Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rage Expandables- Whats your take

Question Rage Expandables- Whats your take

With the new regulations allowing mechanical broad heads on all big game, I have a question. Personally, I have used Rage Expandables on deer, and fox. I have seen a red fox almost cut in half. The deer that have been shot by me and my family have had large entry and exit holes allowing for a good blood trail.

Before I go shooting a brown bear with a rage, I wanted to ask if anyone has had any problems with them in the past? I know some mechanical broad heads have malfunctioned. It's even happend to me. I'm asking specifically about RAGE broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    With the new regulations allowing mechanical broad heads on all big game, I have a question. Personally, I have used Rage Expandables on deer, and fox. I have seen a red fox almost cut in half. The deer that have been shot by me and my family have had large entry and exit holes allowing for a good blood trail.

Before I go shooting a brown bear with a rage, I wanted to ask if anyone has had any problems with them in the past? I know some mechanical broad heads have malfunctioned. It's even happend to me. I'm asking specifically about RAGE broadheads.
    For starters, some of the mechanicals have been allowed on some big game? Do the Rage broadheads meet the Alaska mechanical broadhead requirements?

Yes they do. When the blades are deployed they can sweep forward past the 90 degree point making them non barbed. I am not a fan of mechanicals as I have seen to many that have failed.

If you watch the Rage open up in the header on their website there is no point it is not barbed. http://ragebroadheads.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If you watch the Rage open up in the header on their website there is no point it is not barbed. http://ragebroadheads.com/
    You have to hold one in your hand that is already open. Push the back side of the blade and it willl pivot forward to almost 30 degrees. The video only shows the blade opening not how it moves once open. I don't like them either.

Cool enough. I have no real issues with mechanicals, but I do understand Alaska's desire to not allow "barbed" broadheads.

Its like throwing in axe through an animal! lol...i've had good results with them though. Good bloodtrails.

I have found with my quiver they are TERRIBLE to keep closed if you are walking a long ways.

Then you see something to draw on & you are always checking to make sure the blades are all locked down or you will be throwing a one finned rocket.

I think the hype about them is over rated, With Muzzies or the old Satalites I never had a problem with the blades or blood trailing, PROVIDING it was a good shot in the first place.

RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Cool enough. I have no real issues with mechanicals, but I do understand Alaska's desire to not allow "barbed" broadheads.
    The lack of the barbed affect allows the animal to more easily remove the arrow on poorly placed shots.

as for mechanicals....... too many parts. The also require a certain amount of energy to open and expand properly. If some unknowing person does not know his bows energy level at all yardages, then the chance of broad-head failure is a possibility.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

After have limited success with a couple other mechanical broadheads in crossbow use, i switched over my elderly hunting buddy to a two blade Rage, and it has been a game changer! i enjoyed so much the fact that i no longer had to blood trail all night, that i switched my wife and myself over to them as well. We have over 30 whitetail kills with them, and i have not seen a single instance of the blades failing to deploy! We only lost one deer since the change, and that was mostly weather related! Are they superior to a well tuned bow shooting a fixed blade cut on contact head????????? Maybe so, probably not; but i know they leave a massive blood trail and devastating wound channel that is head and shoulders above the old fixed blade insert heads!

With the new regulations allowing mechanical broad heads on all big game, I have a question. .
    I can't find where it says the rules changed to allow mechanical on all big game. What am I missing here? I know there were proposals, did they get approved?

Yes, it sounds like a proposal allowing mechanicals for all game species passed the BOG.

Watch that bowhunting movie with Jack B-----am, cant remember his name or if I can even say it legally here but I believe he shoots a moose and a huge griz with expandables and they do the job well.
    Finally glad they changed that reg. Technology now adays far exceeds that of 10-20 years ago.

I was just hunting in Ohio for deer and one of the owners of the farm had a deer tracking dog. He is state known for finding wounded deer and his dog Zeus is an animal. He said was talking about tracking a deer the day before the gun season and said in reference to Rage - "Of all the animals I have to track that are wounded, Rage broadheads result in 50% or more."

His reasoning - not that is a bad broadhead it is just that folks let marketing influence the taking of a good shot versus a marginal shot. Made sense.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I think expandables in the right hands can be like anything a great tool for bowhunting. I in a way think this is a bad idea for moose and definately brown bear. At least with fixed blades most people realize the need to tune them or at the very least sight in with them, the problem with expandables is that they were introduced as a broadhead that shoots the same as a field point which is not always the case especially at longer distances..Im sure experienced archers no matter what will have great success using them but my concerns are with the ones that go to the range sight in a couple times with field points screw on thier expandables and start hunting.The other thing is not all expandables are created equil, some are terrible on quartering shots and there is also as daveinthebush pointed out there a lot of parts and they do need a certain amount of energy to work properly, you also need to keep them clean as I have seen expandables that were rusted shut and wouldnt open(yes I know most of the blades are stainless or sonething similar but the parts that hold them together are not, newer ones may be different not sure). As far as rage are concerned I have heard good things on them from friends in the archery world but that was on deer sized animals I will be curious to see how they preform on 1500 pound critters or the critters that get angry when there is an arrow sticking out of thier butt.
    Dave

I have talked to many about expandables, particularly the Rage broadhead, as it seems to be in the spotlight. Having bowhunted since 85', and used 1 for deer on one occasion, they are OK, but as many said, pre-mature opening has caused a significant issue from what I am hearing from others. While at the last trip to the Pope and Young convention, many expressed their dismay about this issue and cost them many trophies. Either the arrow went no where close because of pre-mature opening, or their was a wounded animal lost. Those that killed with them did so just as a regular fixed blade. IMO, ethically, you should be shooting a tuned bow. One that is compatible with your correct arrow spine, weight and fixed broadhead. My last harvest was my Unimak Brown Bear with a Magnus 4 blade Buzzcut 125g broadhead. They have served me well.

I have shot alot of big game with rage broadheads.They leave a huge hole without a doubt.At least on a broadside or slightly quartering hit...However I quit useing them after I had two hits on lrg whitetails end in the same way.I shot both bucks quartering away at 25 yards or a bit less. Both times the arrow struck on the last rib and sliced along the entire rib cage.On one the arrow stuck under the shoulder blade about two inches, and the other went under the front leg and came out the brisket. Niether penatrated the rib cage.One deer I killed with a second shot. The other I tracked down the next day and my wife killed it with the rifle. Stay with a fixed blade.Its a fact that rage have trouble on quartering game. Ive never hit a deer quarteing or anything els that a fixed blade didnt penatrate.If you do get a good solid hit with a rage the wound is devistating,but I can take the chance.

I quit using the rage after I shot a deer from above and one blade hit heavy bone before the other blade. This caused the broadhead to break where the threads and ferrul meet. Maybe that is why they came out with the titanium one.

Last year, i shot a 5pt elk in Arizona and had the same problem some of the rest of you had. It hit the other side of the rib cage, and stopped. Then as the bull ran, the blades retracted and didnt do a whole lot of damage. We got the bull, but I watched him just lay there for an hour before he finally expired. However, I shot a Javelina 2 weeks ago and got the biggest entrance hole Ive ever seen in my life. I just wouldnt use them on big animals. Im headed up to hunt Caribou with my bow in August and definitely wont be shooting a rage. I think I will go with the Montec.

Fixed blade and one piece constructed broadheads are proven. Why go with something that has a higher percentage of failure just to achieve the same end result?

Fact of the matter, it doesn't matter what kind of a fixed bladed broadhead you use, if it's properly placed the animal will go down fast. With 18 years of bowhunting experience, I'll stick to what gives me the best reliability and chance for success and that's a fixed bladed head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast