Thread: Proposal writing

Default Proposal writing

I'm sure some on here have written some proposals. I have not, but would like to. Any pointers, tips etc? It looks like you can do it online, and looks straight forward,but I know that wording, and stuff like that matters with stuff like this. PM me if you have any pointers or ideas what the board looks for in a well written proposal! Thanks
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Well, I'm no BOG member, but I've read and written a few technical arguments, some of which were for public meetings. So consider this to be general comments, rather than specific experience. My thoughts would be:

1. Make your argument with REAL, and RELEVANT data if possible. For a BOG proposal I would think that would be harvest ticket trends, F&G counts, etc. I've seen plenty of proposals and public comment using no data other than some version of "everyone knows...." You may very well be right, but the BOG doesn't know that.

2. Don't insult anyone. Even the people you don't agree with. Lots of people like to make thinly veiled comments in the "Who would this hurt" section of the form, which I seriously doubt wins them any points.

3. Have multiple people proof read/critique it. Ideally at least one person with an english or technical writing background would be good.

4. Also, if I was writing one, I would check with the area biologist to see if they think it makes sense and had a prayer of passing. If they are against it, then you are in for a tough go in front of the BOG.

Those are just my thoughts.

Yk

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Everything you need to know is right here > http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ameboard.forms

Key Steps in the Proposal Process

Call for Proposals Issued
    Each board determines what subjects will be considered at their meetings during the coming year and then issues a "Call for Proposals" for those subjects, including a deadline for receiving proposals.

Proposal Books Distributed
    After the deadline for receiving proposals has passed, a proposal book is published which is distributed statewide for comment.

Public Comment Invited
    The board accepts written public comment on proposals before each meeting. You may comment on the regulation changes, including the potential costs to the private persons of complying with the proposed changes, by submitting written comments limited to no more than 100 single sided or 50 double sided pages to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Boards Support Section, P.O. Box 115526, Juneau, AK 99811-5526, or by fax to (907) 465-6094, so that the comments will be received no later than two weeks prior to the meeting during which the topic will be considered. Unless otherwise specifically specified for a particular meeting in a published notice, written comment over 100 single sided or 50 double sided pages in length from any one individual or group relating to proposals at any one meeting will not be accepted. Written comments limited to 10 single sided or 5 double sided pages in length from any one individual or group will also be accepted after the two-week deadline, but will not be inserted in board member workbooks until the beginning of the meeting.

Proposal Deadline

The Board of Game is now issuing an annual Call for Proposals rather than a separate a Call for each meeting. The proposal deadline for the 2012/2013 meeting cycle will be May 1, 2012. For every year thereafter, the proposal deadline will be May 1st. For those years when May 1st occurs on a weekend, the proposal deadline will be set for the Friday preceding that weekend.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

one of the fastest ways to get help with a prop... is to visit your Local AC who will give you the correct AAC to write it under and give you some advice as to HOW to write on, and discuss with you the merits of the Prop... one of the things that should be considered is that a ton of Props are written by the public that often duplicate others, and take up board time and resorce, while many others DO not make sence to the board and are over looked on that merit alone.

being from Salcha, the Fairbanks AC has several members that are very good at this process and ALL would be willing to assist you.

AAC= Alaska Administrative code.. Regulation adopted by board...

FIRST step to writing a prop is making sure the prop is under AAC and not AS ( Alaska Statute.)Law, that takes legisltative action to change
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

from what mr.strahan said in another place and mr.richardes said most likly a waste of affort. Because the people making the laws don't listen to people in the public. mostly guides control them.
    connie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I'm sure some on here have written some proposals. I have not, but would like to. Any pointers, tips etc? It looks like you can do it online, and looks straight forward,but I know that wording, and stuff like that matters with stuff like this. PM me if you have any pointers or ideas what the board looks for in a well written proposal! Thanks

Good information! I appreciate it. I have spoken to one Fairbanks area F&G biologist, who liked my idea, so I guess that is a good start. Vince you have any contact names for the Fairbanks AC?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I would make sure to take all parts of the proposal very seriously, especially the section regarding "who will benefit" and "who will this hurt". One of the big things that will turn people against your proposal, no matter how valid it is, would be if you blatently ignored a group. Far too many proposals get submitted with a generic "everyone" or "nobody" fitted in to those when actually there is some positive or negative impact clearly visible to specific groups. That's not always a bad thing, but glossing over it doesn't help people when evaluating your support for the change. The more professional you can make it sound, the more seriously it will be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Good information! I appreciate it. I have spoken to one Fairbanks area F&G biologist, who liked my idea, so I guess that is a good start. Vince you have any contact names for the Fairbanks AC?
    Ray, or AL would both be great starts... if they are not able, i would be willing to sit down with you and get you pointed in the right direction also.. There is a meeting on the 4th with all the area AC, and Fairbanks AC holds their regular meeting on the 8th.. at Alpine Lodge. You could also bring it up at a sub committee meeting

there has been a big turnover a the AC this year with a lot of new members, so i dont know who is avalible at the moment

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by caribouconnie1964 View Post
    from what mr.strahan said in another place and mr.richardes said most likly a waste of affort. Because the people making the laws don't listen to people in the public. mostly guides control them.
    connie
    You have really swallowed the BHA stuff hook, line, and sinker. You are far from the truth!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You have really swallowed the BHA stuff hook, line, and sinker. You are far from the truth!
    Somehow, I doubt Mr. Strahan is a BHA member, but I wouldn't know. Regardless; what does it have to do with the OP's question?

Yellowknife's advice was excellent. Rep sent.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

we are soory if we upset you with our post. it is just they both do so much good work and w hope to goin the BHA group.
    again we are sorry.
    connie
    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    AAC= Alaska Administrative code.. Regulation adopted by board...

FIRST step to writing a prop is making sure the prop is under AAC and not AS ( Alaska Statute.)Law, that takes legisltative action to change
    I agree with you Vince.

As for proposal writing strategy; consider the following.
    Proposals 45 and proposal 118 were successful and they more or less restate the AAC that is to be modified and then indicate how the AAC would read (noting all deletions and additions). Note: Proposal 45 was written by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Proposal 118 was written by the Greater Alaska Black Bear Committee and they state the following in their proposal, “This proposal consists of several consensus items from a black bear resource users’ group held at the March 2011 Board of game meeting. All of these suggestions were approved by ALL members of the group. We have not included any items or suggestions that were not approved by all members of the group.”

The writing style for proposals 88 and 137 is a bit different in that they do not indicate (word for word) how the AAC would be modified (word for word). Proposal 88 asks for signiifcant changes to “5 AAC Season and Bag limits” but does not specifically address the proposed language changes within 5 AAC. Proposal 5 gets a little more specific by referencing 5 AAC 85.055 but also does not specifically address the proposed language changes to the AAC document.

Here's a link to 5 AAC 85.055
    http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section055.htm