Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .475 Linebaugh or .50 WE?

Default .475 Linebaugh or .50 WE?

If you were going to order a Freedom Arm revolver which of these two would you pick? Why?
    Am not very knowledgeable about these rounds and never had the opportunity to shoot them.

I'm not familar with the .50WE or the .475 really, but I do shoot the .475's little brother-the .480 Ruger. I like the .480 a lot and a 'smith I know offered to ream the chambers and make it a .475. To my mind there's not much to gain and a 400 grain boolit going 1200fps is stiff enough for me. I believe the .475 pushes that 400 grain boolit close to 1400fps, on paper anyway.

Okay, just found my Hodgon manual, the .50WE pushes a 400 gr boolit up past 1550fps and will take heavier boolits too.

Randy, I'd still get the .475 because it's at the limit of what I want to shoot. As they say, ymmv.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

475, but that's because I have .475" bullet molds and have cast for and shot thousands of rounds through my 480. If/when I order a 6" octagon FA 83 it'll be a dual cylinder 480/475. Honestly I'll unlikely use the 475 cylinder as 400 gr @ 1200 fps is the limit of recoil I can handle in a revolver. And in cases where I need more terminal performance, I'll grab a rifle.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The other very viable option is to get a good deal on a used 454 and send it to Huntington and have it bored to a 500jrh.

http://www.jrhgunmaker.com/

"The caliber is available on the M-83 Freedom Arms 454-475 guns converted to this caliber for $475.00 with a banded barell....

...Cylinders are line bored, counter bored and either click ratchet (on the 500 JRH, 475 small rim, 454 Casull and 45 colt) or free wheeling on all cylinders which include 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 475 small rim, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh, 500 JRH, 475 Maximum, 500 Maximum and the 50 AE.
    The 50 on a Freedom is here, let the games begin........"
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I prefer the fact that the JRH has a rim, but that's just me. If trying to choose between the .50 cals, the JRH would be the obvious choice for me. Given the choice between the .475 and the .500 WE, I would opt for the .475. The caliber is a killer, but there are a lot more components available for it (not necessarily bullets), but the brass has been out there for some time, and factory ammo is available from Buffalo Bore, Grizzly, and Hornady, while only Grizzly manufactures ammo for the proprietary WE. In a pinch you can use .480 ammo in the .475 as well. I sold my .475 but fully intend to have another built some time in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    The other very viable option is to get a good deal on a used 454 and send it to Huntington and have it bored to a 500jrh.

http://www.jrhgunmaker.com/

"The caliber is available on the M-83 Freedom Arms 454-475 guns converted to this caliber for $475.00 with a banded barell....

...Cylinders are line bored, counter bored and either click ratchet (on the 500 JRH, 475 small rim, 454 Casull and 45 colt) or free wheeling on all cylinders which include 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 475 small rim, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh, 500 JRH, 475 Maximum, 500 Maximum and the 50 AE.
    The 50 on a Freedom is here, let the games begin........"
    Snyd, those are old prices and that website hasn't been active for a long time. A new site is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Snyd, those are old prices and that website hasn't been active for a long time. A new site is in the works.
    Thanks for the heads up there and your input on this thread. I know that you and a couple other guys around here have hands on experience with these calibers.

Funny, I was thinking of starting a thread regarding ".4XX vs .5XX" and what the real world differences are in terms of shootability, accuracy, load/boolit flexibility, sensitivity to barrel length and of course performance on game. And, for the sake of this conversation limit it to cartridges that will fit in the FA revolvers.

It may just be a case of buying the one that trips your trigger! But, it's always fun to hear guys reasonings behind what they buy. Besides that, it's still 30 below and dark here in the far north and cabin fever is setting in!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I haven't noticed a signifigant difference in shootability between the two linebaughs, you put in a heavy bullet and max dose of powder and it'll get your attention. Back off the powder charge and they just feel like a big 44.

Part of me thinks bigger is always better so that weighs in the 50 camp, but unfortunately the caliber never quite got standardizes, you have 50 ae, 500 JRH, 50 WE, 500 S&W, 500 Linebaugh and .500" and .512" bullets. Who's to say in the future which one will have legs and hence which one will have brass easily available.

With the 475 Linebaugh you have a single bullet dia and case, and if worse comes to worse you can form them from 45-70. The 440 @ 1200-1300 fps has effectively taken all big game world wide.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

I agree with Paul and 338-06, the 480 is all I need or want to use regularly. Look at the Linebaugh experience with penetration and I think you will agree, anything over 40 inches is a waste. Plus the 480is much easier on the shooter. Jim

50 is such a nice round number, Iíd go with one of the 50s myself.

As far as recoil larger diameter will push same weight at same speed with less of it. It takes less pressure to push bigger diameter because there is a larger surface for the pressure to act on, less pressure is less recoil.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Interesting comments. Since I already own a couple of S&W 500's would most likely go with the .475 Linebaugh. Thanks for the input and keep the discussion going
    Just need to find the right revolver at the right price.

