Thread: Burris Spotting Scopes

Default Burris Spotting Scopes

Hi All,

I pretty much never post, but I read quite a bit on here. I finally have a question that my buddies can't answer and I would like to ask u guys.

Has anyone used/touched/broke/recommended a Burris XTS 2575 Spotting scope? I can't find anyone in town that sells em, but online they run around $225-$250 and have great reviews!! I'm highly considering one for my sheep hunt this year. I know, I know, don't skimp on optics, blah blah blah, but honestly, if the ram is a hammer, you'll know with bino's, right?

When I saw my goat I passed up a 500 yd shot, all I had was my binos and I knew it was a good billy from there! Is sheep hunting way different? Should I just bite the bullet and spend double to pick up a nikon or leupold?

Any help would be great...thanks,
    Dan
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I don't own one but I was able to use one at the range that another shooter had. He really liked it and the size was great. The only problem I had with it was at the higher powers it had to be perfectly steady and the focus was extrememly touchy. If you found the spot where it would focus and you accidentally nudged it, it would take you a while to get it back. I had my vortex 20-60x60 there and found that the image was much more clear and bright than the burris was. Like I said though, the owner really liked it and maybe after you use it for a while you get used to the adjustments and how touchy it is.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Thanks MT...things like that really help when you're trying to buy something without seeing it first. How is your Vortex? Model, price, have you had it out in the rain on a hunt?

The guy that owns Steve's Outdoor Adventures owns one and he swears by it. He takes in mountain hunting instead of lugging a full size scope. I am getting one soon. They are way lighter too.

Yup...only weigh 33Oz...Are you talking about the TV show? I don't really trust a lot of those shows, they always have a guide, best gear, probably get dropped off on top of the mountain, I mean look at the guy!! haha....in all seriousness though, the guy probably gets paid to say he loves it, I want to hear from a real person that has used this thing on a hunt (or second hand heard from a buddy). That is when you know a product is great or crap. I'll tell you about some 86 hr rain storms on the side of a mountain that test out a tent and rain jacket (or supposedly waterproof POS jacket!)

Quote Originally Posted by HILL View Post
    Hi All,

When I saw my goat I passed up a 500 yd shot, all I had was my binos and I knew it was a good billy from there! Is sheep hunting way different? Should I just bite the bullet and spend double to pick up a nikon or leupold?

Any help would be great...thanks,
    Dan
    Yeah, sheep hunting is different for two reasons. Good glass can save A LOT of walking if you can determine from 2 miles that the ram is 7/8th. Good glass can also tell you if that big dude with wide flaring horns has the last 1" it needs to break full curl. That can be REALLY tough and fuzzy optics are beyond irritating at that point.

I started with my dads cheap Bushnell spotter. Upgraded to a Nikon XL II. Then a Minox ED 62. This year I'm taking a Zeiss 85 T*FL. I'm just a young guy trying to raise a family, so I guess that tells you the weight I place on good glass during sheep hunting.

That said, I've never used the Burris, so can't really tell you how it is quality wise. I can sell you a Minox though.

Yk

Can't speak to your question. I just got a Swaro STS80 with 20x60. My ram last year and that of my friends had rings counted. Quality glass is beyond helpful. I bought a Swift spotter a few years ago. It will end up in a high mountain cache on a deer hill.

Thanks bighorse...I guess its like everything else (mostly) you get what you pay for!! Unless I hear something in the next few weeks I guess I'll open up my budget some and expand out to the $500 range.

I have the Vortex Nomad 20-60x60. It weighs 36 oz, and is 14 inches long. I like it a lot and have never had a problem with it. I have compared it side by side to a leupold gold ring I couldn't tell a difference other than the voretex isn't compact like the gold ring was and I spent 1/2 the money (around $300 for the scope). It has been through all the elements including a swim. I have used the higher priced stuff before and while I agree it is great equipment, I don't believe it is an extra $2000+ great. Don't get me wrong, I would buy a Swaro or Leica if I could find one that was used and still good but there is no way I would spend 2500-3000 for one. I will gladly walk the little bit of extra distance for that amount of money.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Just got a burris scope for christmas. Don't think it's that model though. Haven't had it out in the weather yet, but out at the range it's lovely.

I had a burris and got rid of it. Unimpressed, especially for an eyeglass wear.

If money were no object, Burris would not be on the list.
    If I were looking in the low to mid price range, I would watch for a deal on something used as long as I could wait. Then buy a Vortex.

Check cameraland.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I'm pretty sure none of Burris' spotting scopes are made in the USA (their riflescopes are made about a mile from where I work). I don't think I'd trust a Chinese made scope. I'm also looking to upgrade my spotter eventually within a reasonable price. I'm leaning toward a Vortex. They seem to have a lot going for them for the price. I've never heard anything bad about them either.

Also, for sheep hunting a good spotter is VITAL. With goat hunting, any adult billy is legal but with sheep hunting fractions of an inch could determine the difference between a legal or illegal ram. That in combination with the fact that you'll be looking through mirage and/or weather means you need every optical advantage you can get. Not to mention the spotter will save you a lot of walking UPHILL!

Quote Originally Posted by HILL View Post
    Yup...only weigh 33Oz...Are you talking about the TV show? I don't really trust a lot of those shows, they always have a guide, best gear, probably get dropped off on top of the mountain, I mean look at the guy!! haha....in all seriousness though, the guy probably gets paid to say he loves it, I want to hear from a real person that has used this thing on a hunt (or second hand heard from a buddy). That is when you know a product is great or crap. I'll tell you about some 86 hr rain storms on the side of a mountain that test out a tent and rain jacket (or supposedly waterproof POS jacket!)
    Well, since I know the guy personally I think I can trust him. Sorry you are so jaded, and congrats for being the world renowned expert. I'm sure nobody has as much experience as you do, in your world.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    with sheep hunting fractions of an inch could determine the difference between a legal or illegal ram. That in combination with the fact that you'll be looking through mirage and/or weather means you need every optical advantage you can get. Not to mention the spotter will save you a lot of walking UPHILL!
    Quote Originally Posted by MT_SLDR View Post
    I will gladly walk the little bit of extra distance for that amount of money.
    The above 2 statements would seem to represent the 2 major ideas when buying a scope. How much walking are you willing to do, compared to how much money are you willing to spend?
    Good luck on the hunt, Hill.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I had a chance today to chat with someone who works at the Burris plant here in Greeley. He confirmed that all of their spotters are foreign made. Just wanted to follow up with that info, in case that influences your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    Well, since I know the guy personally I think I can trust him. Sorry you are so jaded, and congrats for being the world renowned expert. I'm sure nobody has as much experience as you do, in your world.
    Didn't know you were drinkin buddies...definately not an expert or I wouldn't be asking a stupid question about a spotting scope on an internet forum! Not jaded...just brutally honest--I will probably be putting in 12-15 miles a day for 9-14 days, does your friend do that or does he hop out of a plane on the side of a mountain with sheep 2.5 miles away? Not demeaning his accomplishments or his abilities as a hunter...If had the resources I'd get dropped off on top w a guide too!!

When you hike in, and you are no **** out in the field for 12 days doin 10 mi a day with rain falling for the majority of the time, you will find out what gear is good and what is crap. I'm not talking about sitting in your tent waiting for the storm to pass either, get out and go bc you paid too much money to wait for the weather.

It was a simple statement...I said nothing negative about him, just that he probably gets paid to say Burris rocks, it is def in his contract that he endorse them, that's why they give him free stuff! My question was not aimed at a guy that gets paid to hunt with gear that is given to him to "field test" and endorse based on a contractual obligation. I'm on a forum to talk to guys that can't afford a $3k scope and have used cheap alternatives with great results! Or in some cases....bad results, haha.

Thanks for YOUR personal experience though

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I had a chance today to chat with someone who works at the Burris plant here in Greeley. He confirmed that all of their spotters are foreign made. Just wanted to follow up with that info, in case that influences your decision.
    Yes I def knew that they were foreign made...that doesn't necessarily factor into my decision, hell I bought a Tikka T3....I plan on purchasing Lowa boots with my tax return money...quality is quality, if I ran around hard core and only purchased made in the USA gear I wouldn't be able to put together everything needed for a successful hunt!

Thanks hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The above 2 statements would seem to represent the 2 major ideas when buying a scope. How much walking are you willing to do, compared to how much money are you willing to spend?
    Good luck on the hunt, Hill.
    I'm somewhat young still...walking doesn't bother me, either does packing it out! The feeling of tired, beat up accomplishment is the best feeling in the world. The more abused my body feels the better I feel!!

Thanks martentrapper...I half-way know that I'm gonna push myself to the limits and then push ALOT more.

Not an endorsement, but camofire has a good price on a nikon spotter right now (01-23-2012 21:48) for anyone interested.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.