Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezer Hunt! Success!...

Default Freezer Hunt! Success!...

So this morning the wifey tells me to get something out of the freezer for dinner. I go to the freezer, open the door, hmmmm, moose steaks, moose breakfast sausage (two flavors), moose burger, red salmon, king salmon, a chicken, blueberriesblueberriesblueberries, cranberriescranberries.... dig dig dig...hmm, what's this.....the sharpie scratchings on the package are mine..... DS BS 2010.... WHAT!!!!!! DALL SHEEP BACKSTRAP FROM 2010!! SCORE!! I don't know how that got overlooked but I'm glad it did! We came off the mtn sheepless last year.

I'm sitting here in the afterglow with a belly full of sheep and that wonderful, rich, sheep fat coating that fills your mouth dreaming of sheep season 2012... ahh.... TMA tag next month......ahh....40's.....double rammywhammy.....high fives.... heavy packs.... clear skies.... plenty of water....sweat...pain....challenge...overcome....a dventure...sheep sizzling on a stick over the fire..... you know what I'm talkin about. If not, you need to go sheep hunting.

I love Alaska....

Anyone else have any stories of "Treasures from the freezer"?

peace
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

So, I was mentally checking off the items in the freezer: deer not moose, sockeye "check" , king "check", Blueberries "check", sheep backstrap! aaarg no! I will make it happen, I will make it happen, I will...

Talk about a trophy! Makes that bad taste of tag soup from last year go away, and essentially cleanses the palette for the up coming drawing! Very nice. The surprise harvest are always fun...especially when not expected. I have Elk, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Halibut, Yellow Eye, Reds, and Kings in mine...hope to add Goat, Moose, Caribou, more Black Bear and Bison later this year.

AZinAK

Lucky you gots Sheep in the Freezer!! Mmmmmmmmmm!!!

I have 5 caribou on my meatrack and 3/4ths a Muskox in my storm shed, feezers been off since sept Full of Berries and Salmon, Geese...Your right, "TREASURE!!" I'll be having Goose soon, now they are on my mind, 'cause of this post ....~~LOL!!~~ The good parta AOD

Rock on Snyd!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

We are Very Blessed this year... Black Bear2011,Moose2010, Caribou2011, Sheep2011, Goat2011, Deer2011, Musk Ox2012.. salmon and Shee Fish... some shared with me.. much provided by my children..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Man nothing in my freezer... Just pizza and burritos.

Stranger a pizza is a italian dish pretty tasty...

Hey, no one mentioned the "ice cubes" for the Scotch and soda.LOL

I can't wait for this year's sheep hunt!! Had moose lumpia tonight...I've got most every other animal/fish in there but no sheep. Good post Snyd
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

We just moved up to the valley so I had to take everything out of the freezer to load/unload it for the trip up here. I found 3 pheasants I'd forgotten all about and 2 packages of but cheeks. Pheasant jumbalaya here I come with some but cheek appetizers. Gonna be a good lunch tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    We are Very Blessed this year... Black Bear2011,Moose2010, Caribou2011, Sheep2011, Goat2011, Deer2011, Musk Ox2012.. salmon and Shee Fish... some shared with me.. much provided by my children..
    How is this possible? So many on this forum have told me that Alaska is a barren wasteland void of animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Dang Vince, that's great! I shoulda been diggin around in your freezer!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Sounds like I need to raid my freezer for tomorrow nights dinner! Black-tail Deer, Black bear, Moose, Caribou, White-tail Deer, Grouse, Halibut, King Salmon and Red Salmon...and pizza 323!! Maybe I can make a buffet style dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Pheasant jumbalaya here I come with some but cheek appetizers. Gonna be a good lunch tomorrow!
    Could you further explain the appatizers? Im likin' the Pheasent Junmbalya allrighty
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default rotating frozen food

Great job freezer-divin'. Wonderful reward.

I'm made sure to never buy the largest freezer, because I know we'll lose things there. Instead I buy always new (way cheaper on the MEA bill) small freezers, but get a few of them. I see the bottom of every single freezer at least once per year, more usually twice. I don't know any other way to keep things rotated right (yeah, I know, dumb method, but it works).

Two freezers full of moose, deer, wild boar, king salmon, catfish, white bass, pheasant and quail, all from 2011. By Sept, all will be gone except for the moose. That should last two years. I can't imagine living in Alaska. I'd have to buy another freezer for sure.

Lets see off the top of my head in the freezers :
    Moose - Burger, steaks, chorizo, Italian sausage, cabbage sausage, breakfast sausage, roasts, back-strap, tenderloins, corned, jalapeno cheddar dogs, summer sausage,
    Chickens - home raised - packaged whole, wings, thighs, drumsticks, & skinless breast meat
    Fish - Halibut, rock fish, ling cod, red & king salmon
    PWS Shrimp (starting to get low)
    Smoked salmon bellies
    Blueberries
    Zucchini & carrots from the garden

I went to dig through my freezer after reading this and I came away pretty disappointed. I am almost out of game already, which is good and bad, good because it means I have been eating a lot it, bad because it's almost gone. A moose and a goat isn't enough, I guess I will have to do more hunting next year.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Could you further explain the appatizers? Im likin' the Pheasent Junmbalya allrighty

Cut them into about 1" squares, soak in hot sauce for a few hours, wrap in bacon, grill. Try to keep dogs, neighbors, and the occasional spouse from drooling on the floor.

If you wanna church it up, you can add a small cut piece of asparagus on top of the cheek before you wrap with bacon. (That's about as fancy as I get. I don't like to be too far removed from "Meat vs. Fire.")

I'm down to a deer rear quarter and about 50 lbs of moose breakfast and italian sausage. It wasn't a good year for me and I had to buy a beef..which fills the rest of the freezer. Oh yeah, 8lbs of halibut left

I found a bison tenderloin at the bottom of the freezer a few weeks ago,That's ok Doug on the halibut that's 8 more pounds then I have Hope to change that this spring!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast