Thread: What to fish for in january?

Default What to fish for in january?

My grandpa is up here and he wants to take a road trip tomorrow, prolly go to seward or whittier.

My first question is, can you even make it there in a ford focus (dad just got one today!!)? and is there to much snow to get down to the beaches and fish?

Is there anything to fish for off the bank? this might very well be grandpas last trip up here so we would like to get him some fish, but a charter is out of the question. he has health issues so a 10 mile hike wouldn't work either. if there are places to stop and wet a line for 20 minutes or so till we get cold, that would be good.

And, if there is any fish there, what would I use to fish for them? I got little spoons, spinners, big spoons and spinners, a few jigs, pretty much regular weekender salmon and trout fishing gear.

Anything would be good. even some dollys or something
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Given the current high winds and blizzard-like conditions around PWS coupled with a record snow load, I can't imagine that you'll find any shore-based fishing in that area.

Probably better to pick out a nice stocked lake from the F&G map with drive up access and go cut a hole.

Your Focus will get there just fine if the roads are clear. The status of the roads can change hour to hour in our current weather pattern.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Given the current high winds and blizzard-like conditions around PWS coupled with a record snow load, I can't imagine that you'll find any shore-based fishing in that area.

Probably better to pick out a nice stocked lake from the F&G map with drive up access and go cut a hole.

Your Focus will get there just fine if the roads are clear. The status of the roads can change hour to hour in our current weather pattern.
    I concur. I am in Seward right now, down for the polar bear jump and I woke up to snow. And still snowing, so I would recommend not heading south today. Ice fishing might be your best bet today.

Good luck.
    Tony

Thanks guys. Moms car broke down and she took the focus to anchorage this morning to take my sis to the air port, and me and pops spent most of the day working on the car.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.