At this point I'm thinkin since I already have 454/45 Colts and if I'm gonna spend the money, I may as well get the largest caliber I can get in the 83. For some reason I've got the itch for a Fifty...

What do you guys think of octagon barrels? Are they purely cosmetic? I think this one would do

Donít know but suspect that octagon would make it balance a tad better and change recoil curve a tad for the better.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    50 is such a nice round number, Iíd go with one of the 50s myself.

As far as recoil larger diameter will push same weight at same speed with less of it. It takes less pressure to push bigger diameter because there is a larger surface for the pressure to act on, less pressure is less recoil.

True, but I think you're going to find that at least with the 475 and 500 linebaugh, that pushing the same weight bullet the same velocity, you're going to be within a grain or so of powder, hence it isn't a signifigant effect. And if you want to compare apples/apples, the 50 cal should require a heavier bullet to achieve the same amount of penetration. To me they really are in the same ball park. With max loads and 400-450 gr bullets, they are absolute beasts to hold onto and it takes a tremendous amount of practice to master them at full tilt. Also extended use of such loads has lead to to physical harm of shooters, i.e. damage to their wrists.

But again, you don't have to push them that hard to get deep penetration.

.476" 460 gr wfn gc cast from ww's and water quenched. In a 7 1/2" SRH 480 with ~19gr of H-110 it'll clock 1100 fps (max load, work up) I sent a box of these bullets to a guy in the lower 48 several years ago. He went to the Linebaugh summer seminar with his 480 and loaded them to 1100 fps (not sure of his powder charge) Bullet on left went through 38" of wet newsprint. Bullet on right went through 2+" of bone and ~11" of newsprint.

That load was within 10% of the penetration of the best 454, 475 and 500 loads, and better than many. Yet recoil is very manageable.

You don't have to beat the heck out of your hands to get a heavy cast bullet that will penetrate deep. But you do have to place them accurately to kill game. That load in my 480 will put 5 shots into 1" at 50yds, thus disproving the popular sentiment that WFN's have to be pushed 1300 fps to produce accuracy. The same guy that tested them at the Linebaugh seminar also did long range testing. He said at about 175 yds the bullets started to get unstable and hence accuracy went south. So for extended range shooting I'd go with a 400 gr LFN.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Donít know but suspect that octagon would make it balance a tad better and change recoil curve a tad for the better.

Yup, and they look awesome!

For me the 475 Linebaugh had more of an appeal than any of the other big bores. I liked the ballistics, and it can be loaded up or down to taste.

The load above is excellent, that is exactly what I do with 325g flat nose that I cast, 1100fps, and I can shoot it all day without suffering.

That will be a personal preference decision, but the 475 is better . Heh ha

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    True, but I think you're going to find that at least with the 475 and 500 linebaugh, that pushing the same weight bullet the same velocity, you're going to be within a grain or so of powder, hence it isn't a signifigant effect. And if you want to compare apples/apples, the 50 cal should require a heavier bullet to achieve the same amount of penetration. To me they really are in the same ball park. With max loads and 400-450 gr bullets, they are absolute beasts to hold onto and it takes a tremendous amount of practice to master them at full tilt. Also extended use of such loads has lead to to physical harm of shooters, i.e. damage to their wrists.

But again, you don't have to push them that hard to get deep penetration.

.476" 460 gr wfn gc cast from ww's and water quenched. In a 7 1/2" SRH 480 with ~19gr of H-110 it'll clock 1100 fps (max load, work up) I sent a box of these bullets to a guy in the lower 48 several years ago. He went to the Linebaugh summer seminar with his 480 and loaded them to 1100 fps (not sure of his powder charge) Bullet on left went through 38" of wet newsprint. Bullet on right went through 2+" of bone and ~11" of newsprint.

That load was within 10% of the penetration of the best 454, 475 and 500 loads, and better than many. Yet recoil is very manageable.

You don't have to beat the heck out of your hands to get a heavy cast bullet that will penetrate deep. But you do have to place them accurately to kill game. That load in my 480 will put 5 shots into 1" at 50yds, thus disproving the popular sentiment that WFN's have to be pushed 1300 fps to produce accuracy. The same guy that tested them at the Linebaugh seminar also did long range testing. He said at about 175 yds the bullets started to get unstable and hence accuracy went south. So for extended range shooting I'd go with a 400 gr LFN.
    I agree completely with your easement of penetration, just saying that you can load the 50s down to 475 levels of recoil and still have a very effective round while having the ability to go big when you want to. All in what a guy wants to do with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

So the obvious answer here is to get the appropriate cartridge in the proper gun! That means a guy needs a custom built Linebaugh in a .475L AND an FA 83 500WE

Well, I'm of the opinion that either is going to kill something just as dead as the other. That being the case, get whichever one you want. If you don't, you'll just be trying to figure out how to get the one you really wanted later. It probably won't matter a bit which you choose, once you've gotten brass and molds for them, and it isn't like anything you shoot with them is going to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    So the obvious answer here is to get the appropriate cartridge in the proper gun! That means a guy needs a custom built Linebaugh in a .475L AND an FA 83 500WE
    Yes, why limit yourself? It's only money - LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast