Thread: Anyone get drawn for the 14A RM415 "Hotspot" hunt?

Default Anyone get drawn for the 14A RM415 "Hotspot" hunt?

My brother and I put in for this hunt and I'm curious if anyone has been given a permit. With all the snow the moose are stacking in the area seems like the time to let us shot them before they're road kill.

no way man....I'm on the road kill list!!

if your on the road kill list you can't get in the hotspot? I applied too, I'm gonna call F&G tomorrow and see if they have done anything yet.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I know of 2 moose harvested last week as a result of the hotspot hunt.

Thanks for the responses, seems like with all the news about moose roadkill at crisis levels this hunt is a good tool and put into place at just the right time, I guess I'll just wait and see if I get a permit.

How Do you apply for this draw like a normal draw. Or is there is some other way

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    How Do you apply for this draw like a normal draw. Or is there is some other way
    The details are in the hunting regs. When it is listed for a particular area, it will have the details of when to apply. It is not done through the normal drawing permit process.

Where will it be listed. On the the registration hunt page of fish and games website?

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    Where will it be listed. On the the registration hunt page of fish and games website?
    As I mentioned above, they are listed in the hunting regs. They are found here (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s_complete.pdf). Just do a search once the file is open for "hot-spot".

A friend from work got the call a few weeks ago (21 Jan)...he was fifth on the list and while he was out he ran into another guy who was number eight on the list.

It didn't go down like I had expected..."Hey! Get out here now and get this moose!" He was called and was given several days to find a cow without a calf on a farm down off of KGB rd.

From what I've been reading in the newspaper this hunt was canceled, the state figured it was better to spend $1 million plus, to relocate 10 moose rather than have hunters harvest them for free. Look it up in the Frontiersman and ADN before you reply. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentScope View Post
    From what I've been reading in the newspaper this hunt was canceled, the state figured it was better to spend $1 million plus, to relocate 10 moose rather than have hunters harvest them for free. Look it up in the Frontiersman and ADN before you reply. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Moose Federation program covers all of unit 14 (Anchorage is included in that). The hotspot hunt is for unit 14A only and has already been put to use (see previous posts). The Moose Federation program only runs from Feb 28-March 31, the hopspot hunt does not have a set timeline but will be called on when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentScope View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I hope you are......$1 mill for 10 moose...???!!! You have GOT to be kidding me....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I hope you are......$1 mill for 10 moose...???!!! You have GOT to be kidding me....
    In their defense, it is estimated at around $1 million to get the program going, which includes pretty much all of the capital costs for all of the equipment. They got the 10 animal number only because that is a guess at how many they think they will likely relocate this year. Now that they have spent the money on all the equipment, the proportional cost for each additional animal in the future will come down drastically with only the operational costs to cover.

Is this grant money?

I'm just going off what the article said 1 mil. 10 moose moved and that they, "Must be released where the average snow depth is less than 30 inches at least five miles from a primary road, highway or rail line, and in an area where there is no hunting for at least 45 days after the release." Where do they plan on taking them? Arizona? I just think people need to stop using government like mommys purse, if the AMF is such a good non-profit then they should have no problem raising funds through the public, and government needs to stay out of the charity buisness. I digress, it just seemed like such a perfect year for this hunt, I would have been more than happy to have taken one of those, "Nusance Moose" back in December before someone ran it over, and now the states buying hunting rigs for some Federation. I planned on going on foot, slapping on my snow shoes if need be, hauling out fresh meat on a sled, I even bought a slug gun just for this hunt, whatever it's gone to crap now at taxpayers expence.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/02/28/234180...#storylink=cpynd the moose must be "

My son and I each drew permits and killed a cow each in the last 3 weeks. Found a definite spot worth looking at come fall as well.
    Paul