Thread: Reels?

Default Reels?

I'm gonna drop the cash on a rod and reel soon. The rod choice seems like a no-brainer, but I don't know what to do about a reel. I've always used a closed-face reel (Zebco 33 Classic) back home and am curious why they're not used up here- is it a manly/pride thing? When I asked a guy at a booth today at the Sportmen's Show that was his answer. So I'm going to get an spincaster or baitcaster and don't know which direction to go. I tried a baitcaster once and it did not work out well, but am open to learning it again. I don't want to spend half the season swearing at my rats nest of a reel, though. I've used a spincaster a couple times and can't say I was fond of it. So, I'd appreciate to hear the pros and cons and likes and dislikes of each. Thanks.

I don't know if you saw this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=10937 Ther is some good info there.

Default Zebco Sweet!!

I actually started fishing with a zebco 202 combo in Alaska. Then I moved up to a Zebco 404 combo. Then I bought a Zebco 808. I have caught every salmon species on a zebco spincast reels. I think they work ok, since cost is always an issue for me. Even though I always got made fun of for my choice in equipment by friends and people that stared, ribbed, and poked fun at me on the river. Especially the guys with $300 reels and $500 rods. I always managed to catch an equal amount or more than the other guys. I got video.

I was fishing with a 404 model one fall for coho. I hooked into a heavy shouldered fish that striped my plastic gears. I still kept fishing Zebco's until the next spring When I had the plastic base break in the reel seat. I finally realized I might want to re-think things. After looking around, opinions, magazines, price, I bought my first baitcaster Abu Garcia Ambassader 6500C3. I have never looked back. I now have the confidence to catch any salmon in Alaska. I have since purchased several models of baitcasters from the company and swear by them.

Abu Garcia service and customer relations has been top notch for me. I am rough on my gear and so is the silt waters of AK. I sent 4 reels to the company for service 3 years ago and I recieved 4 BRAND NEW REELS back. NO COST!! Plus they sent me a hat.

The reel was difficult for me to learn how to use. But I practiced a month (during the winter) casting different weights and adjusting the tension knob as described in the brochere that comes with the reel. I put egg weights of different sizes on and casted over and over..yes bird nest...yes cut out..yes kept practicing. Yoda encouraged me eveyday.

Yoda taught me that anything you do in live, thats worth doing, takes an extensive effort, the results of your effort will reap rewards. As a Salmon Jedi it is my responsibilty to share my experience in hopes that others won't make the mistakes I have.

I am not a guide. I do not sell anything. I do catch a lot of salmon. Good luck. Maybe you can write a review about your choice and experience later on and add it to the forum.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I read a good portion of that thread and was helpful, but not enough to help me in my decision. I do like the point mentioned that someone uses a lefty so they don't have to switch hands after the cast, so I'll definitely get a lefty if a baitcaster is what I choose.
    So I take it the closed face reels are put together with parts that are not tough enough for the fish here. Don't know why i didn't realize that.

IMO baitcasters are the only way to go except on an ultralight rod. When you get into the heavier lines they are considerably noiser on open face reels and won't cast half the distance. Those 2 reasons are enough for me. Problem most people have when they switch to a baitcaster is they try to chuck that lure and the result is a high speed start and stop on the spool = ratnest. The best thing to remember is to flip the lure not the whole stinking rod When starting people out on baitcasters I tighten the casting drag a little more than what it should be set at so they can practice the technique. As they get more comfortable you decrease that drag and the result is a smoother longer cast. My 2 boys mastered baitcasters by age 5 and that's no joke. They wouldn't use anything else either. Hope that helps.

A reel serves two purposes. It pays line out and it gathers line in. Your reel choice should be determined by what you'll do with it. ABU reels are have merit but they're not the best casters. If you're pulling plugs then casting isn't very important. I much prefer a 5501 over a 6501. Anything that says Shimano on the side will outcast an Abu but they can still get fouled. Quantum makes some really good baitcasters as well. Spinning reels are easy to cast so if you prefer to throw spinners they're a good choice. Regardless which you choose you will find a huge range in prices. You can buy a decent reel for $50, a pretty good one for $100, or a really REALLY good one for $500+. I can't imagine spending $500 for a spinning reel, but they're out there.

Forget the ego factor and get the best tool you can afford that suits your fishing style..

Hey, another word of advice. Many baitcasters now employ a thumb bar to release the spool. I find that feature to be awful. Whether a big reel or a small reel I want a release button aside the spool and a free path for my thumb to ride the spool. Thumb control is very important for both casting and fighting a fish. And if you intend to fish in the wind? You'll really curse casting a baitcaster. That's where the thumb thing really is important. You can dial all the adjustments all you want but if the wind changes you're screwed. The lighter the lure the bigger the problem.
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 03-31-2007 at 10:13.

Definatly get the 6501 instead of the 6500, left not a right handed reel for a right handed fisherman.

reason is two fold, you dont have to switch and you're fighting large or many fish with your strong arm!!!

You do it with a spinning reel,
    you do it with a closed face reel,
    but for some reason they are backwards with baitcasters. You'll understand when ya get into it.

If you in the interior (I didnt think to look before typing this), come on over, I can teach ya also before I leave for the summer. I have 2 abu garcia 6501s. I am a charter captian, I receive nothing for making any recommendations other then a hard time . For 100 bucks this reel when taken care of should last you quite a long time. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years now and short of pulling it apart and regreasing they've worked marvalesly.

One thing I might add is you might look into smoothie drag washers for this reel. The factory drag washers are good, keep them as backup. The smoooothies are awesome! If you can't find them look up lake fork tackle repair in Tx.
    Last edited by TradBow; 03-31-2007 at 11:55.

Default Reels

I think the low profile reels are considerably much easier to cast for the average bank angler because the features and settings are designed to reduce back lash. Abu Garcia makes the new Revo low profile baitcaster. Many top brands to choose from in all price ranges. Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum, Phlueger all make good reels. Make sure to check the line capacity, and gear ratio is adequate for your choice of fishing. I like the Shimano Curado 300 DSV because of the larger line capacity. However, it's a bit pricey and it does not have the left hand retrieve. Check out Cabelas.com