Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike on fly

Default Pike on fly

I would imagine one will need intermediate line to get fly deep for pike? What do you guys think? Any of the lakes north of Anchorage are particularly good for pike?

Unless the pike are in the shallows feeding on the surface...then its mice skating time! A weighted fly and some stripping will also do the trick.

I tie "baby pike" for the hottest action. Spring I like them floating, with deer body hair heads and yak hair bodies tied long so the head floats and the yak body streams behind. Weedless is a bonus when they're tight. Later in the summer I just tie them without the deer body hair for flotation, but still weedless. My fishing is at or just under the surface because I like it that way, so it's floating line all the way.

Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Soo cool . Pike was a top of the food chain predator in Poland where I used to fish with my dad. Memories.....Any of you hit that 40 inch. yet?

Yeah, but it was a lot easier to do long ago. Heck, the place I got my biggest (53") in 1976 doesn't even have hammer handles these days.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I went with a friend last year just after ice off. We fished streamers with floating line and caught quite a few fish - but none of them were very big. I think everything was 20-28 inches. From what I gather there are not a whole lot of pike fisheries that are accessible from the road system near anchorage. Might find a couple of pike near eagle river and nancy lakes area, but I don't think they are hot spots.

pretty fish. I used to catch some in VT but again nothing huge. I figured AK would be a place to have a shot for trophy fish

Quote Originally Posted by mikezm View Post
    I figured AK would be a place to have a shot for trophy fish
    It is, but you won't drive to them. You have to get out to places where people aren't yarding them out of the water as fast as they can. Bristol Bay had some really big fish back in the 70's, but as fast as the lodges and float companies have developed, the big pike have disappeared.

44 incher was my biggest... caught on a 5 wt. rod, floating line, and an impromptu "fly" tied with a chunk of moose hair tied in ball with dental floss. I passed a steel leader through the "mouse" and put a big single hook out the back It wasn't pretty, but it caught fish. My buddy was catching them dragging an unweighted spin and glow across the surface. Doesn't take much to catch them.

This was off a side slough of the Tokotna River downstream from Tokotna in the 90's. I bet there are still big fish there because it's very tough to get there, much less boat there.

Good looking video, this one is pretty good as well. Maybe better since there are less naked euro's

i'm just getting all geared up for pike fishing. we are fortunate to have great pike fishing in this region and lots of fish close to 40 inches although i always seem to catch the ones about a few inches under. this is the first year i'll be trying it on the fly because the spinning rod is pretty easy. Just from what i know of pike most feed in the shallows around here in the sloughs off the river which are never very deep anyways. I would imagine unless you're fishing a deep lake floating line would be great. The water stays so cold up here that i don't think they ever head into deeper water until it freezes. we do fine with topwater baits such as zera spooks, mice, and any other floaters. I'm sure the same would hold true for flies. I just ordered some 8wt sharks skin from scientific anglers so i'm interested to see how that works out and planning on holding it with a ross vexis. should be a pike getter. I'll make a post a soon as i try this rig out. If you go north and west of anchorage about 550 miles there is some partucularly good pike fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    That was a great vid. I suddenly miss fly fishing for pike.

I use floating line with about a 4ft leader. And my go to fly is a a simple leech pattern tied in a 2/0 or 3/0 medium shank hook with tail being 2 black maribou with the body being black cactus chinelle. Occasionally I add lead wraps.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    I use floating line with about a 4ft leader. And my go to fly is a a simple leech pattern tied in a 2/0 or 3/0 medium shank hook with tail being 2 black maribou with the body being black cactus chinelle. Occasionally I add lead wraps.
    Floating line for me too. My most productive flies are big weighted bunny leeches.
    Like this one.

My personal best pike came last spring on this fly.
    This wee little 45 incher!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    That was a great vid. I suddenly miss fly fishing for pike.
    Yeah, me too!

I know what im doing as soon as the ice melts!

Anyone caught a PIKE in the KENAI yet?

nice fly picture drifter and great looking pike...i can't wait till the ice melts up here....in june.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    nice fly picture drifter and great looking pike...i can't wait till the ice melts up here....in june.
    Thanks!!!
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to ice out in June too.
    There's a lake I have been ice fishing for 2 years now that I want to take me zodiac into.
    I almost always get fish over 40" in there so some open water fly fishing is definately in order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast