Thread: Lake Loberg in Wasilla

Default Lake Loberg in Wasilla

I live about a mile from this lake, and fish it in the summer and do decent from shore, getting a few every trip, nothing special, but still 8" - 12" fish. In the winter though, I can't get a bite. I went out again today for 5 hours, drilled 6 holes from around 20' deep all the way down to about 6' deep. Never got a bite. I know there are fish there, I'm just not finding them. Does anyone fish this place? I know most everyone here likes the larger bodies of water and/or more remote lakes, but I just have a car, no snowmobile, no 4 wheel drive, and I'm relitively new to Alaska. I'm pretty limited where I can go, and Loberg is very convient as it's just over 1 mile from my place. Anyone have any tips on this lake? Any depth I should try to target? I've been jigging small spoons (sweedish pimple, kastmasters) and have done very well with it in some of the Anchorage lakes. Just looking for any info to help me get on some fish here. Thanks Everyone!

I fish there alot in the summer and winter with my kids, its an easy place to pick up fish for the kids, they get bored fishing the bigger lakes where a hits can be few and far between.

Single egg on and about 6 feet down does the trick.

A single egg about 6 feet down sounds like it would work in the summer, but in the winter? Also how deep is the water under the 6 ft egg? I may have to resort to this, but I'm hoping to get them on artificial lures, as eggs are expensive, messy, and stink I'll try again there tomorrow, I guess, maybe try some different areas

one of the key units in ice fishing is a good real time fish finder it will tell you if there is fish an at what depth

SId

I have float tubed this lake many times and have done really well where the lilly pads are on the right far end. I have also fished this lake in the winter and have done faily well. I have punched holes aprox 50 feet from the launch. It is about 6-8 feet of water. You can see bottom and can see fish strike. I have also done really well to the right where that light pole is. That entire side has a drop off from the bank that I like to fish. I have seen many fish hug the drop off as they swim by and catch a few on their way. Try in front of that light pole aprox 15 feet from the bank. You can see bottom (if in a hut) and see the drop off. Have the hole a few feet below the drop off. It is a little deeper there. I use cocktail shrimp. That has caught many fish at this lake. Drop a few into the hole to attract some fish and jig a shrimp every so often as well. Good luck.

Maybe gulp or even a small piece of cheese. Seemed to work in other small holes of water when everything else failed, also early freeze up would in my opinion be better.

BTW why do grubs cost 3 times more in AK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpokey View Post
    A single egg about 6 feet down sounds like it would work in the summer, but in the winter? Also how deep is the water under the 6 ft egg? I may have to resort to this, but I'm hoping to get them on artificial lures, as eggs are expensive, messy, and stink I'll try again there tomorrow, I guess, maybe try some different areas
    Eggs are probably the No 1 bait for trout fishing on ice. But here is a little tip, get a regular snell hook, and get a can or night crawlers, and pinch one into 3rds and put a piece of that on the hook (I slide the hook all the way through the body and leave a little big of a tail) and add 1 egg to the end of the hook ,so just a eensy big of the barb is showing. Kills um
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Well I stopped by Walmart tonight and bought some Berkley Power Bait Power Eggs. Ill give that a try Monday. Someone else mentioned fishing just off the Electric Pole thing. Oddly enough, thats where I fished. I started pretty deep, I didn't have a depthfinder as I'm fishing on a budget, but I'd guess somewhere around 20 - 30 feet deep, then moved closer to shore to around 15 feet deep, then around 10 feet deep, and lastly about 30 feet off of the Electric pole, around 6- 10 feet deep. The last hole, the shallowest one, I did start snagging grass and other vegetation, which I figured was probally a good sign. Also are there and decent fish in that lake? Something over around 15 inches? I checked the stocking info, and it looks like the biggest fish stocked in since 1996 was only about 6 ounces. Thanks Again Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpokey View Post
    Also are there and decent fish in that lake? Something over around 15 inches? I checked the stocking info, and it looks like the biggest fish stocked in since 1996 was only about 6 ounces. Thanks Again Everyone.
    No,

head over to finger when wind blown you can drive a sedan on the ice. Set one rod up with bait and jig a 2" kroc on another.

Fished Loberg for a short amount of time on Staurday evening, and just want to say, whoever the dillwad who left his twenty or thirty smoked up Camel Menthol cigarette butts all over the ice by your holes in front of the tower, SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!! Pick up your trash you lazy arse!!!!!!! What a dam pig!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Fished Loberg for a short amount of time on Staurday evening, and just want to say, whoever the dillwad who left his twenty or thirty smoked up Camel Menthol cigarette butts all over the ice by your holes in front of the tower, SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!! Pick up your trash you lazy arse!!!!!!! What a dam pig!!!!!!!!

Arent thems biodegradable? Well maybe he thought the eagles would eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Arent thems biodegradable? Well maybe he thought the eagles would eat them.
    Really Yoda? Really??

What brand do you smoke?

Evidently, the Camel menthol smoker fishes at Canoe as well. Saw more evidence of his/her trash there this weekend too. What a slob! I live in Wasilla too, but this person truly validates and owns the term Valley Trash.

Evidently, the Camel menthol smoker fishes at Canoe as well. Saw more evidence of his/her trash there this weekend too. What a slob! I live in Wasilla too, but this person truly validates and owns the term Valley Trash.
    yuk, nothing like some nasty slob to ruin it for taking the kids out.
    Semper Fi!

Dam right!!! You pack it in!!! You pack it out!!!... "fishon"

"Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"