Thread: Win 70 stainless 375 returns once again

Default Win 70 stainless 375 returns once again

Annnounced at this years Shot Show:
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...42&family=001C

Great news! The laminated stock will add some weight but that isn't all bad with a .375 H&H. The plastic stocks they orginally used could stand improvement.

Wonder if a .458 Lott is in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Annnounced at this years Shot Show:
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...42&family=001C
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Always glad to see new rifles in the works, but I can't say that this "new" 375 catches my eye. A 25" barrel? 9 pounds of gun weight, before scope and mounts? In a Lott that might make sense, but IMO that's a lot of gun weight in an H&H. It's probably a decent rifle, but I'd much rather have a pair of 375 Ruger rifles for about the same money... It looks to need 6-700$ worth of upgrades (not including a scope) to make it a first rate hunting rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The laminate stock probably weighs over 40oz, which is far too heavy. I'd be curious if the barrel contour is the same on the discontinued classic stainless 375 H&H from the New Haven plant, and that barrel was too beefy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The laminate stock probably weighs over 40oz, which is far too heavy.
    Like you Matt, I'd figure at least 40 and likely 42-6 oz. Should be a simple matter to cut 10-12 oz with a quality handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd be curious if the barrel contour is the same on the discontinued classic stainless 375 H&H from the New Haven plant, and that barrel was too beefy.
    I figure another 3-5 oz are easily trimmed by shortening the tube and can't see a reason to want more than 22 inches. Ideally I'd probably go 21" and since the barrel would be off I'd AI the chamber--for the weight savings of course. All of this costs money and IME it's easier (and it wouldn't cost more) to start from scratch and the end product will be superior...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

That grey laminate with the cheekpiece just doesn't do a thing for me. As mentioned- 9lbs without scope, sling or mounts is just too much....That thing will go well over 10lbs all up and ready to hunt.

Ruger Alaskan at 1/2 the price and (dear God, I'm saying this about a Ruger)....less weight, trimmed barrel and indentical ballistics looks like a bargain. Its not nearly as refined but I can do a lot to a Ruger for that kind of cash- including live with it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hhhhmmmmm...I don't understand what they were going for with this design. It's called the "Alaskan." I wonder how many Alaskans they asked about the design. I don't mind the looks of the laminate stock but I would have gone synthetic. And no more than a 24" barrel. Come to think of it, I would have just made the Extreme Weather available in .375, eliminating the barrel flutes and adding good open sights. But that would be too easy. Also, why does the Safari Express have a shorter barrel than the Alaskan? And one more thing, if you think 9 pounds is too much for a .375, consider that this model is also offered in .30-06! I think this one is a miss. I can't understand where gun companies come up with their designs sometimes. I guess that's why the custom market is thriving.

The actual ultimate Alaskan is also coming back. SC Model 70 Featherweight classic style 264 WM in 24 inch barrel for 7lbs 4oz. This might be one of the ultimate sheep killers. The Jack O'Connor model 70 edition in 270 Win is also a pretty sweet rig. Both are classics and incredible sheep guns maybe they are outdated now but they sure worked in the 60s.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

What makes it cost so much? There is no 1" MOA guarantee, the barrel is a factory normal old SS just like all the other manufacturers. Is there a super special trigger? The stock is pretty common, maybe the checkering is extra. I don't see the value either. I agree with getting a 375 ruger, they were actually made for AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    What makes it cost so much? .
    I think the nostalgia costs extra...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

What a shame they did not take the opportunity to profile that rifle on the pre 64 barrel! Instead they have used a truck axle for the barrel and that goes for the Safari Express as well.......thats why they weigh so much......

I have a Remmie stock in gray laminate, it is rather pretty, much nicer than the original plastic. When I get my barreled action back I'll take a photo.
    I do not know how it compares with Winchester, but it should be similar. It IS a photograph after all. I bet it looks much nicer in the hands.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...