Thread: Wolf Lure

Default Wolf Lure

Hi guys!
    We are about to have our first Wolf trapping season for Minnesota in many years. Of course, there is the usual chatter about Wolf traps and Wolf scent.
    To go straight to the place where it is done, I am here. What is the best Wolf trap and Wolf scent to use? Any help will be appreciated.
    David

snares....snares...and more snares!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

I think we will have some issues with snares in Minnesota. first of all the wonderful government here makes us check snares every day. Second, There will have to be a change in loop diameter and snare height. In our Lynx zone, we probably won't even be able to use them. So it looks like foot holds...foot holds...and more foot holds. And we have to check the foot holds every day unless it is a drowning set. Soooo, there it is.
    David

I think the MB750 wolfer is a good starting trap for around $40. The best is going to be the #9 Brawn, but at $120 they are very limiting. Since it doesn't sound like you can run snares I would make a burried bait set. Dig about a 3' hole and fill it up with butchered bones or a deer hide. If you have skunks in your area get one of those toss it into the hole, no joke. Put branches over the top of the bait so there is an air pocket still. then burry it back up with dirt. Create about a 3" whole going to the bait. The fresh torn up dirt and smell will really bring the animals in. I would put two traps on the set. One 15-20" in front offset about 4-6" to one side and then another on a natural trail behind the set. They will circle the bait first.

The skunky smell really doesn't work on wolves in AK since we don't have skunks. I have some buddies in Idaho that run cat lines that also use Gusto on there line and are always dealing with wolves coming into there sets.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I think the MB750 wolfer is a good starting trap for around $40. The best is going to be the #9 Brawn, but at $120 they are very limiting. Since it doesn't sound like you can run snares I would make a burried bait set. Dig about a 3' hole and fill it up with butchered bones or a deer hide. If you have skunks in your area get one of those toss it into the hole, no joke. Put branches over the top of the bait so there is an air pocket still. then burry it back up with dirt. Create about a 3" whole going to the bait. The fresh torn up dirt and smell will really bring the animals in. I would put two traps on the set. One 15-20" in front offset about 4-6" to one side and then another on a natural trail behind the set. They will circle the bait first.

The skunky smell really doesn't work on wolves in AK since we don't have skunks. I have some buddies in Idaho that run cat lines that also use Gusto on there line and are always dealing with wolves coming into there sets.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your reply. It sounds very probable and I'll try it. We don't know when the season will start so I would probably have to dig the hole early because of possible freeze ups.
    David

have u looked into the #9 alaskan? spendy but worth it if u can find them..way better than the 750....
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Look for older traps at garage sales, flea markets, estate sales and such for 114 Newhouse, 49 Newhouse and such. A lot of times these things can be picked up for a song because most folks don't know what they have.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by rawdogrichard View Post
    have u looked into the #9 alaskan? spendy but worth it if u can find them..way better than the 750....
    Are the #9 Alaskan available? It was my understanding they were made in Fairbanks. Nobody in the lower 48 states sells them as far as I know. Unless you are talking about the Bridger Brawn.
    David

Yes they are available they are made by Al Barrett in Fairbanks he owns a tannery here give him a call 907-452-6047 last I knew they are made to order to it may take a bit

i bought 4 foot traps from Fleet Farm for trapping Coyotes so far i have only got a crow and a coon in my traps but they do hold good. and i am looking forward to our MN wolf hunt i might sign up for it. best of luck to you david. where in MN are you?

Quote Originally Posted by msdixon06 View Post
    i bought 4 foot traps from Fleet Farm for trapping Coyotes so far i have only got a crow and a coon in my traps but they do hold good. and i am looking forward to our MN wolf hunt i might sign up for it. best of luck to you david. where in MN are you?
    Aitkin, how about you?
    David

Believe it or not I've caught wolves with dog pee..I shoveled up his and hers (in heat cycle) pee stains in the snow into a plastic bucket and placed the snow on a likely pee-post. If you're really dedicated you can use the anal gland goo/secretions and mix it with the pee....stinky! good luck, and don't skimp on cheap traps, I'd rather have a couple #9's than a bunch of the cheap ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sitkaspruce View Post
    Believe it or not I've caught wolves with dog pee..I shoveled up his and hers (in heat cycle) pee stains in the snow into a plastic bucket and placed the snow on a likely pee-post. If you're really dedicated you can use the anal gland goo/secretions and mix it with the pee....stinky! good luck, and don't skimp on cheap traps, I'd rather have a couple #9's than a bunch of the cheap ones.
    I can believe it. People down here use house cat scat trapping Bobcats. A dog is a dog and a cat is a cat. I would think the dog pea would be just fine if not great.
    David

One of the beauties of the Alaskan #9 is how well they come up out of the snow. I dont know what kind of conditions you have in that part of MN, but MB750's are one heck of a lot of trap. They have caught MANY wolves and wolverines in Alaska and they are less than 1/3 the cost of Alaskan #9's. That would be a no brainer to me. Especially since your in Minnesota and the MB's are local to you.

Those are really your two options in currently produced traps, except maybe the Sleepy Creeks 4 1/2 or maybe 5. I hear good things about the SC's. I wouldnt pee on a bridger #5 if it was on fire. Unless i was catching coyotes or lynx with it and thats all I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I would put two traps on the set. One 15-20" in front offset about 4-6" to one side and then another on a natural trail behind the set. They will circle the bait first.
    Most of what TM said I agree with but, I would generally disagree with setting that close to the bait. If you want to catch wolves, you dont want to catch fox, ravens, etc. That will ruin the set.

I am not a wolf expert but most of those who are would say to set at least 10-20 feet or more away from the bait to avoid the non target catches. ...let the wolves hit the site and establish access trails, or set in all of the possible entrances prior to being hit.

The Alaska trappers Association has a terrific wolf trapping manual, that you can order off of their website. It is well worth the 40 bucks or whatever...

Fur Fish & Game had an article recently (last issue or two) on wolf trapping with a northern flair. Back when it was legal there my dad only used snares for them north of Ely.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

i am looking forward to this wolf hunt if it goes threw. David im down in St. Micheal way far from you.
    ok can you use Dog pee for getting a coyote to come in? sorry i know thats a topic change but figure i would ask.

thanks
    Shari

i forgot to say i have had 2 coons and 1 skunk in my traps. oh i really hope to NEVER get a skunk again for how cute and soft they are i just dont like the smell they leave when you shoot them ha ha ick.

Quote Originally Posted by msdixon06 View Post
    i am looking forward to this wolf hunt if it goes threw. David im down in St. Micheal way far from you.
    ok can you use Dog pee for getting a coyote to come in? sorry i know thats a topic change but figure i would ask.

thanks
    Shari
    A dog is a dog and a cat is a cat. I think any pee would work. I caught a bunch of Mink one year when I got my urine bottles mixed up and used Fox urine. It worked just fine.
    David

There really is no "wolf lure" that wolfers really use. I am guessing where you are the MB750's will work, but but where I trap in Alaska they really are an inferior wolf trap. I use the #9's and and 114's I can get. I am sure you will catch some in dirt hole sets, but with the amount of fox and coyote you probably have, you may have to hope for the wolves to find the trap first. There are a few wolf gland lures on the market that will work. Most wolves here are caught in snares on kills and then trail sets and urine sets. Good luck.