Thread: Any experience with talon Air service??

Default Any experience with talon Air service??

After seeing his booth at the sportsman show I have been thinking about doing a carabou hunt with Talon Air. Thier prices look pretty good. Any experience with this outfit, they are based out of soldotna I think.

Default Talon

Used to fly w/them for caribou every year when they did the resident meat hunt for $750-. Then thier prices jumped to $1500- and haven't gone since. They did a good job for us though, no complaints.
    What are they getting now for a caribou hunt?
    BK

I also used them a couple of times when they had the cheap fly-outs. One year we dropped 18 caribou (4 of us) and when they came to pick us up, everything wouldnt fit in the beaver. They re-routed a 2nd plane (no extra charge) to help fly our stuff back to soldotna.

They spent extra time flying around to find the herd and put us approximately a days worth of time ahead of them and it worked out perfectly.

A big bonus also is that they have the otter (or atleast used to), plus they have an unwritten agreement with High air adventure to help each other out if need be. Nice little safety harness right there.

Good company, wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

Default The Otter

Allen still has the Otter, only it has a turbine in it now.

buddy flew with them several years back for moose and really like their service.
    with the current condition of the mulchatna herd, i'd get on the phone with as many references they have and ask how long, when, how many and what dates, write those dats on a calender and see what time frame you didn't get a reference for and you'll know when the hunters didn't do so hot.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Talon Air

I would use him again for sure. In 1993 I had him drop my Dad, brother and I off at a lake in unit 19 for a moose hunt. On the return trip to get us he hauled a Beaver load of lumber in for a friend of mine who had property near there for no extra cost. Good Service.

Default Mulchatna Bou

You might want to think twice about hunting the mulchantna herd. It has dropped from about 235,000 animals to about 80,000 which is dispersed over a large area. The bull/cow ratio is very bad and a trophy bull is rare. Dont think its worth $1500 dollars for a cow bou. I talked to Rusts Flying service today and they are still flying people into the herd from anchorage. I would not hunt the herd cause its in trouble, cost alot and has a low success rate. Just my opinion.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post

They spent extra time flying around to find the herd and put us approximately a days worth of time ahead of them and it worked out perfectly.

This seems like it puts them over the line between guide and transporter. What do you guides think? BRWNBR, how about you?

Isn't this a practice they're trying to put a stop to, transporters acting like guides?

well the regs say spotting specific game form the air is unethical...not sure how that applies to a pile of caribou, i guess it would depend on the guy interpeting it, but i guess it would be no differnt than a transporter motoring up to a deer on the beach and letting the guy hammer from the bow of the boat? or spotting deer from the boat and taking them to shore...technically i think its legal to do that as a transporter as long as they don't accompany you in the field, and i think that only applies to the ground.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212