Thread: spotlight hunting

Default spotlight hunting

dear my fellow pred hunters,

just yesterday i whent out calling, it was like -25 out. i had just bought a new primos 2,000,000 candle light spotlight. three seconds after i took it out of the truck, i tried to fire it up and it woudnt light. it was fully charged. i guess my question is, what are some of the spotlights that you guys have used and succsesfully put together a succseful night hunt? wich ones work good in the cold? any recomendations, espesialy from you experienced guys, would be gladly appriciated. also how much do these spotlights cost?
    thanks, JOEFISH
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Joe, there are a couple posts by snowcamoman that cover this. The best seems to be the higher end led tactical lights but they aren't usually cheap. I plan to go with one of the Fenix brand 600+ lumen torches.

Current state-of-the art lithium-ion batteries deliver the best low temperature performance among rechargeable batteries (-40). But they are not great, hard to charge, fail often. Car dealers are finding this out now winter don't like electric cars. Best idea I have seen, get a belt mounted battery carry next to your body under coat, run a wire to light. You can even wire in a plug so you are not wired to the lamp all the time.

I have tried several lights in the past including the Primos spotlight. I have found that the Cyclops Sirius works well for me. It is small, bright (300 lumens), and comes with a red lens. It is not a long range light by any means with the red lens installed, 100 yards max. I have hunted in -45, and have had no problems with the light. Sportsmans sells them for about $60.00. There are some small issues with the light...the red lens falls off easily so I tape it on, and the trigger tends to stick. hope this helps

AKRedarrow, have you tried going without the filter? More than a few folks up here are reporting back that it doesn't seem to help and may actually hurt by not being as bright.

LuJon, Sorry it took so long to reply I was out of the area. I can use the light with the filter on out to about 75yards for a vital shot to the body. Anything beyond that I have to shoot between the eyes. I use a .17 HMR so it doesn't do to much damage, but it makes it difficult to skin the head out sometimes. I can see eyes from about 150 yards out; hope the call, and decoy work and bring them in closer. If they hang up and just sit out there i will take off the filter and use the light to make the shot. Have you herd of anyone using the laser genetics sub zero's up here? I have friends back east that swear by them. They tell me they can shoot 300+yards.