from purchasing another bearcat?

Very disappointing news since I've heard nothing but good about em...

Thanks for the heads up!

I hope this is solved. The Bearcat is a beast of a machine! The forum ride left me very impressed with them. I think Doug's bearcat did almost as many miles towing an RMK behind it as he did without!

Boy, don't like hearing this. I have the the reg Bearcat 570 fan and have had zero problems. I'll be checking this weekend..

Doug,

Double check me on this, but I think Arctic Cat uses Chinese NSK 6400 for those bearings.

The part number listed on the Arctic Cat drawings is 6400. I not sure if I totally believe that because 6400 is an open bearing. 6400ZZ are the bearings with shields on each side. 6400DDU have seals on both sides.

The Timken equivalent is 9104DD for two shields and 9104PP for two seals.

Im guessing wed want seals, but I dont know what the difference is between shields and seals.

Kelvin

I just brought my 2010 570XT into the garage to get it ready. You have any pictures of the bad bearings? Kelvn, where did you get a parts book? Also please let us know if they warranty this for you? 650 miles on mine no problems yet. Starter gears.
    Tim

Tim,
    First off, THANK YOU FOR ASKING!!!! While typing my reply I see I've got a typo in my previous post. The NSK part is 6004, not 6400. 6004 crosses to Timken 9104. If you go to http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com you can look at pictures from the Arctic Cat parts book.

Item 5 is for a 2010 Bearcat 570XT. That part is shown as Arctic Cat P/N 3604-033 BEARING,WHL-NSK CHINA 6004-W/ENS GREASE $11.72

That same bearing is shown on another drawing for the chassis.

I got the Timken P/N 9104 from crossing NSK 6004 at the Timken website. In general the cross-reference for single row deep groove ball bearing is NSK 60xx, SKF 60xx, Tor/Faf(Timken) 91xxK, FAG 60xx, MRC 1xxK. Then you need to add the options, (like seals on the sides).

Now that is for crossing like bearings. It would be nice to find an upgrade and only replace them once.
    Kelvin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spin them. If they rattle noticeably they are going bad. The Bearcat idlers that I took off use an NTN bearing. NTN sources bearings from everywhere so you have to watch it. The majority of the bearings under the sled are 6004's, the top two big wheels use 6205's. I am still working on finding a wheel with a replaceable bearing to replace the molded in ones that Cat uses for 8 of the wheels.

Would this stop me from buying another Bearcat? No. These are the same wheels sources for most of the Cats. I talked to a diehard Skidoo friend of mine and he's had the same issues with a Skandic. They just aren't using quality bearings on anything anymore. Many guys don't know they have any trouble until they completely fail.

The best Arctic Cat resource is http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/fr...6modelID%3D222

Years ago I used to ride cats and had idler bearing problems to. We got to taking the seal out of the bearing, using a small dental pick. We would then get a good marine grade wheel bearing grease and fill the bearing. Put the seal back in and good to go. We usually done this in the fall, and no trouble the rest of the season. I can not remember the brand of the grease, but I have some out in the shop and can get the name if anyone is interested. I also use it on both of my boat trailer wheel bearing with very good results. When we needed to replace the bearing we would go to NAPA and they could match the bearing. Way cheaper than from cat.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Alaska Bearing
    350 E. International Airport Road
    Anchorage, AK 99518
    562-1406
    800-770-1406
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yep. I was there yesterday and walked out with a pile of bearings. I used the trick BlueThunder does in the past. These bearings I pulled from my sled were too far gone to grease, plus 8 of them are not replaceable.

Yep. I was there yesterday and walked out with a pile of bearings. I used the trick BlueThunder does in the past. These bearings I pulled from my sled were too far gone to grease, plus 8 of them are not replaceable.
    Doug,
    What did those bearings run you?

Kelvin

Hey Doug, if you see Dave can you have him check out my Bearcat for that problem, since it's in his shop? Would be great if it can be checked out and fixed before I pick it up in two weeks, if there is a problem with them. I'm guessing I'm around 1000 to 1500 miles on mine.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I'll check myself I was over there a few minutes ago giving your machine a loving pet and encouraging it Your RMK headlights work good now. Justin is working on the tail light as I type this.

Kelvin, $6.00 for the 6004's, $7.50 for the 6305's.

Ebay got a deal going. You can get the 6004's for $13.00 and the 6205's for $23.00, (plus shipping!) Alaska bearing here I come!

Thanks

I'll check myself I was over there a few minutes ago giving your machine a loving pet and encouraging it Your RMK headlights work good now. Justin is working on the tail light as I type this.

Kelvin, $6.00 for the 6004's, $7.50 for the 6305's.
    Warranty?? No help there???

Yes, they were covered by warranty. However, I didn't want to wait to have the work done and I can't very well expect the dealer to shove everyone else out of my way to get it done. So, I got the inner non-replaceable bearing ones covered by the dealer and I installed them. The ones with replaceable bearings I covered because I wanted to use non-Chinese bearings and I didn't want the bearings Cat used in the first place.

We did the job last night and it was a bit of a chore. You definitely need a good sled lift (in our case a forklift) to get the butt end way in the air to get the skid out. The new replacement wheels, while still having a non-replaceable bearing, look to have better seals and bearings. The one replacement wheel I got from Cat that had a replaceable bearing in it installed from the factory had an NTN bearing in it, while all the other wheels that came from the factory when the sled was produced had crap NTZ Chinese bearings.

I checked over 6 Bearcats over the last week in AK MTN Magic's shop. All had more miles than mine and none of them had any bad wheels that I could find. Bear in mind that my sled was a demo bought with 600 miles on it. It may not have had the care that many of you show your sleds. On a final note, the most important wheels, the very rear wheels and the upper wheels that the track runs over at the top were in perfect condition. You can run without any of the other wheels without harm to the sled to get it home, so it's not like this whole episode was an emergency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast