Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Glutton?

Default Trophy Glutton?

I wrote this early on another thread:

I do have a question in mind that I hope will lead to a discussion (not an argument) and that is, does anyone ever buy into the cliche, of too much of a good thing...

I am not saying I don't agree with what Mr. Gilliland440 accomplished for the year rather it seems that a great deal of his success was had with multiple hunting partners and family (something I look forward to in the future). I also admit to having year/s where I killed much more than a person probably ought to (food, experience, entertainment, etc.). It's just that I read and learn a great deal on this site, and sometimes people are taking a half dozen to a dozen animals a year. Again, no judgment at all, a person should make their own decisions based on their own or their families' needs and desires.

This topic has been bouncing around in my head for a while and I figured I would go ahead and see if I could get other hunters' opinions, so is there such a thing as a trophy glutton? And if so, what would be your definition?

These same folks could just as likely get nothing the next three or more seasons. Opportunity is opportunity, whether it is hunting or employment, seizing the opportunity when it is presented is key. Heck a car wreck could leave you in a wheelchair tomorrow might as well spend every bit of time available doing what you love while you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    These same folks could just as likely get nothing the next three or more seasons. Opportunity is opportunity, whether it is hunting or employment, seizing the opportunity when it is presented is key. Heck a car wreck could leave you in a wheelchair tomorrow might as well spend every bit of time available doing what you love while you can do it!

Yeah I hear ya, but most guys he is talking about do it year after year and plan tons of hunts. I have yet to shoot a bull moose, and been almost 4 years since I shot my last cow. Now with a good amount of caribou in my freezer I am looking forward to spring bear, as I am about out of that and bear makes caribou or moose last longer. Now some animals like deer and sheep maybe goat you don't get nearly as much meat off once boned. So can see a guy hunting each of those species in a year, but along with moose and caribou don't seem right. Some guys feed a lot people, which is great. But still a bit of gluttony in my eyes, trophy hunters. Which is fine too. I am not, not judging anyone, just agreeing with the OP's thoughts.

I am on opportunistic hunter, first legal animal dies and I go about my ways! Mix in halibut and salmon and I have not bought meat in years! Occasionally I used to buy some chicken thighs for something different but been years since I done that too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    maybe you could equate the same thinking to sheep hunting .... NA>... that might affect a few people, rather then do whats best for many more....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hmm, too much hunting? Uh yeah, no. Ultimately it comes down to a question we each have to answer for ourselves. I don't think its fair for any of us to answer this question for someone else.

Speaking for myself, I am nowhere near to getting enough. The more I get, the more I want.

Then again, I have seen a few guys that I thought might be over the line. When I have hunted so much that I no longer enjoy the experience even if nothing dies or when I fail to respect the precious life that has been taken, then I will know I've gone over.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by nomeite64 View Post

I do have a question in mind that I hope will lead to a discussion (not an argument) and that is, does anyone ever buy into the cliche, of too much of a good thing...

I am not saying I don't agree with what Mr. Gilliland440 accomplished for the year rather it seems that a great deal of his success was had with multiple hunting partners and family (something I look forward to in the future). I also admit to having year/s where I killed much more than a person probably ought to (food, experience, entertainment, etc.). It's just that I read and learn a great deal on this site, and sometimes people are taking a half dozen to a dozen animals a year. Again, no judgment at all, a person should make their own decisions based on their own or their families' needs and desires.

This topic has been bouncing around in my head for a while and I figured I would go ahead and see if I could get other hunters' opinions, so is there such a thing as a trophy glutton? And if so, what would be your definition?
    I had to go watch the video after reading this post... all i can really say that if seeing a few dead critters taken by a group of guys that obviously GOT OUT this year.. is gluttony...

WELLLLLLLL... you prolly should delete me from your viewing list of readable folks...

the way my kids hunt and take down game each year... someone is SURE to come along and write a proposal to the Board of Game to Make Vince's Kids Draw only... so they can make up for their own inadequacies in the field..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

from what i could tell of Gilliland 440 awesome video and hunting season is he is a highly motivated hunter that did these hunts with family and friends in the true spirit of fair chase! Looks to me like an avid hunter who worked his butt off and pulled off a remarkable season! Hat's off to him and his friends! On the subject of gluttony, i would suggest going after the J.B., G.R., S.W., etc. of the world that BUY up all the gluttony and market it all over the airwaves to their own self indulged ego's! that's my definition of trophy glutton! Congrats again Gill!!!................YOU GOTTA TAKE EM WHILE THEIR THERE!

Well if a guy has the means, method and opportunity...why not?

Some years you do well and some years you don't...but:
    I've noticed a trend on here over the last few years- the guys consistently harvesting multiple animals and species every year are guys who spend a lot of time in the field, not one year or two...but year after year after year. Guys who eat, live and breathe hunting...I'm not jealous- I wanna be one of them! If a guy was taking more than he could use and letting it waste Id have an issue, but as a rule most of these guys are feeding multiple families with the harvest. I did real well this year and gave away a lot and I've eaten some "pity meat" in the past as well- golden rule, karma, whatever you wanna call it applies.

These guys are simply getting more out of it because they are putting more into it. Hunt harder...you'll get over it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I propose this thread be changed to Trophy Jealously...if only I could be as fortunate until then I have dreams. However good health an awesome family and friends and an occasional successful hunt I still feel blessed and someday I hope that have a year like his.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Well if a guy has the means, method and opportunity...why not?

Some years you do well and some years you don't...but:
    I've noticed a trend on here over the last few years- the guys consistently harvesting multiple animals and species every year are guys who spend a lot of time in the field, not one year or two...but year after year after year. Guys who eat, live and breathe hunting...I'm not jealous- I wanna be one of them! If a guy was taking more than he could use and letting it waste Id have an issue, but as a rule most of these guys are feeding multiple families with the harvest. I did real well this year and gave away a lot and I've eaten some "pity meat" in the past as well- golden rule, karma, whatever you wanna call it applies.

These guys are simply getting more out of it because they are putting more into it. Hunt harder...you'll get over it.
    Yeah the OP was bit off on his wording. I watched the vid. Lots of other hunters involved. But I stick to what I said earlier, guys year after year going after lots of animals, who knows maybe they share too, but they are more interested in bragging I guess? I too share and have taken meat from a buddy, but helped butcher his two moose, so I took what was givin and enjoyed every bit of it! Even took his bear meat, he didn't care for it, that was 76# of awesome meat, shot my own that year too, but like stated earlier, bear is good filler meat inbetween fall hunts. Hell he was lucky enough to shoot two moose in one year, plenty to go around for a single guy at the time. Yes it was all legal since the reg year is june/ july.

Do you think the guy in the vid kept that dark king? Not supposed to pull kings from water.

I only try to plan hunts for what I can use within my family. If I am blessed to have more then I have friends who would partake in my successes. I think one big factor not mentioned above is time. Some people simply have more time to be in the field as others may only have a short window of opportunity and have to plan wisely for it. But, if I had the time I would try to plan as much as possible for simply not being able to do it one of these days. Life is short, capitalize on the time you have for one day it will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I had to go watch the video after reading this post... all i can really say that if seeing a few dead critters taken by a group of guys that obviously GOT OUT this year.. is gluttony...

WELLLLLLLL... you prolly should delete me from your viewing list of readable folks...

the way my kids hunt and take down game each year... someone is SURE to come along and write a proposal to the Board of Game to Make Vince's Kids Draw only... so they can make up for their own inadequacies in the field..
    Sir, please don't misunderstand my point of discussion. I tried, maybe failed, to state I don't disagree with the successful hunter. I don't know his background, history or anything of the sort. Maybe he has had tough years, as other implied and I don't know his specific circumstances. So I would be ignorant and wrong to judge and I am not doing that. In fact with all of the shared memories with family and friends (minor assumption on my part) I would say more power to the individual. I simply wanted to get some folks opinion on if there is such thing as too much. Or rather what others might feel is too much.

And as far as your and your families successes, congratulations to you as well. You and yours have proven hard work and experience means a great deal.

I hope this discussion doesn't lead to personal attacks. I'm not mad, envious or trying to call anyone out. I know I (and most) have plenty to learn and experience, but rather just wanted to get some view points from other experienced hunters.

any body who shoots more game in a season than I do is automatically a rich jerk who pays way to much for a hair cut, and will, of course, naturally annoy me. LOL not really.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

First off THANK YOU ALL for the support!

I have put in my time here in Alaska. I have hunted sheep for four years and this was my first. The moose was my second in the seven years I have hunted moose. I passed on a BIG bou looking for a monster but after look at most of my friends trophies ... should have pulled the trigger... it was the first bou I saw so I had nothing to compare it to.

It was an extremely lucky year for me. The shot on the sheep at 680 was more luck than skill with the 10+ mph cross wind factored in and the fact that I had never fired my gun at a target beyond 500 before. I used my wind speed guess & rangefinder then estimated beyond what my B&C reticule showed. The moose which we were stalking were jumped by passing quads and then ran into an opening while we were up a tree trying to spot them again and we made bullets connect at near 300 yds.

As for the meat. The sheep and goat were gone all too fast! The 2 moose were split 7 ways and we have put a good dent in our share already. My wife dislikes blacktail so I passed that on to grateful coworkers except the backstraps, my wife didn't even know

My primary goals for this year are a bison and my first wolf. If anyone on or near the road system is looking for a rookie wolf hunting partner for late winter snowmobile hunting PM me. Have HRC & sled... will travel!

Thanks again everyone,
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    any body who shoots more game in a season than I do is automatically a rich jerk who pays way to much for a hair cut, and will, of course, naturally annoy me. LOL not really.
    my wife cuts mine .. lol

I think it just depends on the person. Because of work I tend to be limited to a bunch of small trips and a few big trips per year. If I could hunt more I would. I quite frankly think the discussion of if other people hunt too much is inapropriate and begs the previous comment:

"I propose this thread be changed to Trophy Jealously"

If the person can continue to hunt legally under the hunting laws then one of two things needs to happen...we need to change the laws if appropriate or we need to mind our own business. I've been blessed enough to enjoy international hunting. I'm not allowed to return with the meat, so it must stay there. I always make sure it is either used by me in camp, the camp staff, or used by local comunities. That's important to me. If I hunt here aside from regard for the law I always make sure the meat is utilized in a timely manor. I've shot moose the last two years and there's no way I can eat them myself. I gave away 3/4 of my moose to friends, family, and co-workers last year. This year I gave half to friends and family. I try to have regard for my own limits of personal consumption and weigh that factor with my interest in hunting. As long as someone else is using the meat apropriately and they are within the law I'll chose to mind my own business.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    I always make sure it is either used by me in camp, the camp staff, or used by local comunities. That's important to me. If I hunt here aside from regard for the law I always make sure the meat is utilized in a timely manor. I've shot moose the last two years and there's no way I can eat them myself. I gave away 3/4 of my moose to friends, family, and co-workers last year. This year I gave half to friends and family. I try to have regard for my own limits of personal consumption and weigh that factor with my interest in hunting. As long as someone else is using the meat apropriately and they are within the law I'll chose to mind my own business.

Brett
    just my .02$ i dont think it matters so long as the hunter is taking the game legaly, and using all the meat. Ever hear that that 10% of hunters (and fisherman) take 90% of the game? Any chance i could shake hands with you gill so i could get some of that magic? Hunt on brother, hunt on!

As someone who was in on 21 different big game animals taken this fall I have to say that it really depends on your point of view. Mr. Gilland hit it WAY hard this year and has a lot of very fine speciemens this year that anyone would be proud to have on the wall and in the freezer. However, there were multiple parties involved and many different people taking part in many different hunts and the meat was likely distributed accordingly. Likewise of the 21 animals I took or watch fall, those animals were split up and went to 5 different households and the largest animals were large caribou. No moose. You'd be surprised how much of the smaller big game critters one can eat through per household when thats what you eat exclusively. Nothing wrong with hunting a ton....or atleast I hope. I love helping other bag game as much or more than myself and if I am in need of meat sure I'll take a share of their animal as its always understood that we split the take, but more often than not I just go along as pack mule and enjoy the hunt and being out.

+1 for his wife cutting his hair
    +1 for his wife allowing him to hunt
    -1 she doesn't like blacktail!!??!!
    +1 he tricked her into eating it anyway
    ----
    +2 For Mr. Gilland! Wish you more success in the years to come!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Reminds me of a time I was at a restaurant and this guy ordered a pizza. Halfway through the pizza another guy (with apparent curiosity) asked ... are you going to eat that?

...Again, no judgment at all, a person should make their own decisions based on their own or their families' needs and desires.
    Why should the decisions be based on their own families' needs and desires? How about friends, or those that are unable to hunt or were unsuccessful?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast